MQA

bh46118

Re: MQA
« Reply #40 on: 8 May 2016, 01:29 am »
Thanks fellows.

rustydoglim

« Reply #41 on: 12 May 2016, 04:07 am »
http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/what-is-mqa-meridian-s-digital-audio-format-explained
This is an excellent article that puts it in easy to understand terms for non engineering users.   The "Should You Care" section at the end of the article sums it up nicely. 
It just doesn't make sense that new hardware is required!

Specifically:
If your setup can handle those sorts of streams you should also not (in theory) need any new hardware, if you have something new enough to warrant an update by a manufacturer charitable enough to create one. MQA isn't a brand-new way of encoding audio data, it’s not a DSD-style ‘revelation’, but rather is a novel way of packing up music files we’re otherwise much more familiar with.

In theory, existing DACs and players should be able to deal with MQA following a software update. Of course, cynical companies may not provide that upgrade and instead use this as an excuse to release new hardware claiming to offer ‘next-generation’ Hi-Res Audio support. We'll try to stay optimistic.
This is the bit that might take a little time to get your head around. MQA isn't really a direct rival to something like the FLAC codec, because MQA streams can actually be delivered within the FLAC container. Or ALAC, the Apple lossless format, or WAV.

rustydoglim

« Reply #42 on: 13 May 2016, 09:22 am »
This one is even more direct: http://secure.campaigner.com/Campaigner/Public/t.show?awm7g--8ggp1-fdfhnu6

Whether we are considering buying high res music, paying for streaming service or adopting another music file format, these statements are to be considered:

High-resolution music requires that the original source recording be up to the definition of the format (your player or DAC can do the up sampling so don't buy another version of the same CD that have been up sampled!)

XXX music catalog will be available at master quality and the MQA process will make it easy to stream - Until Meridian is willing to let independent lab examine their technology (such as what Dr. Waldrep has requested, to convert one of his master studio quality record into MQA) and demonstrate that this is not just "a better way to stream master quality music" (i.e. another compression that is more efficient), there is no need for audiophiles to buy MQA music.  Well, if MQA is being streamed by Tidal or Sportify (I don't think streaming services will be bothered to do that), that will work just fine with any high-end DAC.

"The audiophile press has essentially rolled over when it comes to extolling the dramatic improvement in fidelity offered by the new MQA process. And I've stated in this blog, the demonstrations that I've heard (several different times) have been impressive. I wasn't blown away like writers at TAS and Stereophile. In fact, in my conversations with its inventor, the idea is not to improve the fidelity of the original tracks but instead to minimize degradation caused by converters and other intervening digital production steps. Does anyone really think that playing an original master tape is going sound worse than an MQA digitally processed copy? If MQA is "enhancing the fidelity" of the original source, then I want no part of it."

I think performance of DAC, WiFi network and devices have made MQA less relevant now. Perhaps it was useful when it was first conceived many years ago.

As hardware manufacturer, we are here to serve the customers. We serve you by questioning MQA (or any other new standard). If a new format becomes a highly desirable feature that must be implemented in hardware (like DSD which is still subjective it doesn't hurt to be implemented), we will just do it. 
« Last Edit: 13 May 2016, 08:38 pm by rustydoglim »

bh46118

« Reply #43 on: 13 May 2016, 11:37 am »
Thanks Jason

rbbert

« Reply #44 on: 13 May 2016, 01:51 pm »
I wish people would stop posting that MQA is "lossless"; it isn't and has never claimed to be (some people have apparently inferred that from the name).

rustydoglim

« Reply #45 on: 13 May 2016, 08:39 pm »
You are right, I have removed "lossless" from my post.

THROWBACK

« Reply #46 on: 14 May 2016, 01:13 pm »
So who needs MQA anyway?
Well, maybe I do.

I will be eighty in July and although I have asked God for a long extension of life in perfect health, I'm not sure I'm going to get one. OTOH, I have not heard a thunderous "NO" from somewhere high on the earth's Z axis, so maybe He's thinking about it.

But the actuarial tables suggest that my wife and I (if we're still around) will be moving into much smaller quarters in the next five years or so, with no room for my turntable and my 2,000-plus classical records. So if there's a truly high-res, on-demand source of great music that is fully contained within something the size of a Kleenex box, that would be very appealing. If . . ., if . . . ! So I'll be watching this development with considerable interest.

Of course, then there's the problem of what to do with my amazing 7'-high GR Research LS-9 speakers, two large GR Research subs, my 7' Steinway grand (sob!), etc. But that's a problem for another day.

bh46118

« Reply #47 on: 14 May 2016, 01:35 pm »
Since we apparently can't trust Robert Harley, Meridian, or the new MQA entity to tell us the exact truth about how the format works, why don't you tell us in more detail how it really works, or doesn't work.

I wish people would stop posting that MQA is "lossless"; it isn't and has never claimed to be (some people have apparently inferred that from the name).

bmoura

« Reply #48 on: 18 May 2016, 08:50 am »
Another review of MQA, this time from SoundStage at the recent High End Munich audio show:

"The uninspiring MQA demo we heard in the Brinkmann Audio room overshadowed the introduction of Brinkmann’s new DAC, which was far more interesting."
http://www.soundstageglobal.com/index.php/shows-events/high-end-2016-munich-germany/197-high-end-2016-photos/629-high-end-2016-product-coverage-gallery-4

THROWBACK

« Reply #49 on: 18 May 2016, 01:43 pm »
Interesting. At first glance, a test making direct comparisons between with-MQ and without-MQ would be easy and straightforward. What am I missing here?

OzarkTom

« Reply #50 on: 28 May 2016, 03:09 am »
Schitt Audio is asking other companies to boycott MQA.

http://schiit.com/news/news/why-we-wont-be-supporting-mqa

RDavidson

« Reply #51 on: 28 May 2016, 04:11 am »
The folks at Meridian are smart. They're rehashing the "lost opportunity" that was the MP3 download. Think of how much money Apple or Microsoft would've made if they owned the rights to the wretched MP3 format. Meridian knows that once they get a foothold in the industry, it'll be hard for them to get pushed out. Most people still listen to MP3's despite technological progress! Meridian just needs one or two major services to drink the Kool Aid and from there it's $$$ all day every day. I don't like it. I don't like the idea of an unnecessary new standard, let alone one owned and controlled by a single body.

OzarkTom

« Reply #52 on: 28 May 2016, 04:43 am »

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #53 on: 28 May 2016, 06:53 am »
Schitt Audio is asking other companies to boycott MQA.

http://schiit.com/news/news/why-we-wont-be-supporting-mqa

They have expressed their stance on MQA, but that's putting words in their mouth to say they're asking other companies to outright boycott it.

bacobits1

« Reply #54 on: 28 May 2016, 03:02 pm »
Ah well, the presumption of Schiit to recommend a boycott MQA is wrong.
The subject of MQA is contentious right now.
You do best to get opinions on the subject if you are to incorporate MQA in your products.
« Last Edit: 29 May 2016, 03:51 pm by bacobits1 »

rustydoglim

« Reply #55 on: 28 May 2016, 09:02 pm »
Hey, lets not make this topic into for or against MQA.  This is after all, NuPrime forum.  We always emphasise that we are an engineering company.  Convince us with the science, and if it benefits our customers, we will support it. Otherwise, we just watch the show on the sideline. 

yotzee

« Reply #56 on: 8 May 2020, 12:55 pm »
Would be possible to update the DAC-9 to be abel to decode MQA from Tidal?

witchdoctor

« Reply #57 on: 9 May 2020, 01:38 am »
Hey, lets not make this topic into for or against MQA.  This is after all, NuPrime forum.  We always emphasise that we are an engineering company.  Convince us with the science, and if it benefits our customers, we will support it. Otherwise, we just watch the show on the sideline.

I don't think I am going to convince an engineer of anything, engineers generally convince themselves. There are 3 types of engineers in the world, those that make it happen, those that watch it happen, and those that asked"what happened?". In the last few years as you have been watching Tidal has been dropping more and more MQA content. The choices in the MQA streamer/dac offerings range from $100 to about $7000. I think your engineering guys should take the back seat to your marketing guys and bean counters and make a BUSINESS decision, not an engineering decision. Personally I have a fantastic MQA friendly DAP that I can use as a portable or as a front end through a processor. It has analog out, balanced out and USB out. I am very interested in an MQA friendly DAC with a USB in as I'm sure others are. 

rustydoglim

« Reply #58 on: 13 May 2020, 10:06 pm »
We have Evolution DAC with MQA.  We don't make DAP, and yes, this is a business decision.
I should have made my earlier point clearer.

Nuprime has always been making decision base on business. BUT, I have to emphasize that we can only do well for things that are within our core competency, production capability and financial ability.
Core competency - we can compete with ANY amplifier company in the world, and go head to head with the best amp regardless of price. That's what we are good at. So our investment in R&D and production is in amplifier and power supply. Factory production line and supply chain is cater to these type of products.  DAC/Preamp is an extension of the product family. Unlike most of the high-end brands out there, we are vertically integrated.
DAP has very different supply chain and production where I would say nearly all are located in China with some in Korea.
So our position is to come up with Hi-mDAC as small and as power efficient as possible to turn your smartphone into a better DAP.

Jason

witchdoctor

« Reply #59 on: 14 May 2020, 04:57 am »
Thanks for the reply, and I would really be interested in checking out your DAC, I'll check your website. I am looking at a lot of choices and am curious to what kind of sound I'll get.  :thumb:
I am using an Onkyo XP-1 DAP which continues to surprise at how analog it sounds.