ST-10 Questions

Genez

Re: ST-10 Questions
« Reply #20 on: 28 Mar 2017, 02:54 am »
If your power conditioner has higher filtering designed for analog circuit and less for digital, then treat Class D amp as digital as far as the power conditioner is concerned. Class D design is by nature much noisier than pure Class A design.

Sorry..  What did you mean by "higher filtering?"  I always thought that the digital filtering filters out at higher frequencies.  I must be not understanding what you meant. 

Curious... Would the amp be happier in a non-filtered socket?

JackD

« Reply #21 on: 28 Mar 2017, 03:39 am »
I would never plug an amp into a filtered or current limited outlet, but in the end put it in the one that sounds best to you instead of the one that someone else thinks is theoretically correct.  My ST-10 is in a "non-filtered" SurgeX in it's current system location. 

Genez

« Reply #22 on: 28 Mar 2017, 04:01 am »
I would never plug an amp into a filtered or current limited outlet, but in the end put it in the one that sounds best to you instead of the one that someone else thinks is theoretically correct.  My ST-10 is in a "non-filtered" SurgeX in it's current system location.

Jack... you may be right.   But that rule applies usually to high current solid state or tube amps.  This is a different animal.  I will wait to see what Jason says to be sure.  BTW.. The ST-10 draws very little current compared to your typical amp.  Furman once thought my conditioner might have been defective when I told them the reading I was getting.   I now use an Adept Response in my system and there is no current limiting.   Not sure if the Furman does either.  Not all conditioners will.   

There is kick back noise into the AC line with certain designs. Digital can be the biggest offender potentially.  That is what I wish to avoid as much as possible.

JackD

« Reply #23 on: 28 Mar 2017, 05:10 am »
Gene

You do whatever you feel comfortable with, but I just trust my own ears.

Genez

« Reply #24 on: 28 Mar 2017, 05:42 am »
Gene

You do whatever you feel comfortable with, but I just trust my own ears.

On your system... that's fine for you.  Mine reveals things differently than yours does.  I want to start off with an objective foundation if there is one.  I want to know what NuPrime understands first. Then I may experiment.  But first there may be advice to be learned, that once understood, will let me know what I am working with.

Certain components may have a preferred filtering to use.   Some may not.  But, if I have no objective foundation to work with?  I may be plugging in one component into an outlet, that to my ears might be offsetting a coloration being caused by another component being placed in a less than optimal filter.   If that's not the case?   Then I will at least know that is so when told so by the one who knows the equipment.  That's all I am asking for to find out.

I have learned in the past that there may be something that I am assuming... But, once shown its not the case?   Suddenly certain pieces fall into place. 

Genez

« Reply #25 on: 29 Mar 2017, 10:24 pm »

Welllll... just learned something.   When someone is asking a question like mine? ... It just might simply indicate something is not sounding right in his system.  I was trying to narrow it down. 

Just discovered the real culprit.  Speaker cables are normally not shielded.  Mine are not.  (shielding tends to blunt the leading edge when they are) 

One problem with not being shielded is to place the speaker cables in close proximity to metal shelving, or tubing.  On my system, it effected the sound in a bad way. 

Created some cord loops to pull and keep the speaker cables away. Guess what?  Now my amp sounds good without using a digital filtered outlet.   :wink:

JackD

« Reply #26 on: 29 Mar 2017, 11:47 pm »
Gene

Didn't get the impression you had any issues but rather were asking a general question.  If you  were and worked it all out then that's great. 

qstlin

« Reply #27 on: 11 May 2017, 03:25 pm »
Hi guys,

I bought ST-10 in March,and ST-10 really has great performance .
But I found there is a little noise from my ST-10.
The noise is sounded like a high pitched squeal of PC's PSU.
When ST-10 is ON (no input ) or Standby(music stop ) the noise can be heard,
only removing the power plug from the wall can stop the noise.
The volume of noise is little , but it is clear in the quiet room.
I was wondering  whether it is normal?

Genez

« Reply #28 on: 11 May 2017, 05:11 pm »
Hi guys,

I do not own at present an ST-10. But I have auditioned one and can say its an excellent sounding amplifier.  I own an amplifier designed by the same designer team. What you might be experiencing I did when my amp was new. Are you using a quality power cord?   Pangea makes one that is not expensive and is shielded to keep out noises to the amp. But?  If you are plugging directly into a wall socket?  That may be a cause in itself.  You use no AC conditioner for your system? 

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #29 on: 11 May 2017, 06:28 pm »
qstlin,

Hello. I own an ST-10. I also auditioned a separate ST-10 months before I purchased my unit. I did not detect the noise you describe in either unit. However, I will be 57 in a couple weeks and my ears are not as sensitive as they once were.  :(

qstlin

« Reply #30 on: 12 May 2017, 12:52 am »
I do not own at present an ST-10. But I have auditioned one and can say its an excellent sounding amplifier.  I own an amplifier designed by the same designer team. What you might be experiencing I did when my amp was new. Are you using a quality power cord?   Pangea makes one that is not expensive and is shielded to keep out noises to the amp. But?  If you are plugging directly into a wall socket?  That may be a cause in itself.  You use no AC conditioner for your system? 

Hello

I don't have AC conditioner (is it necessary ? ) and just plug my ST-10 into a wall socket.
When the noise found,I try 3 of power cords and get the same noise.

Thank you.

qstlin,

Hello. I own an ST-10. I also auditioned a separate ST-10 months before I purchased my unit. I did not detect the noise you describe in either unit. However, I will be 57 in a couple weeks and my ears are not as sensitive as they once were.  :(

Hi,

The noise only can be heard in the quiet room.
When music played,just left good sound. :)

C'est la vie! C'est la vie!

Thanks.

Genez

« Reply #31 on: 12 May 2017, 05:23 am »
Hi guys,

What kind of system are you listening to?  Desktop?  In room speakers?   How far are you sitting away from the speakers?   Are you playing with a computer?  You should only hear a very low hiss if you put your ears right up to the speaker.

You might have something where you live feeding lots of noise into your AC lines. If that is the case?   And you do not want to get a conditioner?  You might be better off getting a few of these and plug them into your AC outlets near your system. Audio Prism Quietlines. https://www.musicdirect.com/power/audioprism-quietline-filter-mk3-ea I use them where I live...