Reference 20 review

Eisener Bart

Re: Reference 20 review
« Reply #60 on: 4 Jul 2016, 03:49 pm »
Tedtag, many thanks for review!

I plan to buy a pair of Ref 20 in the end of year.

Tedtag

« Reply #61 on: 4 Jul 2016, 05:17 pm »
Congrats on your choice and I doubt you could do much better than the R20's. I may bring back my tube amps this winter just to help warm up the house!

Eisener Bart

« Reply #62 on: 4 Jul 2016, 05:22 pm »
Congrats on your choice and I doubt you could do much better than the R20's. I may bring back my tube amps this winter just to help warm up the house!

Can you make more photos with Ref-20?

gammajo

« Reply #63 on: 4 Jul 2016, 06:47 pm »
Tedtag - Thanks for posting your cogent review. I think you have hit it head on nail with great comparison equipment and a well known to you system. Now I don't feel so all alone in praising the heck out of the Ref 20's many months ago!
Joe

Tedtag

« Reply #64 on: 4 Jul 2016, 08:33 pm »
Thanks Sergil and Joe. Heres a picture of the R20's for Sergil. I like my amps up off the floor on plinths and in the picture the amps are on Mapleshade giant brass footers and then on 4" plinths with more brass footers. Crazy but it really opens up the sound. Plus with those tube amps I had to be careful not to burn down the house!

Eisener Bart

« Reply #65 on: 5 Jul 2016, 11:48 am »
Thanks Sergil and Joe. Heres a picture of the R20's for Sergil. I like my amps up off the floor on plinths and in the picture the amps are on Mapleshade giant brass footers and then on 4" plinths with more brass footers. Crazy but it really opens up the sound. Plus with those tube amps I had to be careful not to burn down the house!

Many thanks! My name is Sergii (not Sergil). No problem, no need to excuse.

Regarding footers: I use my own production with great results many years.

Eisener Bart

« Reply #66 on: 10 Jul 2016, 04:58 pm »
Other happy Owners of Ref 20!  :D

Can you share your photos? Please!  :thumb:

Thank you in advance.

Eric Gustafsson

« Reply #67 on: 10 Jul 2016, 06:42 pm »
Regarding footers: I use my own production with great results many years.

I'm Interested in your hifi feets. Do you have any for sell?

Eisener Bart

« Reply #68 on: 10 Jul 2016, 07:05 pm »
I'm interested in your hifi feets. Do you have any for sell?

I have only 3 sets:
1) for speakers spike (8 pcs) - 1 set
2) feets for unit (1 set - 3 pcs) - 2 sets.

It remained from ... I don't remeber from which year exactly. But we will need time to complete it,
it was not finished.

Let me write you PM for full undestanding. I can predict which changes in Sound you will get (not counting
question of good lookings).  :D

Speakers spikes.

gammajo

« Reply #69 on: 11 Jul 2016, 10:25 pm »
Sergii - per your request here is a picture of the Ref 20's in my system. They are set up on Herbie's Tenderfeet under both units and 40 lbs of lead shot on top for mass loading, plus Caprice Audio Mosaics on top which are supposed to transform EMF and RFI. I used to use Hyperion Magnetic footer under the units they sounded great but slide around. The center blanket covers a 6 in thick dog foam bed which helps with center image. Windows are treated with Marigo Magic dots which dissipate energy from the windows.

Eisener Bart

« Reply #70 on: 11 Jul 2016, 11:13 pm »
Sergii - per your request here is a picture of the Ref 20's in my system. They are set up on Herbie's Tenderfeet under both units and 40 lbs of lead shot on top for mass loading, plus Caprice Audio Mosaics on top which are supposed to transform EMF and RFI. I used to use Hyperion Magnetic footer under the units they sounded great but slide around. The center blanket covers a 6 in thick dog foam bed which helps with center image. Windows are treated with Marigo Magic dots which dissipate energy from the windows.

Thank you!

How is soundstage? I found with STA-9 that stage is shifted back on 2-3 feet. Thus if you keep something between-behind speakers it will influence on soundstage.

gammajo

« Reply #71 on: 12 Jul 2016, 01:58 am »
I think that the sound stage is quite good, considering location. The foam covers a TV for critical listening and makes images a little more defined. Also I can pull the speakers out to about 5 feet from the front wall. I get excellent far right, near right, center, near left, and far left images with a sense of depth in all these areas, if the recording allows. I would say that the front of the images mostly occur about a foot behind the speaker plane. I also have some up and down sense in terms of sound stage height. The room is 38 feet long and 22 wide so I have a lot of room to dissipate side reflections and rear reflections.

audioguy213

« Reply #72 on: 12 Jul 2016, 02:07 am »
amazing set up you have there, lovely room

can you explain this:

Windows are treated with Marigo Magic dots which dissipate energy from the windows.

How many dots and how do you use them? I am curious as I have a room that has tons of glass as well.

thanks so much.

gammajo

« Reply #73 on: 12 Jul 2016, 02:18 am »
The Marigo dots were developed by a physicist I think and work by changing vibration in the glass to heat. I used at least one on every window and two on the large windows. One on every large (12 feet by 6 feet) picture window I used four. They are about the size of a half dollar and about a 1/3 inch thick and come in either black or white. I used the black that totally disappear at night and are ignored during the day - my wife at first thought they stood out but within a week or so she stopped noticing them. Important to treat all windows.

I instantly noticed that everything sounded clearer even whispered foreign languages more understandable deep and soft in the backround of the mix. Treble lost glare and edge became sweeter and more natural. They are very reasonable in cost and Marigo was very wonderful to deal with.

Eisener Bart

« Reply #74 on: 12 Jul 2016, 08:31 am »
I think that the sound stage is quite good, considering location. The foam covers a TV for critical listening and makes images a little more defined. Also I can pull the speakers out to about 5 feet from the front wall. I get excellent far right, near right, center, near left, and far left images with a sense of depth in all these areas, if the recording allows. I would say that the front of the images mostly occur about a foot behind the speaker plane. I also have some up and down sense in terms of sound stage height. The room is 38 feet long and 22 wide so I have a lot of room to dissipate side reflections and rear reflections.

Nice room, I have much less squire (23 sq m).

Eisener Bart

« Reply #75 on: 12 Jul 2016, 07:15 pm »

Try to move ahead your speakers upon opportunity. I guess you will hear the difference in soundstage.

Is it Pre Amp of Ayon brand?

gammajo

« Reply #76 on: 12 Jul 2016, 09:23 pm »
Its an Ayon CD5s with NOS tubes which includes transport, DAC and preamp