OSIB16

Re: FRANKENSTRATOS ( LATEST UPGRADES)
« Reply #20 on: 1 May 2015, 06:28 pm »
Thanks. You're probably right :lol:

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #21 on: 3 May 2015, 09:11 am »
Yup...completely nuts.....

If that would have to be my look,  I'd have a hard time deciding whether to market the puppy to the NASCAR crowd or to the morgue people.....

OSIB16

« Reply #22 on: 3 May 2015, 12:27 pm »
I like the hot-rodded NASCAR look :thumb:

It matches the rest of my system

OSIB16

« Reply #23 on: 3 May 2015, 02:03 pm »

foz1982

• When I listen to PF the neigbors listen to PF
« Reply #24 on: 3 May 2015, 02:53 pm »
you might be a redneck if you had a amp that could melt your brain with AC/DC at the same time welding up your stock car frame.  :thumb:

firedog

« Reply #25 on: 3 May 2015, 05:20 pm »
I agree you are a little crazy, but the system looks great. Bet it sounds great, too.

OSIB16

« Reply #26 on: 3 May 2015, 06:11 pm »
To build a NO-COMPROMISE system you have to go down the crazy route :duh: :P

I've spent nearly 30 years of my life building up the system that you see in the photo above. Sound wise I believe I've now achieved the hi-fi that I can die with. The speakers completely melt away and you can hear a magnificent SOUNDSCAPE in front of and around you. Let's put it this way, I'm 38 years old now and I was religiously buying hi-fi magazines since I was the age of 11. I referred to them for guidance and inspiration on how to construct my system. Approximately 1 year ago I stopped buying them for good because I feel that I have finally achieved my goal of the perfect hifi system to suit my ears.

Early B.

« Reply #27 on: 4 May 2015, 12:48 am »
To build a NO-COMPROMISE system you have to go down the crazy route :duh: :P

I've spent nearly 30 years of my life building up the system that you see in the photo above. Sound wise I believe I've now achieved the hi-fi that I can die with. The speakers completely melt away and you can hear a magnificent SOUNDSCAPE in front of and around you. Let's put it this way, I'm 38 years old now and I was religiously buying hi-fi magazines since I was the age of 11. I referred to them for guidance and inspiration on how to construct my system. Approximately 1 year ago I stopped buying them for good because I feel that I have finally achieved my goal of the perfect hifi system to suit my ears.

Nah. You're just beginning. You haven't heard what your rig really sounds like yet because the small room is compromising your NO-COMPROMISE system.     

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #28 on: 4 May 2015, 12:52 am »
Nah. You're just beginning. You haven't heard what your rig really sounds like yet because the small room is compromising your NO-COMPROMISE system.   

This is the good point of the day, and oh so true..... But sometimes we have to make work with what we have. Since you are enjoying the system as is, I congratulate you on a job well done. Nice system btw..

OSIB16

« Reply #29 on: 4 May 2015, 09:33 am »

Actually the small room is not an issue because I'm using a TACT 2.2X PREAMP with ROOM CORRECTION

Early B.

« Reply #30 on: 4 May 2015, 11:57 am »

Actually the small room is not an issue because I'm using a TACT 2.2X PREAMP with ROOM CORRECTION

Your room is not allowing you to fully appreciate the awesomeness of the Frankenstratos. For instance, those speakers need to breathe, and it's not possible for room correction to fix that. If this room is your only option, then consider applying the same effort on maximizing the sound of the room than you did for the Frankenstratos.

OSIB16

« Reply #31 on: 4 May 2015, 03:30 pm »
Your room is not allowing you to fully appreciate the awesomeness of the Frankenstratos. For instance, those speakers need to breathe, and it's not possible for room correction to fix that. If this room is your only option, then consider applying the same effort on maximizing the sound of the room than you did for the Frankenstratos.

You may be partially right here.  Fortunately my Martin Logan CLS IIz speakers are very versatile  and designed to work particularly well in the size of room that I'm using them in. I have them positioned 35 INCHES away from the rear wall. Any more and I lose BASS. The manufacturer recommends approx 28 INCHES.

OSIB16

« Reply #32 on: 4 May 2015, 03:35 pm »
How would you recommend improving the room?

RDavidson

« Reply #33 on: 4 May 2015, 03:50 pm »
I'm with Early B.
We're not doubting how great it must sound. Very nice system, BTW.
Your listening space is the only thing that would hold that system back from reaching its FULL potential. In your current space, you might be at like 70% of its capabilities. Big speakers like big space, but room treatments can go a long way toward creating "virtual" breathing room.
Absorbtion panels would somewhat mimic the effect of a larger space (depending on how absorbtive the panels are). This is why sometimes reviewers take speaker measurements outside (where reflective surfaces other than the ground may be very far away) if an anechoic chamber isn't available for their use. The goal is to get as much direct sound as possible, and try to control indirect sounds.
In that room, you must listen near-field, so most of the sound you're getting is direct, but I'm sure there must be some rather early reflections elsewhere causing some smearing. The Tact will help, but you'll get better overall performance with room treatments. The less the Tact has to work to manipulate the original signal (to compensate for the room) the better sound you'll have ; Well......"truer" to the recording, anyway. :thumb:

*Scotty*

« Reply #34 on: 4 May 2015, 04:05 pm »
The next step would be to download the freeware REW room measuring software and purchase a calibrated microphone from Parts Express or Cross Spectrum Labs.
As they say, knowledge is power.
Scotty

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #35 on: 4 May 2015, 04:12 pm »
I agree that room treatments help, in any room, but in small rooms especially.  One change that would make a very large improvement for imaging would be to use an equipment rack that is short and wide, instead of tall and narrow.  Tall equipment racks between the speakers always, always, always mess up imaging.  One way to "trick" your room into seeming larger is to get that out of the way and put some absorptive panels behind the speakers instead. 

Ultimately a larger room is the best solution, but the above hack will get you a good amount of performance boost out of your current space. 

OSIB16

« Reply #36 on: 4 May 2015, 04:14 pm »
I'm with Early B.
We're not doubting how great it must sound. Very nice system, BTW.
Your listening space is the only thing that would hold that system back from reaching its FULL potential. In your current space, you might be at like 70% of its capabilities. Big speakers like big space, but room treatments can go a long way toward creating "virtual" breathing room.
Absorbtion panels would somewhat mimic the effect of a larger space (depending on how absorbtive the panels are). This is why sometimes reviewers take speaker measurements outside (where reflective surfaces other than the ground may be very
far away) if an anechoic chamber isn't available for their use. The goal is to get as much direct sound as possible, and try to control indirect sounds.
In that room, you must listen near-field, so most of the sound you're getting is direct, but I'm sure there must be some rather early reflections elsewhere causing some smearing. The Tact will help, but you'll get better overall performance with room treatments. The less the Tact has to work to manipulate the original signal (to compensate for the room) the better sound you'll have ; Well......"truer" to the recording, anyway. :thumb:

I'm a bit confused here. I know that the best thing for the CLS IIz speakers is to have NO side walls at all. However there are curtains on the wall directly behind the speakers to absorb reflections. Plus there are DVD's mounted on the back wall as well as a PROJECTOR SCREEN which further absorbs reflections. Please tell me what I am missing?

RDavidson

« Reply #37 on: 4 May 2015, 04:36 pm »
Your setup is like "fat guy in a little coat." :lol:

He needs a bigger coat (bigger room), no coat (outside or anechoic chamber), or the most logical in this situation a spandex coat (room treatments). A spandex coat is still small, but conforms to the body. :thumb:

Right now, I'd say you likely don't have enough room treatments ; a little coat with spandex sleeves. Think of your room as part of your system, not as an independent entity. Per Scotty, get a room analyzer and move forward from there.

OSIB16

« Reply #38 on: 4 May 2015, 04:52 pm »
Without the wall treatments I am hearing pinpoint images - voices directly in the 'centre' just above the equipment rack. The soundstage is CAVERNOUS with the right music and movies. Soundstage appears to be 'actually' as wide as the ALBERT HALL.

At the moment I'm watching/playing JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH movie and the system places you right there in the movie (VIRTUAL SOUND REALITY). Holographic sounds float in the air, right in front of my head. This FAT GUY in a little coat delivers in spades even without room treatments.

Thanks for the advice, I'm gonna try the REAR WALL TREATMENTS. It will be interesting to hear any improvements.

*Scotty*

« Reply #39 on: 4 May 2015, 05:53 pm »
Without measurements you are just throwing money at the walls and hoping for a positive change. Knowledge about what the room is doing acoustically as far as room modes and the full spectrum settling time the room has, RT60 time, are vital pieces of information. Without this you can spend money on room treatments that will actually hurt the existing sound you already have.
 This is a whole area of our hobby dealing with how the room interacts with your speaker system and influences the end sonic result you hear, that you currently lack a working knowledge of.
 Becoming familiar with the REW program, or a like program, and taking room measurements will give you vital information necessary for making an informed purchase of acoustical treatments.
Scotty