IDA-8 ($995) features and spec

spons

Re: IDA-8 ($995) features and spec
« Reply #340 on: 9 May 2016, 06:30 pm »
I asked this question over in the DAC-9 topic, but I now think I will be more likely to purchase an IDA-8, so I will ask it here and link to it from the DAC-9 thread.

Can anyone confirm that the IDA-8's volume control is adjustable through the USB input? I am about ready to purchase a SONORE microRendu or Sonicorbiter SE renderer to use as a Roon endpoint.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #341 on: 9 May 2016, 06:40 pm »
I asked this question over in the DAC-9 topic, but I now think I will be more likely to purchase an IDA-8, so I will ask it here and link to it from the DAC-9 thread.

Can anyone confirm that the IDA-8's volume control is adjustable through the USB input? I am about ready to purchase a SONORE microRendu or Sonicorbiter SE renderer to use as a Roon endpoint.

If there is a digital volume control in the MicroRendu or Sonic Obiter, then of course you can control the volume. Additionally, the IDA comes with two remotes.

Best,

Michael
(I own an IDA-8.)

John Casler

« Reply #342 on: 9 May 2016, 07:39 pm »

Yes, the IDA-8 Volume control functions on ALL inputs, including the USB.

spons

« Reply #343 on: 9 May 2016, 07:45 pm »
Thanks for the responses, but I now realize that I did not phrase my question clearly.

What I am wondering is this: when I move the volume slider on my Roon iPhone app (or jRemote app when running jRiver), does the volume on the IDA-9 change as if I were using the IDA-9's own IR remote control?

oldzorki

« Reply #344 on: 9 May 2016, 08:03 pm »
Thanks for the responses, but I now realize that I did not phrase my question clearly.

What I am wondering is this: when I move the volume slider on my Roon iPhone app (or jRemote app when running jRiver), does the volume on the IDA-9 change as if I were using the IDA-9's own IR remote control?
In this case you are not changing volume of IDA-8 -but volume of the feed. Volume of IDA-8 itself is not controllable by applications, obly volume of digital stream to it.
I am using IDA-8 with JRiver as a player - and I can control using JRiver volume for PCM, but not direct DSD (but it JRiver and driver functionality, and not of IDA-8).

John Casler

« Reply #345 on: 9 May 2016, 08:05 pm »

Oldzorki is correct, any external change in signal strength will not change the read out of the volume setting on the IDA-8.

The LED readout of the IDA-8 is telling you what volume level you have selected using the IDA-8 volume control, "not" what voltage strength you might adjust externally from your source.

And yes, if you adjust the external volume of the source, that will also adjust the actual volume you hear.

spons

« Reply #346 on: 9 May 2016, 09:39 pm »
Some DACS, like the Audioquest DragonFly and exaSound E12, have a USB-based volume control which allows you to control the unit's volume using the system level and the "slider" in whatever app used when playing music. I think this is a pretty rare option in USB DACs.

oldzorki

« Reply #347 on: 10 May 2016, 12:17 pm »
Some DACS, like the Audioquest DragonFly and exaSound E12, have a USB-based volume control which allows you to control the unit's volume using the system level and the "slider" in whatever app used when playing music. I think this is a pretty rare option in USB DACs.
I think you mixing it up.
With USB you control yet again what is going into DAC, not output volume actual DAC. And it is not rare, but common feature of al USB DACs. You do not control (in this case) DAC volume, just volume of what is going into DAC.
Simple example of analog world -
Imagine thsat you have a preamp plugged into integrated amp (regular input). Then you can control volume of your speakers via frist preamp, without touching volume control of intergated. In our case the source (USB output) is that first preamp.

ismarketing

« Reply #348 on: 12 May 2016, 12:40 pm »
Just got the new Sonore MicroRenu player, which is quite remarkable.  I'm thinking about getting a 2nd one for use with my IDA-8.

I know some Dacs have issues playing back from Linux based players on their USB inputs (my Devialet does).  Any issues I should be aware of with the IDA-8?

Thanks

snoocher

« Reply #349 on: 12 May 2016, 02:58 pm »
I just wanted to add a quick  :thumb: to both Nuprime and this forum. I received my IDA-8 a few weeks ago as a single box replacement for a Cambridge Audio Integrated and DAC. I made the swap primarily for aesthetics, but had a feeling the sound would improve as well.

This is for my secondary system in the living room and the IDA-8 has exceeded my expectations. Driving bookshelf B&W CM1s the clarity and bass are both substantially improved. It's making me think about going up the line for future upgrades to my 'reference' system.

Many of the old-school audio guys don't take the newer tech seriously, but this stuff is the real deal. Thank you!

agdev01

« Reply #350 on: 12 May 2016, 03:26 pm »
shouldn't be.  I haven't had any issues with my DAC-10.

kevb

« Reply #351 on: 12 May 2016, 09:03 pm »
Just got the new Sonore MicroRenu player, which is quite remarkable.  I'm thinking about getting a 2nd one for use with my IDA-8.

I know some Dacs have issues playing back from Linux based players on their USB inputs (my Devialet does).  Any issues I should be aware of with the IDA-8?

Thanks

I am using Daphile (linux based headless) with my IDA-8, with no issues.....once I read the FAQ carefully on the Daphile website.   :duh:  I had no volume...but playing with a couple of checkboxes fixed it.

rustydoglim

« Reply #352 on: 13 May 2016, 06:15 am »
I just wanted to add a quick  :thumb: to both Nuprime and this forum. I received my IDA-8 a few weeks ago as a single box replacement for a Cambridge Audio Integrated and DAC. I made the swap primarily for aesthetics, but had a feeling the sound would improve as well.

This is for my secondary system in the living room and the IDA-8 has exceeded my expectations. Driving bookshelf B&W CM1s the clarity and bass are both substantially improved. It's making me think about going up the line for future upgrades to my 'reference' system.

Many of the old-school audio guys don't take the newer tech seriously, but this stuff is the real deal. Thank you!

Thanks.  Please use the Amp Comparison Guide on our website for choosing the next amp, don't make your decision base on price.

oldzorki

« Reply #353 on: 16 May 2016, 06:26 pm »
Thanks.  Please use the Amp Comparison Guide on our website for choosing the next amp, don't make your decision base on price.
Hi,
I wonder if you saw this little snippet
Found interesting "bug" (or may be it is just my unit). If you set unit to "mute", it start blinking (as it should). Then turned it off, and when turned ON, it still stays on mute, but without "blinking" indication. Pressing mute again does not help. Swithcing sources back and forth (C1 and USB for example) "restarts" the sound.
Not a big deal, obviously, but something that probably needs to be fixed.
Is it my unit or common bug? Of course I do not consider it major , but still..

rustydoglim

« Reply #354 on: 17 May 2016, 05:49 pm »
Looks like you found an obscure bug. There is no firmware update for this since it is harmless. But I will pass it on to engineering.

gordon

« Reply #355 on: 24 Jun 2016, 12:20 am »
Wow. Just installed a new IDA-8 from Sonic Unity into my system replacing a Bel Canto Dac/Pre. Incredible improvement in dynamics, soundstage and overall engagement. The reviews are right, it sets a new bar. Thanks Nuprime. Highly recommended. :thumb:

Doublej

« Reply #356 on: 24 Jun 2016, 01:49 am »
Looks like you found an obscure bug. There is no firmware update for this since it is harmless. But I will pass it on to engineering.

I think I just heard Steve Jobs turning over in his grave.

stanleysg

« Reply #357 on: 18 Jul 2016, 06:39 am »
Just saw this review about the Nuprime IDA-8 + WR-100 from ON magazine. It is in French. Use google translator to translate if you are interested to find out what it say. The On Magazine has also awarded the IDA-8 + WR100 as "On - Top Audio 2016."
Well done Nuprime!!!
https://www.on-mag.fr/index.php/topaudio/tests-auditions/15020-test-nuprime-ida-8-wr-100-un-des-meilleurs-amplis-stereo-integres-du-moment-et-son-lecteur-reseau

Eisener Bart

« Reply #358 on: 18 Jul 2016, 07:59 am »
Just saw this review about the Nuprime IDA-8 + WR-100 from ON magazine. It is in French. Use google translator to translate if you are interested to find out what it say. The On Magazine has also awarded the IDA-8 + WR100 as "On - Top Audio 2016."
Well done Nuprime!!!
https://www.on-mag.fr/index.php/topaudio/tests-auditions/15020-test-nuprime-ida-8-wr-100-un-des-meilleurs-amplis-stereo-integres-du-moment-et-son-lecteur-reseau

Here is review on English language.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/buyers_guides/

ElenemOz

« Reply #359 on: 18 Jul 2016, 09:54 pm »
Hi, Zorki.

My wife and I are car traveling this year and I brought my IDA-8 with us. I have been using the Bluetooth input with either music in my iPhone or Tidal streaming. It is so convenient!

How do you pair the IDA-8 with a bluetooth device? There doesn't seem to be any button that puts it into pairing mode, and there's no mention in the user guide...
Thanks!
« Last Edit: 19 Jul 2016, 12:17 am by ElenemOz »