Jolida JD100A Tube CD Player - alternatives

mreeter

Re: Jolida JD100A Tube CD Player - alternatives
« Reply #20 on: 24 Oct 2016, 09:14 pm »
I hate you mreeter!! I miss my Jolida!! I was just convincing myself to go to FLAC/DAC!! xD.  :thumb: Romantic is the sound I'm looking for, once again.

Way too many DAC choices out there.

I've thought about moving on to something else for quite a while, but I just don't own that many CD's that would justify spending big bucks for another player.

I used to have an Eastern Electric Mini Max DAC (the original), by rolling in some different op-amps and a choice Mullard 12AU7 it had that Romantic sound also...very close to the sweetness of the JD-100.
« Last Edit: 24 Oct 2016, 10:53 pm by mreeter »

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!
« Reply #21 on: 24 Oct 2016, 10:26 pm »
I hate you mreeter!! I miss my Jolida!! I was just convincing myself to go to FLAC/DAC!! xD.  :thumb: Romantic is the sound I'm looking for, once again.

Everything is for sale at the right price  :)  Throw an offer to mreeter...you never know.

I am old CDP guy myself.  I have a BADA HD-22SE that I use the tube buffer out on it and it sounds excellent once I rolled out the old Chinese 6N3 for a Jan GE 5670W.  Made a hell of a difference.

mreeter

« Reply #22 on: 24 Oct 2016, 10:58 pm »
Everything is for sale at the right price  :)  Throw an offer to mreeter...you never know.

I am old CDP guy myself.  I have a BADA HD-22SE that I use the tube buffer out on it and it sounds excellent once I rolled out the old Chinese 6N3 for a Jan GE 5670W.  Made a hell of a difference.

Mine is the rare Black Face Plate, I doubt he'd be interested

elmalloc

« Reply #23 on: 25 Oct 2016, 12:13 pm »
I will take all of the gear in that picture, for approximately $499. Please throw in the Acoustic Treatments. Thank you!

If it was the silver faceplate, I would take it all for $4999.

elmalloc

« Reply #24 on: 28 Oct 2016, 03:59 pm »
OK, I just bought a Musical Paradise D1 DAC and USB Power isolator.

Not sure when it will come.

Next, what tube amp and speakers to pair it with?

I'm PM'ing someone on this forum with a Jolida JD100A CDP. The questoin is, do I need a CDP if I have FLAC/DAC capability?

I want that vinyl sound, I'm wondering if I should pick up an entry level record player to go through the tube amp or wait to see how the DAC + FLAC + tube amp performs?

Thanks,
ELmO

mick wolfe

« Reply #25 on: 28 Oct 2016, 06:22 pm »
What's your budget ? Do you currently have a vinyl collection ? You've asked a lot of questions all in vastly different arenas. Maybe start with getting your digital playback in order first..... then move on to speakers candidates that work best with tube seperates or a tube integrated. Vinyl playback is a whole new hobby by itself. I would get everything else squared away first before going into that little puzzle.

elmalloc

« Reply #26 on: 30 Oct 2016, 12:57 am »
Hello,

I have no vinyl right now. Although I love the Jolida, I'll probably have to skip it since I don't have a huge CD collection and FLAC/DAC is at least as good.  :scratch:  I know I'll kick myself because I love the JD100 but I think the CD is kaput.

Seems like it's more like playing a real NES nowadays instead of emulating it.

I'll have to make a separate thread on tube amps and speakers. I'm thinking 2K for the tube amp and 3K for the speakers.

Mathew_M

« Reply #27 on: 30 Oct 2016, 02:50 am »
I owned this CDP years ago.  It didn't sound like vinyl to me.  Definitely smooth.  Probably too smooth.  But it was still a CD that I was listening to.  I miss it's handsome looks and nice build quality.  I've long since sold off my expensive audio components in favor of an economical desktop setup.  But I occasionally miss the ol' audiophile days.  I have considered adding something like this to my current setup:   https://www.amazon.com/YAQIN-Stereo-Upgrade-Buffer-Processor/dp/B00DYHU0G0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477795616&sr=8-1&keywords=tube+buffer

I would think that something like the above could get you 90% of the same sound that you remember from the Jolida. 

djbnh

« Reply #28 on: 2 Nov 2016, 01:34 am »
I still have my JD-100A in the mix, still sounding VERY romantic after all these years. The trick to the JD-100 was to pitch the cheap, stock Chinese tubes roll in some vintage tubes.

I always thought the 12AX7's had too much gain for the player, I rolled in a NOS pair of 5751's, and that was a match made in Heaven!

I made the same move when I got my JD100 years ago, Sylvania NOS 5751s did the trick as well as a nice PC. Would like more detailed sound at times but I'm not be willing to give up toetapping or lots of $$$, so still happily using the Joluda as its still about the music after all.

Shogun

« Reply #29 on: 3 Nov 2016, 02:07 am »
The man behind the original Jolida JD100A and other Jolida amplifiers, Mr. Liu, is now running is own company:http://www.doge.audio/.

The Doge 6 CD player is the real sucessor of the Jolida JD100A. If you prefer a DAC, they will offer the Doge 7 tube DAC soon.

lazydays

« Reply #30 on: 20 Jan 2017, 03:56 am »
Good to hear there's another Jolida JD100A fan. That CDP was amazing. Yeah, now I'm thinking I just need to go the DAC/FLAC route. I had a P1A/P3A that seemed to produce similar results as the JD100A, enough so that it led me to sell the JD100A a long time ago.

I just want the tube/vinyl sound back. That DAC looks interesting because it's tube output. Looks like there's a musicalparadise D2 out!

many years ago I bought a JD100a, just for red book play. Still have and still use it to this very day. A little later I bought a Marantz 8260 and one of their tuners. The tuner never did come on, and they  refused to fix it. A couple years later the 8260 started giving me problems. A year later it was dead in the water. Sent it back for repair, and really don't think they did anything but clean the laser head. Six months later it was dead. Called them in Chicago, and got the basic blow off. Now it's sitting in the corner waiting to be put in the trash can. I will never buy anything with the Marantz name on it again! NEVER again! The Jolida and the Marantz were close in red book play, but bought it for SACD. One thing I discovered was that the Jolida did well with 20 and 24 bit recordings, while most of the others I've tried were just so so.

Can't wait to read that Marantz has gone under
gary

jvinhj240

« Reply #31 on: 6 Jan 2018, 02:39 pm »
do you still it? possible check any solder joint.  if you planned to trash, please send to me i pay for shipping?