STA-9 Newbie perplexed . . .

woof

STA-9 Newbie perplexed . . .
« on: 9 Nov 2016, 03:06 am »
First, the amp idles so very warm that I turn it off after every session.  Does it idle down and run cooler after a certain amount of time or does it continue to run nearly hot?

Second, I saw an FAQ about a 12V cable that was listed as power up/power down trigger.  I haven't seen any type of connection for such a trigger cable so am I blind or was the info just listed incorrectly on the website?

Thanks

srb

Re: STA-9 Newbie perplexed . . .
« Reply #1 on: 9 Nov 2016, 03:25 am »
The ST-10 amplifier has a 12V trigger input, the STA-9 does not.

Where did you see a FAQ that talked about a trigger input for the STA-9?  The only FAQ I have seen that speaks to an amplifier trigger input is Where can I find a Turn-On trigger cable for MCH-K38 for the MCH-K38 multi-channel amplifier.

Steve

rustydoglim

« Reply #2 on: 9 Nov 2016, 04:49 am »
Please check the back panel of STA-9, there is no 12V Trigger In.
STA-9 is a hybrid A+D design, with a linear power supply. Yes, it gets warm with idle power consumption of 14W (that's the heat of a small light bulb). The top cover of STA-9 (and most of our products where there are no vent) is used as heatsink.  There is a FAQ that talks about advantages of using chassis as heatsink.

Gimpinchair

« Reply #3 on: 11 Nov 2016, 08:48 pm »
Does this mean the amp can be left on when not in use? Like over night?

rustydoglim

« Reply #4 on: 11 Nov 2016, 09:40 pm »
Sure, it will be like wasting the energy of a 14W light bulb.

woof

« Reply #5 on: 17 Nov 2016, 06:22 am »
The ST-10 amplifier has a 12V trigger input, the STA-9 does not.

Where did you see a FAQ that talked about a trigger input for the STA-9?  The only FAQ I have seen that speaks to an amplifier trigger input is Where can I find a Turn-On trigger cable for MCH-K38 for the MCH-K38 multi-channel amplifier.

Steve

You are correct.  The FAQ was under what I thought to be the STA-9.

woof

« Reply #6 on: 17 Nov 2016, 06:28 am »
Sure, it will be like wasting the energy of a 14W light bulb.

This is where I was going with this thread.  The amp seems to run really warm to be left on 24 hours a day yet the power switch is less than convenient with my amp being placed in a cabinet.  Is there a shortening of amp life if left on continuously or should it be cycled off at the end of the day?  I would hate to degrade the sound of the amp prematurely by keeping it overheated.  My speakers are 99db efficient so it will always operate in Class A.

Is there a similar amp that doesn't run Class A that would see a constant idle as a non-event?

Thanks!

srb

« Reply #7 on: 17 Nov 2016, 06:38 am »
The FAQ was under what I thought to be the STA-9.

That FAQ concerning the MCH-K38 is listed on the main FAQ page under Power Amp, but it's also referenced on the STA-9 page along with "MCH-K38 front panel buttons and LED lights " where neither makes contextual sense.  Probably an overzealous and unchecked copy and paste operation.

rustydoglim

« Reply #8 on: 17 Nov 2016, 03:42 pm »
This is a highly rated $40 power strip with remote control:
https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-8-Outlet-Conserve-Protector-F7C01008q/dp/B003P2UMNK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479397098&sr=8-1&keywords=power+strip+with+remote+control

And if you want to add noise filter, there is no need to go for expensive stuff, add a Tripp Lite Isobar power strip connecting to the remote power strip.

woof

« Reply #9 on: 3 Dec 2016, 10:05 pm »
This is a highly rated $40 power strip with remote control:
https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-8-Outlet-Conserve-Protector-F7C01008q/dp/B003P2UMNK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479397098&sr=8-1&keywords=power+strip+with+remote+control

And if you want to add noise filter, there is no need to go for expensive stuff, add a Tripp Lite Isobar power strip connecting to the remote power strip.

I may try one of these.  Big time convenience.   Thanks

woof

« Reply #10 on: 16 Jan 2017, 10:27 pm »
Follow up: I did find a three-pack of remote receptacles for <$30 on eBay. Plugged one into my Isobar box and it works flawlessly with my STA-9. Seems that the problem is solved. One thing, the receptacle itself is rated for 10 amps only.  With high-efficiency speakers, such as Zu's, this probably won't be a problem.  But, what about less efficient speakers?  Will the 10 amp speed limit ever be a problem?

rustydoglim

« Reply #11 on: 17 Jan 2017, 05:31 pm »
10A is huge.  With 110V AC, power = V x I = 1100W.