Nuprime IDA-8 DSD SACD ASIO help

DanM66

Nuprime IDA-8 DSD SACD ASIO help
« on: 17 Aug 2017, 11:24 pm »
Does anyone by chance have a detailed walk though of downloading the DSD/SACD/ASIO onto a Windows laptop?  I'm just not able to follow the instructions in the manual with success.  Yes, I have computer issues!
Thx, dan

Phil A

Re: Nuprime IDA-8 DSD SACD ASIO help
« Reply #1 on: 18 Aug 2017, 12:35 am »
Does anyone by chance have a detailed walk though of downloading the DSD/SACD/ASIO onto a Windows laptop?  I'm just not able to follow the instructions in the manual with success.  Yes, I have computer issues!
Thx, dan

I don't have my unit yet (bought a lightly used one for my desktop system early this AM so I'd imagine it might be the middle of next week when I get it) but when I do I will go thru the process (and I have multiple systems with music servers).  Can I ask what playback software and Windows version you are using?  Usually one needs to download the driver and then go into 'manage audio devices' from the control panel and select the proper driver.  Then with the playback software there usually is a set-up feature where you tell it what driver you are using.

I had lightning damage towards the latter part of March and I moved what I had in the office system to my bedroom (which also feeds the outdoor speakers).  The receiver that was in the bedroom was damaged and it has no HDMI.  But after getting the sound card in the PC replaced about a month and a half back, I just wasn't happy with what I was hearing.  I have decent speakers for the office system (Selah Audio SA2s - pic below) and I do downloads and extract DSD files from SACDs on the main PC so I wanted something a bit better and saw a recent listing on Audiogon and made an offer.

DanM66

« Reply #2 on: 18 Aug 2017, 12:39 am »
The nuprime manual has a walk though first to recognize the nuprime, then you need to add the DSD SACD and ASiO as per the manual.  I tried but I'm not comfortable enough to know what I'm doing.  Hope someone has a video of the process they would share.....
You'll love the nuprime, sounds incredible

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 18 Aug 2017, 12:43 am »
I helped a friend a couple of weeks back with his Musical Paradise DAC.  Had to hook up the DAC to get the driver to work.  I have 3 DACs and just had to download the driver (2 of the DACs are currently being used with Windows 10 systems and JRiver and prior to acquiring a Lumin U1 for the main system, I had used my main system DAC with a Windows 10 music server).

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 18 Aug 2017, 12:45 am »

You'll love the nuprime, sounds incredible

I'm looking forward to it.  My desktop speakers are nice (pic below) and after the lightning damage, what I moved into the office just didn't do it for me.

DanM66

« Reply #5 on: 18 Aug 2017, 12:49 am »
http://www.bluecircle.com/page95.html

Check these out for your lightning mishap

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 18 Aug 2017, 12:57 am »
I actually downloaded the manual earlier today and I just looked at it.  The instructions are for Foobar - is that what you are using for playback software?  My friend's Musical Paradise had similar instructions for Foobar but computer audio was something new to him (he's played with it a very little bit at my house and also when he has visited others).  So I set him up with the 30 days trial of JRiver and he asked a couple of questions the next day or so but seems to be doing well with it. It's basically a similar process I described in my earlier post.  There are videos on Foobar too - e.g. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA3CT2zNs4E

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 18 Aug 2017, 01:01 am »
http://www.bluecircle.com/page95.html

Check these out for your lightning mishap

Had a couple of those and a whole house surge protector (in addition to local surge devices) and still had damage.  I've replaced the whole house unit and also added more of the Yalu Bulalas.  Below is one that fried (and stuff was still damaged on that circuit after taking it out and the whole house surge protector and the local devices).

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 18 Aug 2017, 01:02 am »
May not show up that great but the inside of the receptacle was slightly melted too.

DanM66

« Reply #9 on: 18 Aug 2017, 01:04 am »
Yikes, hopefully that little yellow thing saved a whole bunch of additional damage!

Phil A

« Reply #10 on: 18 Aug 2017, 01:23 am »
Yikes, hopefully that little yellow thing saved a whole bunch of additional damage!

It was really random.  My Torus RM-20 shut down and none of the major components in the main system were damaged.  However, it is an integrated AV system (I have 50 amps of service just for it and the major 2-channel stuff is plugged into the Torus and then into a 20 amp circuit).  I have two 15 amp dedicated circuits.  It took out a monoblock amp on one for the center channel, the receiver (a fairly new Onkyo TX-RZ3100) on the other and then my HT sub (Dayton Audio Titanic Mk. iii) on the common living room circuits.  Took out the bedroom receiver's HDMI, the HDMI cable running thru the attic to the bedroom projector, the HDMI input on the bedroom projector, my motherboard to the pool pump, a board in my pool heater, two TVs, computer monitor, computer sound card, network DVR and one of the 8 cameras in it, a couple of network switches, router and other stuff.  I was sitting in front of the computer monitor when it happened and that looked like polergeist for a few minutes before it went dead. I could just about feel the electrical field in front of me.  I don't even want to talk about the insurance company (I had to do all the work, not sure what I pay premiums for and they were not what I would call pleasant).  I just had a board in the dishwasher go (it had been smelling funny since it happened - only run it about once every week and a half) and didn't even want to go back to the insurance company and deal with their nonsense.

I got the sound card fixed probably just under a couple of months back and upgraded the onboard video (the PC is fairly new).  That's why I re-bought some stuff and moved stuff around.  I gave it a chance with what I had left for the office and just wasn't doing it for me (I have other nice systems).  So I began looking and just decided for my use, I wanted an integrated.  The IDA-8 was listed that day.  I made an offer but didn't hear back from the seller and thought it was going to expire (it stays for 48 hours on Audiogon).  I woke up at 1AM and looked at my phone and saw the email that the offer was accepted and sent payment.  He must have accepted the offer just before it expired.  I'll contact him tomorrow and ask him to give me tracking info (he's only a bit over 2.5 hours away - paid for shipping but I'd be willing to meet half way).

Phil A

« Reply #11 on: 23 Aug 2017, 01:38 am »
Just an update - got home just before 8PM and the IDA-8 was at my front door.  I had to shuffle stuff around (what I was using previously to drive the speakers was several feet away and against a side wall and at some point I may make new and shorter speaker wire but for now folded everything behind the PC) and I downloaded the driver from the site before I took it out of the box.  I checked my 'manage audio devices' setting on the PC and it was fine and then I opened JRiver and changed my audio options for the driver and was up and running right away.  Only have listened to a couple of things but it seems to sound really nice.

DanM66

« Reply #12 on: 24 Aug 2017, 10:45 pm »
I have mine up and running... if you hit the U3 on the remote you can see the res your playing, which is cool.  I think it sounds great with the Martin logan bookshelfs I'm using! 
A lot of sound from that small box!

Phil A

« Reply #13 on: 24 Aug 2017, 11:41 pm »
I have mine up and running... if you hit the U3 on the remote you can see the res your playing, which is cool.  I think it sounds great with the Martin logan bookshelfs I'm using! 
A lot of sound from that small box!

I totally agree.  I was actually surprised.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #14 on: 25 Aug 2017, 03:25 am »
Dan and Phil,

It's kind of surprising that such a small package (amp/DAC/preamp) for under $1000 can sound this good, isn't it? [I'm not suggesting it beats high-end very expensive units, but it more than hits all the right places for its price.]

This is my travel amp until my son decides he wants it, or I upgrade to the IDA-16, or it stays with me as my office amp.

Enjoy!

Phil A

« Reply #15 on: 25 Aug 2017, 03:10 pm »
Dan and Phil,

It's kind of surprising that such a small package (amp/DAC/preamp) for under $1000 can sound this good, isn't it? [I'm not suggesting it beats high-end very expensive units, but it more than hits all the right places for its price.]

This is my travel amp until my son decides he wants it, or I upgrade to the IDA-16, or it stays with me as my office amp.

Enjoy!

I agree.  I was stunned (way exceeded my expectations).  Was probably not that far off from buying something more expensive which I did not want to do for the desktop system.  I have nice speakers (Selah Audio SA2s) and I do stuff like listen to music samples before I buy something or extract SACDs so I wanted something decent.

Samac

« Reply #16 on: 25 Aug 2017, 05:34 pm »
Glad you guys are enjoying your IDA-8s and it's great to read more comments on NuPrime amps. I love mine. I am surprised you don't hear more people on here and other forums talking about them. They are great performers and very good values. :thumb:

Cheers,

Scott

DanM66

« Reply #17 on: 31 Aug 2017, 12:29 am »
I've had Naim, McIntosh, Luxman and now the Nuprime.  My first steps into high res music.  Sounds fantastic.  I am using Martin Logan motion 15 bookshelf speakers and the music really sounds fantastic.  I'm not going to say it sounds as good as some of my past systems but at a fifth of the price this combo sounds fantastic.  I'm not big on bass but moreso on voice and guitar.... the nuprime and logans are a perfect fit.

Phil A

« Reply #18 on: 31 Aug 2017, 01:20 am »
I'd concur that they are a great value for the money.  I have higher end systems in the house now.  I do spent a fair amount of time on the computer (either places like here) or ripping music.  I am very happy with the purchase.

rustydoglim

« Reply #19 on: 11 Sep 2017, 04:42 pm »
The FAQ points to guides on using JRiver etc.
http://www.nuprimeaudio.com/index.php/guides/faq.html#faq_37