So how Beta is Tidal on BDP

Larry Dickman

• Restricted
So how Beta is Tidal on BDP
« on: 17 May 2017, 11:01 pm »
Ok so I was able to sign in, but either I'm an incompetent boob or the app essentially doesn't work.  I rarely actually get sound. Back buttons don't work. It's super slow. Clicking on "show all" (as in albums of an artist) has no effect.

Tezza009

Re: So how Beta is Tidal on BDP
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2017, 11:30 pm »
Same for me with BDP-1. I can connect and get it to work but it is so slow as to be unusable. Network is fine for other things.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2017, 11:36 pm »
Hi

This is the BDP-Pi?

If so I have one running now and Tidal works fine?

What software are you using and is it possible your network is very slow?

james

Larry Dickman

• Restricted
« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2017, 01:36 am »
Hi

This is the BDP-Pi?

If so I have one running now and Tidal works fine?

What software are you using and is it possible your network is very slow?

james
It's almost like the thing crashes, in a way. I pick a song and it will play normally, but everything is downhill after that. Slow slow slow. No sound after maybe playing a second song. I haven't even got to the point where I can determine if it will automatically play the next track if I want to play a whole album. Clicking things might have an effect, or more likely, nothing happens. It is unusable.

Tidal's app for my desktop works fine, but that doesn't get sound to my stereo system. I need BDP/Manic Moose app to do that. Don't know if my network is slow, but it works fine for everything else, including using Manic Moose to play my stored music files. I use a Netgear WNDR4500v2 router and everything is connected vis Ethernet, no wireless. It's not exactly got a lot of things hooked up to it, just my computer, a Roku, and the BDP. Question: In the manic moose tidal app, under settings, there are two choices for device: snd_rpi_hifiberry_digi OR bcm2835 ALSA bcm2835 ALSA. What's the difference? Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "What software are you using?"

I would really really really like Tidal to work, and play CD quality sound without...having to buy the CD!
« Last Edit: 18 May 2017, 05:58 pm by Larry Dickman »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2017, 10:07 am »
Ok Chris Rice may have some ideas on what is going on.  I will ask him to comment.

james

bluemeanies

« Reply #5 on: 18 May 2017, 11:35 am »
It's almost like the thing crashes, in a way. I pick a song and it will play normally, but everything is downhill after that. Slow slow slow. No sound after maybe playing a second song. I haven't even got to the point where I can determine if it will automatically play the next track if I want to play a whole album. Clicking things might have an effect, or more likely, nothing happens. It is unusable.

Tidal's app for my computer works fine, but that doesn't get sound to my stereo system. I need BDP/Manic Moose app to do that. Don't know if my network is slow, but it works fine for everything else, including using Manic Moose to play my stored music files. I use a Netgear WNDR4500v2 router and everything is connected vis Ethernet, no wireless. It's not exactly got a lot of things hooked up to it, just my computer, a Roku, and the BDP. Question: In the manic moose tidal app, under settings, there are two choices for device: snd_rpi_hifiberry_digi OR bcm2835 ALSA bcm2835 ALSA. What's the difference? Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "What software are you using?"

I would really really really like Tidal to work, and play CD quality sound without...having to buy the CD!

Not to burst your bubble or break stones..I have been using TIDAL for over a year with virtually little problem. Occasionally there is a drop off of music but rarely.
First I am using the TIDAL app on my third generation iPad. If I do have an issue with drop off I clear my browser and that seems to solve the problem. Sometimes I have to delete the app and then reinstall with same username and password.
I am living in the US on the east coast and have COMCAST as my cable server. They are friggin bandits as far as rates are concerned but that's another issue.
My suggestion to you would be first to do as I have done "clear your browser" Second, delete the TIDAL app. Third re-install the app and sign in using same username and password. In TIDAL go to settings and make sure your in Hi-Fi mode.
Actually maybe the first thing you should do is check with your cable provider and find out what speed for your internet you are paying for with that company. If it is not the fastest...I would switch and see if that makes the difference.
Hope these little tweets help.
blue

Larry Dickman

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 18 May 2017, 03:39 pm »
Not to burst your bubble or break stones..I have been using TIDAL for over a year with virtually little problem. Occasionally there is a drop off of music but rarely.
First I am using the TIDAL app on my third generation iPad. If I do have an issue with drop off I clear my browser and that seems to solve the problem. Sometimes I have to delete the app and then reinstall with same username and password.
I am living in the US on the east coast and have COMCAST as my cable server. They are friggin bandits as far as rates are concerned but that's another issue.
My suggestion to you would be first to do as I have done "clear your browser" Second, delete the TIDAL app. Third re-install the app and sign in using same username and password. In TIDAL go to settings and make sure your in Hi-Fi mode.
Actually maybe the first thing you should do is check with your cable provider and find out what speed for your internet you are paying for with that company. If it is not the fastest...I would switch and see if that makes the difference.
Hope these little tweets help.
blue
I don't have a problem with the Tidal desktop/mobile device apps, or using Tidal's website. I use them to listen over computer speakers or with headphones. They work just fine, but that doesn't get sound to my stereo system. I need the BPD to do that. It is the Tidal app within the Manic Moose Media Player that comes with the BDP that is causing me fits. It cannot be deleted and reinstalled, it is an integral part of Manic Moose. I've tested my internet speed and it is just fine. I play HD movies via Roku with no problems.

Today's problem: Navigation working better, but NO SOUND!

When I read the literature on Bryston's website, it said "...enjoy lossless TIDAL streaming all on the BDP-π" I just want what is advertised.
« Last Edit: 18 May 2017, 04:45 pm by Larry Dickman »

MoPac

« Reply #7 on: 18 May 2017, 04:50 pm »

Larry:

I agree with the "Beta" assessment.  My Tidal has never worked on the BDP-2.  The sign in works and shows a welcome message, but nothing ever loads.

Chris has had access in Service Mode and says he was able to get Tidal to load stuff, but it does not work with my account.

See the welcome at the top left of the screen.

Rich   

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 18 May 2017, 05:12 pm »
Do you have the Settings Page set up this way?

james

Krutsch

« Reply #9 on: 18 May 2017, 05:16 pm »
Ok so I was able to sign in, but either I'm an incompetent boob or the app essentially doesn't work.  I rarely actually get sound. Back buttons don't work. It's super slow. Clicking on "show all" (as in albums of an artist) has no effect.

+1 ... to some of this. I haven't had too many sound issues, but the BACK button doesn't work, unless you click on it a number of times, in which case it returns you to the top-level TIDAL screen. This makes it extremely difficult to browse and sample music.

The normal TIDAL sort options are not available, so sorting by last added or artist name isn't an option. Again, makes it very difficult to use.

And, yes, the TIDAL UI is slow.

I've reported these issues in the past, but updating the Manic Moose TIDAL UI seems to be low priority.

If you want to really explore TIDAL, consider using Roon. The Roon app on the BDP (with the latest BETA) sounds good and browsing your local collection and what's on TIDAL is an amazing experience.

No, Roon isn't free and, yes, Roon requires another PC/Mac somewhere to act as a library server.

MoPac

« Reply #10 on: 18 May 2017, 05:30 pm »
Yeah! I get to answer my own post.

Changed the password to a simpler one and all now shows.  Seems odd that I would have to do that.

Thanks Blik9 for the suggestion.

Rich

Larry Dickman

• Restricted
« Reply #11 on: 18 May 2017, 05:45 pm »
MoPac, Krutsch, Tezza009 : Thanks for your input. At least I'm not alone.
MoPac: I also had problems signing in until I changed to a simpler password (no special characters).
James T: the bcm thingy was the default playback device setting. I have had problems with both, I'll see if current problem of no sound can be fixed by making sure it is set to hifiberry.

To use an old expression of mine that I haven't used in years, but seems appropriate here, this sucks moose. I didn't expect this media player to be as sophisticated as my JRiver, but it is pretty primitive by comparison. My collection of music files, be it high-res or CD quality, is relatively small. So getting Tidal to my stereo is one of the main reasons I purchased the BDP-pi. (Plus its compact size, and Bryston's reputation for quality.) Something must be done about this.

Larry Dickman

• Restricted
« Reply #12 on: 18 May 2017, 06:35 pm »
Update: making sure device setting is hifiberry solved no sound problem.

You have to know what the various icons do from memory.  (It doesn't say if you mouse over them.) I find the way to play an album a bit clunky, you click on the (+) to add all the tracks to your queue, but not sure if this automatically starts playing the album. After a while of playing stuff you get an unwieldy queue.

So I think there is a learning curve for me, but I can say at least I'm now getting to play music, but there are still some bugs, anomalies, and inconveniences such as the back button and sometimes you click on something and get something other than you thought you would.

But I seem to be doing much better than yesterday. Hope it gets better.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #13 on: 18 May 2017, 06:37 pm »
Update: making sure device setting is hifiberry solved no sound problem.

You have to know what the various icons do from memory.  (It doesn't say if you mouse over them.) I find the way to play an album a bit clunky, you click on the (+) to add all the tracks to your queue, but not sure if this automatically starts playing the album. After a while of playing stuff you get an unwieldy queue.

So I think there is a learning curve for me, but I can say at least I'm now getting to play music, but there are still some bugs, anomalies, and inconveniences such as the back button and sometimes you click on something and get something other than you thought you would.

But I seem to be doing much better than yesterday. Hope it gets better.

Hi Larry,

Please place the BDP into service mode and email us the service id.

http://support.bryston.com/downloads/BDP/Manic%20Moose%20Manual.pdf

Cheers,
Chris

Larry Dickman

• Restricted
« Reply #14 on: 24 May 2017, 02:26 am »
Hi, Folks. I've been living with the BDP-pi for about a week. Any questions I have so far are about the Media Player, not the hardware.

Don't know why I had so much trouble initially, things are going much better, but I have a question.

Searching the internet, by chance I discovered I could get a 60-day free trial to Roon via Bryston. It involves enabling Roon in the Manic Moose player ("Services" at the bottom right of the screen) and copying and pasting the generated code in Roon's website (Partners>Bryston).

There is really only one thing (so far) that would make me want Roon: Tidal 'Artist Radio'. This feature is missing from Manic Moose Tidal app, as far as I can tell. I very much like this feature. However I can't see spending $100+/year just for that. I don't need a wireless whole house network, I live in a studio apartment, I don't own a smartphone, and I don't own hundreds of albums to organize. 

I guess the user interface on Roon is more advanced than MM, but for my purposes I don't really need it. So...will MM add the 'Artist Radio' feature? So much better than listening to lower quality internet radio (I think).   

Edited to add: Roon users, what are your favorite features about it?

Grant Hill

« Reply #15 on: 24 May 2017, 11:53 am »
Hi Larry,

I don't own a BDP but consider that you'll need a NAS or a PC/MAC to install roon core... if I'm not wrong the only possibility to use Roon without a PC it will be maybe with BDP3

BDP owners please correct me if I am wrong.

MoPac

« Reply #16 on: 24 May 2017, 04:43 pm »
Hey All:
 Another thing that makes BDP Tidal seem Beta is the fact that it does not do gapless play. :(  I have a Bluesound Node-2 which has no problem with Tidal gapless.

Rich

Krutsch

« Reply #17 on: 24 May 2017, 06:35 pm »
Hey All:
 Another thing that makes BDP Tidal seem Beta is the fact that it does not do gapless play. :(  I have a Bluesound Node-2 which has no problem with Tidal gapless.

Rich

Yes, I forgot about that issue - a big one.

Larry Dickman

• Restricted
« Reply #18 on: 24 May 2017, 08:50 pm »
I've discovered since yesterday that Tidal "artist radio" is very incomplete on Roon. Only a smattering of artists has this feature on Roon.

Gapless play may make a Roon subscription worthwhile. Well I have 60 days to decide. At some point I will switch off Roon and see how I like going back to Manic Moose and see if I truly need Roon.

Someone mentioned Bluesound, and I looked at their products online. What is the difference between the $499 Node 2 and the $1295 Bryston BDP-pi? They both seem to do essentially the same thing, though the Bluesound has a built-in DAC (and an output for an external DAC, like the Bryston) and can go wireless.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #19 on: 24 May 2017, 09:47 pm »

The next firmware release will see the addition of a button to add an artists radio playlist to the queue and the gapless playback will be fixed on the BDP-Pi, BDP-2 and BDP-3 (never existed on the BDP-1)