Nuprime/Nuforce vs Devialet

wgscott

Re: Nuprime/Nuforce vs Devialet
« Reply #20 on: 5 Aug 2015, 09:53 am »
If you still have Dirac's attenuation set to -7dB, you are asking a small amp to overcome the effects of quite substantial compression.  I have Dirac set to about -3.5dB, which avoids all audible clipping but gives no audible compression.  (Also, for evaluating the amps, it might be worth leaving Dirac out of the chain temporarily.  If you just turn off the filter but leave it in the chain, it will still compress the audio.)

rodney gold

« Reply #21 on: 6 Aug 2015, 06:18 am »
I tried it both ways..with and without..
I sold the IDA 8 on
I would have kept it as a backup , but the 6v output of the sub outs is an issue..
Make no mistake , its a brilliant unit for its price.

mv

« Reply #22 on: 6 Aug 2015, 11:35 pm »
I tried it both ways..with and without..
I sold the IDA 8 on
I would have kept it as a backup , but the 6v output of the sub outs is an issue..
Make no mistake , its a brilliant unit for its price.

The next step is to try teh DAC-10 + ST-10! :-)

rustydoglim

« Reply #23 on: 7 Aug 2015, 12:03 am »
IDA-8 sub output gain can simply be adjusted with a change of resistor by a service technician.

Genez

« Reply #24 on: 7 Aug 2015, 01:27 am »
IDA-8 sub output gain can simply be adjusted with a change of resistor by a service technician.

How would that be arranged? 

rustydoglim

« Reply #25 on: 7 Aug 2015, 01:39 am »
It depends on where you are located.  Contact your distributor or dealer. If you purchased it in the US, contact the sales email.

mrvco

« Reply #26 on: 19 Aug 2015, 10:55 pm »
Read my impressions here

http://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,46429.0.html

Can you cross-post here?  I can't access or register for that site.

Thanks!

rodney gold

« Reply #27 on: 20 Aug 2015, 07:23 am »
Try again , the site was down for maintenance for a while and has sporadic issues.. if it doesnt work , I will cross post

mrvco

« Reply #28 on: 20 Aug 2015, 08:43 pm »
Strange, It still tells me that I'm banned when I try to register.

rodney gold

« Reply #29 on: 21 Aug 2015, 06:02 am »
ok , here is the thread

Ok, got my unit today , unpacked it , checked voltage , but havent plugged it in , as I am at work.
Also suprised as to its  weight . It feels like a solid block of metal... probably the torroidal , 2 remotes , a credit card one and a wand type one

My review will not be detailed as to how the individual parts of the unit act - like I will not be testing its AD/DAC section in isolation  , bluetooth, usb etc..
It will go heads up with my 250 w Devialet D premier.. a slightly older model to their latest offerings .. the D prem cost me R85k used...

My path is SB touch into a miniDSP DDRC22 DIrac based room correction unit .. all in digital domain , to the IDA spdif in and then straight to the G1's .. sub output will via the sub  outs , but using a rotel pre to attenuate the stupidly hot 6v output.

Initially , I will compare the ida 8  to the dprem without the subs .. simple switchover,   all I do is take the spdif cable out the Devialet , stick it in the IDA 8 and then just connect up the speakers....

The G1's are about 92 db efficient , so the 100w should drive em..however..I listen LOUD and I really likemusic with plenty bass.. so it will be a balls to the wall torture test....
Watch this space.....

then

I am running my swarm of yammy subs with the volume barely cracked open..2v output .. with 6v I lose a ton of adjustability..so I will just stick a rotel pre on it to act as a volume control (the + point is that its remote controlled , so I can adjust all the subs at listening position)
The default should have been 1x and the "special orders" as the 2x or 3x...

Hooked up and playing..I didnt listen to my devialet first.
It sounds very promising. but Im only 6 tracks in ..prug and pray for me. I havent downloaded drivers or anything...

I have a slight problem in that my Dirac applies a -7db attenuation to the signal so Im having to run the IDA 8 at close to 99 loudness with very soft music to get adequate levels..this is my problem, not the ida 8's , but there is a solution, I just raise my target curve as a whole by about 4db

Im running it without subs.

I dont believe in burn in in electronics for more than 1/2 an hour...its more ear burn in.. so im not gonna wait to compare both...

At any rate, Im listening to Carol Welsman , Inclined.. a recording with it all , and excellent music..I know it well..and as I am typing, I am enjoying the sound very much..listening at 90 ... quite loudish...Im not listening critically .. I notice nothing major amiss..
I will comment some more after hooking my devialt back in

then
Well, lets get something ot the way right now , it's not a devialet slayer. At least not my D Permier with almost 2x the power..
The bass control of the devialet is quite a bit better as is extension, its overall a better amp and should be.
If I didnt have a Devialet,  I would be happy with the ida 8. I tried some serious bass at serious volumes, holst planet suite.. major organ and the ida coped admirably right down to the low 20's

Went alll over the map with music..and nothing to find fault with. no shouty mids, very natural sounding and not at all bright.. great dynamics.. detail but no etch
The ida conveys the tempo and rhythm of the music , making for a really enjoyable and musical experience listening to it.

Everyone should own one, swiss army knife in a box and great great  sound.
It does what is says it does on the tin and then some....i plugged it in and got music..

then
Achim :...so you really could push that little beast that far? You been "known as loud"  ;)  I never expect this little amp to be better than an adult Devialet but it reads good and nice to hear that it comes with that wow effect...and exceed almost all reviewers expectations. I must say I didnt expect such a good performance at such little money. I m very happy that our first "early Bird" made everyone happy - and no one regret to jump on board. And we saw a "Dead on Arrival" as well...not to forget - but we could fix it...

I wasnt so brave to connect "her"....to some big speakers. I was thinking  more in which combination might lay the reality of a potential IDA8 Buyer.
Therefore I decided for my new Tannoy Revolution 8F and an old rega Saturn (kind of icon here in Germany). This really simple set up SWINGS and  this might be the case with many many speakers which been in daily use here.

The IDA8 has a real potential to become a modern Icon and Joel and I will do our best to keep our idea(l) of moderate & fair pricing alive.
I think SA deserves a change that - different to most - we ll try to keep feet on the ground and prices as well..

Rodney thank you for sharing with us...

rodney:
Achim , its a little jewel.. my test .. which im still busy with,  was really pushing the unit to its limits and pitching it against ridiculous competition. Im going to take it to my pals with the Giya G3's place .. he has a devialet 120 which is actually the ida 8's direct competitor in specs etc. I have a pal with G2's and a 120..i will also take it there .

I think the unit , paired with a set of speakers at the same price can make a stunningly simple highish end system with fantastic WAF for less than 30k.. It certainly makes a more than acceptable backup for my Devialet .

What REALLY impressed me was the fact that it is musical.. the overall effect is more than the sum of its parts..with it in my system , I wasnt bothered by any shortcomings and just listened in an uncritical way.

mrvco

« Reply #30 on: 21 Aug 2015, 10:20 pm »
Thanks Rodney.

mv

« Reply #31 on: 23 Aug 2015, 02:34 am »
Rodney,

When you put you ear next to the speakers when you are driving them with the IDA-8,
do you hear noise?

How does that compare with the Devialet, which is supposed to be completely noise free?

rodney gold

« Reply #32 on: 23 Aug 2015, 06:42 pm »
I didnt test that aspect.There was no overtly noticeable increase in noise to my ears tho..