6883B amps are up and running

Freo-1

6883B amps are up and running
« on: 3 May 2015, 08:52 pm »
It took awhile, but the 6883B power amps are up and running (and sounding quite good).  The power supplies have all individual taps and filtering from the power transformer, which helps with low level detail, along with a lower noise floor.  There is 600V on the plates of the 6883B tubes, which provides about 90 watts a mono block.  The front end uses 6BL7 input and phase splitter.  The output is pentode, with separate screen supplies to keep the tube in the proper operating ranges.  I really like the sound of pentode. Lots of clean power.

The presentation from these amps are remarkable.  The low level detail is outstanding, and the sound is very neutral.  Very pleased with the results.

JakeJ

Re: 6883B amps are up and running
« Reply #1 on: 3 May 2015, 10:14 pm »
Nice!  :thumb:  Did you build them yourself?  Looks to be some choke filtering as part of the PS?  Output transformers sourced from?  Any boutique parts used?  And last but not least, what is the basis for the circuit topology?

Here's a link to the tube specs for the inquisitive:
http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/frank/sheets/049/6/6883B.pdf

After looking t the tube data sheet I am curious what kind of power you are getting out of these, !00 Watts? More?

TIA for any info you wish to share.

Freo-1

« Reply #2 on: 3 May 2015, 11:50 pm »
My buddy built them.  His building skills are outstanding.  I have restored a number of tube amp/preamp over the years, but in this case, may as well have it built by a pro.  :green:

The transformers are custom built by Heyboer.  The output transformers are spec'ed at 120 watts. 

All the chokes are NOS.  There is additional chokes inside the chassis.  Each of the power supplies are choke filtered.  All the tubes have DC filaments.  The amp is VERY quiet, and the extra work on the power supply results in outstanding low level detail playback.  This is very important when listening to classical music. 

The exact circuit for the front end is proprietary, so I can't post it.  What  I can tell you is that its very close to the Mastero amp from the 50's.  I included the link for the circuit in this post. 

The resistors for the audio circuit are 1 watt PRP.  Used Jupiter bypass coupling caps, and German power and coupling caps.  Hexfrd diodes. NOS tube sockets (MIL) from the late 40's/early 50's.  Cardas copper binding posts, and vampire RCA jacks.

http://oestex.com/tubes/maestro.html

http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/frank/sheets/049/6/6146B.pdf

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #3 on: 4 May 2015, 12:34 am »
Very nice Freo-1. If you are allowed to show the underside that would be great too...

Best,
Anand.

JakeJ

« Reply #4 on: 4 May 2015, 12:52 am »
Thanks for sharing what you can.

Freo-1

« Reply #5 on: 4 May 2015, 01:21 am »
Very nice Freo-1. If you are allowed to show the underside that would be great too...

Best,
Anand.

I will try to get a picture of the underside next weekend or so.

Captainhemo

« Reply #6 on: 13 May 2015, 02:22 pm »
Very cool  Freo ,  your buddy and you have done  a couple (that we've seen)  of great  buiilds together  :thumb:

jay