NuPrime $179 uDSD (trade-up from uDAC etc program available now)

rustydoglim

I am making a quiet announcement before uDSD (MSRP $179) press release goes out to the press around mid April.
For those of you with uDAC or any other DACs that originally retailed for $100 or more, you can get a trade-up credit of $50 toward the purchase of uDSD.  To pre-order uDSD or find out more about the trade-up program, visit http://www.sonicunity.com/collections/nuprime-audio/products/udsd.  Yes, even the first generation uDAC is eligible for this program.
Place your pre-order now before it is sold out  :thumb:
The headphone amp is quite powerful, so the uDSD runs a little warm.

Features:
  • - 24-bit/384kHz and native DSD 256 decoding
    - Discrete USB audio receiver and D/A converter, with coaxial S/PDIF output
    - Asynchronous transfer mode for doubled jitter-reduction at data input and over-sampling filter stages
    - High-performance headphone amplifier
    - High voltage 2V analog output
    - Coaxial S/PDIF output
    - High-quality analog volume control
    - Diminutive size
    - USB powered, no external power supply required
    - Works with Windows 7/8 and Mac OS.

Specifications:
  • Input:
    USB 1.1, 2.0, compatible
    Outputs:
    - Analog Stereo RCA Out.
    - Digital Coaxial Out.
    - Headphone Amplifier Out (3.5 mm-jack socket).

USB sampling rates: 44.1,48,88.2,96,176.4,192,352.8,384KHz and DSD 2.8,5.6,11.2MHz.
    Bit resolution: 16-24-bits.
    Output: Analog RCA 2V rms (DAC out).
    Headphone output: max 140mW x 2 @ 32 ohm.
    Dynamic range: 98dB.
    S/N ratio: 112 dB.
    THD+N < 0.01%.
    Power: USB-Bus powered, 150mA/5V.

Pricing and availability 

The NuPrime uDSD will be available worldwide at a suggested retail price of US$179, shipping in mid-April, 2015.
« Last Edit: 3 Apr 2015, 11:25 pm by rustydoglim »

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: NuPrime uDSD (trade-up from uDAC etc program available now)
« Reply #1 on: 2 Apr 2015, 05:08 pm »
So, how does it sound?  What what you compare it's sound to?  What audio system  (type, price) would you recommend pairing it with?

I have $3000 speakers and $3000 worth of pre/power amps, but use my iMac/MacBook so would it be suitable?

I'm considering $700 active speakers (for in-room or desktop use), again with my iMac/MacBook would it be suitable?

Just trying to get a feel, TIA.
« Last Edit: 3 Apr 2015, 01:18 am by JLM »

rustydoglim

« Reply #2 on: 3 Apr 2015, 11:25 pm »
For $700 active speaker, uDSD is definitely suitable.
For $3000 speakers, it is hard to say, since price alone is only a partial indicator of the sound quality. 
It also depends on your budget and upgrade plan.
DAC-10 (or 10H with headphone amp) if you want a high-end DAC that you can match with any speakers or headphones.
uDSD - you have nothing to lose here. The performance of this little $179 DAC is so good that if you are not satisfied with $3000 speakers, you will easily find plenty of use for this. It is effectively future proof.  If you have an old uDAC or other portable DAC lying around to get rid of, trade it in for uDSD and the price goes even lower.

There is a plan for DAC-8 (est. $699) in June, and that would be likely be the one matching your $3000 speakers.

JLM

« Reply #3 on: 4 Apr 2015, 01:44 am »
For $700 active speaker, uDSD is definitely suitable.
For $3000 speakers, it is hard to say, since price alone is only a partial indicator of the sound quality. 
It also depends on your budget and upgrade plan.
DAC-10 (or 10H with headphone amp) if you want a high-end DAC that you can match with any speakers or headphones.
uDSD - you have nothing to lose here. The performance of this little $179 DAC is so good that if you are not satisfied with $3000 speakers, you will easily find plenty of use for this. It is effectively future proof.  If you have an old uDAC or other portable DAC lying around to get rid of, trade it in for uDSD and the price goes even lower.

There is a plan for DAC-8 (est. $699) in June, and that would be likely be the one matching your $3000 speakers.

Thanks for the reply, but, you opened the door...

Any hints about the DAC-8 (size, formats, inputs, outputs, headphone outputs)?

rustydoglim

This is IDA-8 spec (shipping in May), DAC-8 to follow in June.  Just remove the power amp and it is DAC-8.

Inputs:

1 x USB PCM / DSD Digital (PCM UP TO 384K & DSD UP TO DSD256 )
1 x Coaxial Digital S/PDIF (PCM UP TO 192K)
1 x Optical Digital S/PDIF (PCM UP TO 192K)
1 x BTR / WiFi  INPUT
1 x Analog Stereo RCA

Outputs:

1 x Optical (up to 24 bit/192 kHz)
1 x Stereo RCA (Line out)
1 x Stereo Speaker (Binding Posts) Output

USB Sampling Rates: 44.1KHz, 48KHz, 88.2KHz, 96KHz, 176.4KHz, 192KHz, 352.8KHz, 384KHz,and DSD 2.8MHz, 5.6MHz, 11.2MHz
S/PDIF Sampling Rates: 44.1KHz, 48KHz, 88.2KHz, 96, 176.4KHz, 192KHz
Maximum Sampling Rate: 24-bits / 32-bits
Bit Resolution: 16-24-32 bits
Power output: 140W x 2 (4-Ohm)
THD+N: 0.004%
Peak Output Power: 280W
Frequency Response: 10Hz to 80kHz

JLM

Thanks so much Jason.  Sounds wonderful. 

Size of the DAC-8?  Any headphone outputs?

giordy60

I tried the small nuprime for 4 days, when I think of what it costs is excellent!
ideal for a second plant.

cliffy

Pricing and availability 

The NuPrime uDSD will be available worldwide at a suggested retail price of US$179, shipping in mid-April, 2015.

Jason,

Any update on shipping dates?  I pre-ordered one but have not received any updates.

Thanks,

Spencer

rustydoglim

Thanks, the items will be shipped to US warehouse today and we can ship to you probably next Tuesday.
By the way, uDSD can output DoP stream to the coaxial output (it has to be configured from foobar).  This feature could be useful for installer who has to route digital signal in long distance using coaxial cable.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
So this is a dac but it can also be used as a USB to SPDIF converter with jitter control to another dac?

If this is the case how good is it as a converter?

I have a M2tech Evo stack which has its own power supply and I'm wondering how this would compare?

Thank you,

Greg

rustydoglim

Extremely good.
It can even output DoP stream through coaxial output (this is good for transmitting DSD over long distance if you have a DAC far away from the computer

giordy60

I personally prefer to use a long cable usb-optical rather than a coax.
with usb optical cables will reach incredible lengths.

http://www.corning.com/opcomm/OpticalCablesbyCorning/products/USB-3.Optical.aspx#.VTu71kLD5E5

gregfisk

• Restricted
Extremely good.
It can even output DoP stream through coaxial output (this is good for transmitting DSD over long distance if you have a DAC far away from the computer

Thank you for your reply. So when using the optical and coax inputs how do you power the uDSD?

Can you or does it have to be connected to a computer?

Odal3

Looks intesting. Couple of questions: What's the Dac chip? Does it work with Linux? What about Raspberry Pi setups? Also curious if it can be powered with an external powersupply.

giordy60

Looks intesting. Couple of questions: What's the Dac chip?
Does it work with Linux? yes
What about Raspberry Pi setups? interfaces very well
Also curious if it can be powered with an external power supply. yes with a double USB connectivity

rustydoglim

The ESS 9018 something for the DAC chip.

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
How is the inter-channel balance throughout the volume range?
My uDAC drove me nuts and is gathering dust because of this...

cheers,

AJ

rustydoglim

The ESS 9018 something for the DAC chip.

uDSD uses ESS 9010K2M, cheaper but essentially the same as 9018.  It is how you use the chip that matters.

rustydoglim

How is the inter-channel balance throughout the volume range?
My uDAC drove me nuts and is gathering dust because of this...

cheers,

AJ

Channel imbalance is a none issue for uDSD. Now you can trade in your uDAC (www.sonicunity.com)

gregfisk

• Restricted
Thank you for your reply. So when using the optical and coax inputs how do you power the uDSD?

Can you or does it have to be connected to a computer?

Rusty, can you answer this question?

Thanks