Recommend An Amp For $1k or Less

roymail

• Roy in TX
Re: Recommend An Amp For $1k or Less
« Reply #40 on: 1 Oct 2014, 05:03 pm »
The speakers it will be used for will be around 95 dB efficient but will be able to handle a couple hundred watts, and I want an amp that can push them pretty hard to test them out.

I'm curious what you want to accomplish by "pushing them pretty hard to test them out."  That's a lot of power to use with 95db sensitive speakers, but that's up to you.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #41 on: 1 Oct 2014, 05:30 pm »
Even though the speaker will be efficient, it will also be able to handle a lot of power and it needs to be tested at a wide range of SPLs. I have earplugs...  :icon_twisted:

werd

« Reply #42 on: 1 Oct 2014, 05:45 pm »
You can probably get this for under a grand usd. And I can go pick it up for you and send it.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-electronics/saskatoon/perreaux-250-250p-model-amp/1015490224?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Phil A

« Reply #43 on: 1 Oct 2014, 06:05 pm »
I'm going to second the Odyssey recommendation, you can get this if your deal falls through.
http://odysseyaudio.com/products-khartago-stereo.html

They do come up used, so if you can wait you can get one for less. If you speak to Klaus, I'm sure he can help you find a used one.

His amps have lots of current and have no problem playing even with 2 Ohm speakers. I'd be very suprised if the Khartago wasn't more than enough power for you.

I have one of his Kismet (stereo) amps and am very happy with it.

I'll third the Odyssey recommendation.  I'd avoid the Proceed amps mentioned earlier like the plague.  Don't get me wrong, I owned them and liked them.  Last I read a couple of years back on Audio Asylum, they (Madrigal/Lexicon) no longer repair them and recommend a few audio repair places to people.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #44 on: 1 Oct 2014, 07:20 pm »
I have an Odyssey Stratos Plus or Extreme on the way in trade for cables with a fellow AC'er... I will have to wait and see which one I'm getting, although by the specs my bathroom scale should be able to differentiate...  :green:

It's newer than some other choices which is nice... it won't need to be refurbished and I can get help with it anytime I need.

Thanks for all the recommendations, it's much appreciated.  :thumb:

electricbear

« Reply #45 on: 1 Oct 2014, 09:56 pm »
I would also recommend avoiding the Proceed. Repairs will be $$$$$ if ever needed. They also fail to reproduce the whole audio spectrum. The one that I owned did not reproduce the sound of a guitar string being accidentally touched on a certain recording. every other amp that I've owned would reproduce the sound. For that reason alone I sold mine very soon after getting it. .

firedog

« Reply #46 on: 2 Oct 2014, 08:28 am »
Well, let us know what you get and how you like it.

I have an Odyssey Stratos Plus or Extreme on the way in trade for cables with a fellow AC'er... I will have to wait and see which one I'm getting, although by the specs my bathroom scale should be able to differentiate...  :green:

It's newer than some other choices which is nice... it won't need to be refurbished and I can get help with it anytime I need.

Thanks for all the recommendations, it's much appreciated.  :thumb: