STA-9

Samac

Re: STA-9
« Reply #280 on: 15 May 2017, 08:57 pm »
I planned to buy Ref 20, but some circumstances were against me this year.

For the moment I have great space for manoeuvring:
1) I may add 2 pcs of STA-9;
2) I may start to jump to Ref 20 (2 or even 4 pcs).

But for the moment I gonna wait.

Either set-up would be excellent, I'm sure. Look forward to seeing how you go.

Cheers,

Scott

John Casler

« Reply #281 on: 15 May 2017, 09:47 pm »
I might jump in here and mention, that I am currently using a Pair of STA-9 bridged to Mono, in evaluating the new EVOKE Ruby speakers and the combination is WOW!  :o :o

I might add that my "favorite" NuPRIME amp that I have had in my system is the "bridged" K-38, but if it sounds better in this current set up, I will be thrilled.

I also have to try the ST-10, and I have a pair of "still in the box" STA-6, which I plan to also review bridged to 190wpc.

But, my point in commenting, is the absolute incredible SONICS coming from these STA-9 pair with this particular speaker.

In the pecking order of NuPRIME amps, they "should" in most systems be above the STA-6, but slightly below the ST-10, and K-38.

Now this "pecking order" is based basically on price, because as most know, these amps all have slightly different components and stages that offer some sonic qualities that might be preferred.

It is hard to believe the quality of sound now available for these pricing levels.

Eisener Bart

« Reply #282 on: 16 May 2017, 09:28 am »

I also have to try the ST-10, and I have a pair of "still in the box" STA-6, which I plan to also review bridged to 190wpc.

I thought about STA-6, but there is no XLR inputs.

jmiguelbarone

« Reply #283 on: 17 Jun 2017, 09:06 am »
I read all the topic but the experiences goes from one stereo sta-9 to monoblock mode with 2 sta-9 ... but biamping configuration with 2 stereo sta-9 offers another option.

Yes, you need speakers with 2 pairs of terminals and a preamp with a+b outputs, but in modern times this usually happens.
Somebody test the difference between biamping and monoblock mode with 2 sta-9?

srb

« Reply #285 on: 17 Jun 2017, 04:16 pm »

I haven't tested it with the STA-9, but with most 2-way speakers having such a small relative percentage of total power used by the tweeter, testing passive bi-amping with several other amplifiers has always fallen short of the performance gained by having a single more powerful amplifier channel driving both speaker drivers.

Steve

John Casler

« Reply #286 on: 17 Jun 2017, 06:13 pm »

Although each system and set up is different, IN GENERAL, the "bridged" STA-9 should sound better than the "stereo" configuration.

This is not just because of power distribution, but because "bridging" the amp actually IMPROVES some of the performance qualities.

For example THD improves - (from 0.02% (Stereo) / 0.01% (Mono) - when bridged as do some of the other specs.

As well power output, (thus headroom) more than doubles from 120wpc to 290wpc.

So it is likely that your use would benefit from the bridged performance.

in1unison

« Reply #287 on: 17 Jun 2017, 07:27 pm »
Dealer from NZ has different take on STA-9 bridged vs. bi-amped although he does not specify if test was done on 2 or 3-way speakers. Neither is he clear if bi-amping is horizontal or vertical.

http://totallywired.co.nz/nuprime_sta_9.html

Eisener Bart

« Reply #288 on: 18 Jun 2017, 01:40 am »
I may say much more about STA-9 now (bi-amping and bridged modes).

Unfortunately I am already 2 weeks at sea with shity Internet. I will prepare post, even with photos, and upload later.

jmiguelbarone

« Reply #289 on: 18 Jun 2017, 01:55 am »
Thanks for the answers ... it seems that monoblock configuration wins on preferences :-)

Eisener Bart

« Reply #290 on: 18 Jun 2017, 01:59 am »
Thanks for the answers ... it seems that monoblock configuration wins on preferences :-)

not in all respects.

in1unison

« Reply #291 on: 18 Jun 2017, 07:38 am »
@Sergii

Thanks, looking forward to your test report.

jmiguelbarone

« Reply #292 on: 18 Jun 2017, 11:43 am »
not in all respects.

Yes, we wait your opinions in your test (hungrily  :lol:)