Roon Volume Leveling

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Roon Volume Leveling
« on: 23 May 2017, 02:21 am »
I finally caved and enabled it and boy am I glad I did.  No more constantly adjusting the volume with the remote.  Pretty much find myself just listening at the same volume all the time which is SO nice. 

Some screen shots...

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Volume_Leveling

SFDude

Re: Roon Volume Leveling
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2017, 03:12 pm »
Thanks for the tip. Just enabled it myself and liking the CONSISTENT in volume levels across all digital sources (FLAC, DSD/DSF and Tidal).  :thumb:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2017, 06:41 pm »
Thanks for the tip. Just enabled it myself and liking the CONSISTENT in volume levels across all digital sources (FLAC, DSD/DSF and Tidal).  :thumb:
You're welcome!  Yes, it's quite nice and I find myself listening at more reasonable levels too and not messing with the level every track.   :thumb:

firedog

« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2017, 06:14 am »
No one is finding that is dulls the sound a bit?
When I tried it in the past that is what I found.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2017, 02:14 pm »
No one is finding that is dulls the sound a bit?
When I tried it in the past that is what I found.
Not at all.  It drops the SPL so you might need to adjust the volume level up to get more SPL but as far as degrading the sonics?  Nope. 

goskers

« Reply #5 on: 24 May 2017, 02:24 pm »
I changed my settings last week and then turned it off again.

It does drop the overall level so this needs to be adjusted.  I can't say I have heard any difference other than the overall level being lower. 

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 24 May 2017, 02:26 pm »
I changed my settings last week and then turned it off again.

It does drop the overall level so this needs to be adjusted.  I can't say I have heard any difference other than the overall level being lower.
That's how it's supposed to work though.  You can click on album info and it will tell you how much it drops each album by. 

slefley

« Reply #7 on: 25 May 2017, 07:14 pm »
jtwrace - thank you for starting this thread.  I live in a condo and try to control the volume so I don't irritate my neighbors and it was driving me crazy to adjust the volume between just about every track.  I enabled Volume Leveling and so far every track I've played has the same peak volume (within a dB or so).  Naturally this means that on tracks with a wide dynamic range the quiet parts may be a lower volume than I'd prefer (since the VL function seems to set the maximum level), but at least I can just enjoy the music without worrying about blasting the neighbors.  Sooo much better!!  Thanks again.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: 22 Jun 2017, 02:08 am »
jtwrace - thank you for starting this thread.  I live in a condo and try to control the volume so I don't irritate my neighbors and it was driving me crazy to adjust the volume between just about every track.  I enabled Volume Leveling and so far every track I've played has the same peak volume (within a dB or so).  Naturally this means that on tracks with a wide dynamic range the quiet parts may be a lower volume than I'd prefer (since the VL function seems to set the maximum level), but at least I can just enjoy the music without worrying about blasting the neighbors.  Sooo much better!!  Thanks again.
Glad it's working for you.   :thumb: