12v trigger mono to stereo?

retnuh

12v trigger mono to stereo?
« on: 7 May 2017, 03:29 pm »
My preamp has mono 12v trigger outs and the manual states not to use a stereo cable. The ST-10 however requires a stereo cable. How might I handle the conversion so I can trigger the amp?

Evoke

• Industry Contributor
    • EVOKE Planar Loudspeakers
Re: 12v trigger mono to stereo?
« Reply #1 on: 8 May 2017, 04:09 pm »
My preamp has mono 12v trigger outs and the manual states not to use a stereo cable. The ST-10 however requires a stereo cable. How might I handle the conversion so I can trigger the amp?

I just checked the owners manual for ST-10 and I don't see a reference for a stereo trigger cable. (Page 8). A mono cable is the usual cable used for trigger systems. If you can reference where you saw this that could help.

Thanks, Mark

retnuh

« Reply #2 on: 8 May 2017, 05:55 pm »
From the website's faq section
What kind of trigger cable can be used for your products?
When a device has a 12V trigger input, it is designed to be turned on when a 12V is detected. You can use any standard male to male 3.5mm (3-pin type) cable.

3-pin being a stereo cable, unless I'm mistaken.

I'm trying to find other references, I thought there were more than just this:
Yes. It uses a 12v trigger. One oddity is that it requires a stereo 3.5 mm plug for some reason. A mono cable/plug will not work.

Evoke

• Industry Contributor
    • EVOKE Planar Loudspeakers
« Reply #3 on: 8 May 2017, 06:14 pm »
From the website's faq section
3-pin being a stereo cable, unless I'm mistaken.

I'm trying to find other references, I thought there were more than just this:

Yes - I see what you are saying. I've always had 2-pin cables available myself. I can't imagine why a 3-pin wouldn't work as well. The circuit is pretty simple. If you want to delve deeper, you might want to ask on their help desk: http://www.nuoem.com/osticket/upload/

retnuh

« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2017, 01:35 am »
Here's a solution in case anyone else runs into this.

Support: "starting from the tip of stereo plug 12V, 12V, ground"

You'll need a mono -> stereo adapter that's wired to each channel, and a 3.5mm stereo cable.

So really easy solution, I just didn't want to try anything until I knew the pin out.

rustydoglim

• Facilitator
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #5 on: 27 May 2017, 11:58 pm »
If your control device has trigger out that use only mono plug, you need to do the wiring from mono 12V to the two 12V pins on the stereo plug.