microRendu power connector takes things up to 11

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
    • The Clueless Audiophile
Re: microRendu power connector takes things up to 11
« Reply #20 on: 27 May 2016, 06:12 pm »
Hi Matthew,

This is exactly how I am running it (and I also did so at AXPONA and will next week at Newport Beach show):

macbook / Roon software (wireless) -->> airport express (ethernet cable out) -->> microrendu (usb jumper cable out) -->> LIO USB input on dac.  [And microRendu is powered by a super-regulated output feed from LIO's ultracap banks]

The microRendu / Roon software is clearly better sounding than even using the USB out of the Macbook running Audirvana Plus.  I posted about this here in the VR forum, and on the microRendu forum on computeraudiophile.com.

This of microRendu as a dedicated piece of hardware that was designed only to create the cleanest USB stream to your dac.  You will not be limited to 96kHz resolution via the airport express's optical output.  Now you can play DSD, double DSD, and up to 32-bit / 384kHz that LIO's dac can handle via the USB input. 

So while it is adding one more small component (microRendu), it is a higher bandwidth feed to LIO's dac and a much cleaner digital signal.  And Roon playback software is top notch!

Expect a big improvement!

Vinnie

Got it, thanks so much for helping me to understand!

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
« Reply #21 on: 7 Jun 2016, 05:01 am »
Hi Matthew,

This is exactly how I am running it (and I also did so at AXPONA and will next week at Newport Beach show):

macbook / Roon software (wireless) -->> airport express (ethernet cable out) -->> microrendu (usb jumper cable out) -->> LIO USB input on dac.  [And microRendu is powered by a super-regulated output feed from LIO's ultracap banks]

The microRendu / Roon software is clearly better sounding than even using the USB out of the Macbook running Audirvana Plus.  I posted about this here in the VR forum, and on the microRendu forum on computeraudiophile.com.

This of microRendu as a dedicated piece of hardware that was designed only to create the cleanest USB stream to your dac.  You will not be limited to 96kHz resolution via the airport express's optical output.  Now you can play DSD, double DSD, and up to 32-bit / 384kHz that LIO's dac can handle via the USB input. 

So while it is adding one more small component (microRendu), it is a higher bandwidth feed to LIO's dac and a much cleaner digital signal.  And Roon playback software is top notch!

Expect a big improvement!

Vinnie

Ok, I think I'm finally understanding it.  Thanks for the explanation.  When I send you the tube stage and rvc for the DHT pre then I'll send you the DAC as well so we can get the updates done all at once.  :)

Thx again,
Matthew

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #22 on: 7 Jun 2016, 10:32 am »
Ok, I think I'm finally understanding it.  Thanks for the explanation.  When I send you the tube stage and rvc for the DHT pre then I'll send you the DAC as well so we can get the updates done all at once.  :)

Thx again,
Matthew

You will be in for quite a treat when you get both modules.

George

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
« Reply #23 on: 8 Jun 2016, 04:47 pm »
You will be in for quite a treat when you get both modules.

George

I hope so! 

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
« Reply #25 on: 11 Jun 2016, 03:16 am »

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
« Reply #26 on: 11 Jun 2016, 01:28 pm »
MicroRendu in the house.  Arrived yesterday.  No power supply yet; waiting for the DHT so I can cannibalize the LIO all at once.  I'll update my personal LIO thread when all the components are ready.  Until then, I'm doing a lot of listening with my new Dragonfly.

Here's a noob question: does "NAS" infer that the hard drive -has- to be attached to the router via ethernet, or will the microrendu allow one to go directly from NAS device --ethernet--microrendu?  I am running a 2TB Time Capsule right now.

P.S. Does anyone know what the highest resolution file that iTunes will load into the cloud now?  It used to block some of my really big files, but that apparently resolved itself within the past few months...
« Last Edit: 11 Jun 2016, 04:36 pm by matthewpartrick »

Vinnie R.

« Reply #27 on: 15 Jun 2016, 04:07 am »
Microrendu review on Computer Audiophile, part 2:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/705-sonore-microrendu-review-part-2/

Hi matthewpartrick,

Thanks for the link!

Here's a noob question: does "NAS" infer that the hard drive -has- to be attached to the router via ethernet, or will the microrendu allow one to go directly from NAS device --ethernet--microrendu?  I am running a 2TB Time Capsule right now.

I think I recall seeing a similar question on the Sonore forum on computeraudiophile, and that you should still be connecting
to a router.  But double check with Jesus / Sonore, as there might be a way to get around it.

P.S. Does anyone know what the highest resolution file that iTunes will load into the cloud now?  It used to block some of my really big files, but that apparently resolved itself within the past few months...

Not sure - but I remember iTunes being able to see a 24/192 file as such (but it will not playback at 24/192 when using iTunes, as you probably know).  Check out Roon, and you can have it point to your iTunes folder (and many other music folders) and you'll get
higher quality, lossless playback with your microRendu.  It is well worth it, IMO!

Vinnie

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
« Reply #28 on: 18 Jun 2016, 06:23 pm »
Yes, I'm going to go with Roon.  I'm fiddling around with it now, trying to get it to see the music folder.  I was using Audirvana+ for a while which I wasn't that crazy about.  Hopefully Roon will work out better.  So far it's a little frustrating to be honest, but I guess that's because I'm so used to the iTunes interface.

trcks

« Reply #29 on: 21 Jun 2016, 04:20 am »
Hi Vinnie,
SOtm, which seems to be associated somehow with Sonore, is introducing the sMS-200 which appears to be similar to the microRendu except that it also allows playback from usb hard drive (in addition to ethernet).
http://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/portfolio-item/sms-200/
Any chance that it can be powered from the LIO?
It needs 6.5V-14V / 15W max.
Thanks

firedog

« Reply #30 on: 22 Jun 2016, 07:09 am »
Hi Vinnie,
SOtm, which seems to be associated somehow with Sonore, is introducing the sMS-200 which appears to be similar to the microRendu except that it also allows playback from usb hard drive (in addition to ethernet).
Thanks

Sonore is a distributor in the US for SOtM. The mR (Sonore) and SMS-200 are definitely competing products.
FYI, Sonore told us elsewhere that they purposely didn't add playback from USB drive to the mRendu, as that increases the noise produced by the device. Everyone has their own ideas about which features they want on devices.
I'm not saying that to say one product is better than the other. When the SMS-200 gets into enough  hands, I'm sure a few will be able to directly compare it to the mRendu.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #31 on: 22 Jun 2016, 03:19 pm »
Hi Vinnie,
Thanks

Hi trcks,

I don't have plans to offer power output jacks from LIO to other devices at this time.  So for now, its only microRendu.

Vinnie

kdbrink

« Reply #32 on: 7 Jul 2016, 12:50 am »
Is the USB input of the LIO galvanically isolated, or if not, does the microRendu isolate it from the computer system?

Vinnie R.

« Reply #33 on: 7 Jul 2016, 02:54 am »
Is the USB input of the LIO galvanically isolated, or if not, does the microRendu isolate it from the computer system?

Hi kdbrink,

Yes, the USB input of LIO (as well as coax input) is galvanically isolated. 

Vinnie

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
« Reply #34 on: 7 Jul 2016, 03:13 am »
Yes, I'm going to go with Roon.  I'm fiddling around with it now, trying to get it to see the music folder.  I was using Audirvana+ for a while which I wasn't that crazy about.  Hopefully Roon will work out better.  So far it's a little frustrating to be honest, but I guess that's because I'm so used to the iTunes interface.

This is still an issue for me.  Trying to teach an ER doc how to write signal paths to files on remote drives is like herding cats hopped up on catnip laced with LSD.  When I go to assign a pathway through Roon I can't even see the forward/backslash to see if I'm typing incorrectly, for one thing.  In addition, since I'm running a MacBook Air and using a partitioned Time Capsule as my hard drive, I think that Roon finds that confusing.  But it shouldn't since it's essentially network-attached storage.  I have attempted to get the roonlabs.com community forum to help with this but they think I'm a troglodyte.  Can anyone help me direct my signal path with Roon?  I'd appreciate a PM from a sympathetic pseudo-geek who can magically eliminate my problems, especially before my 60 day trial runs out.

THx in advance.

Partrick

LARRY KYOTO

« Reply #35 on: 7 Jul 2016, 12:18 pm »
Patrick... a 60day Roon trial...I only am getting 2 weeks!! How did you swing that?

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
« Reply #36 on: 7 Jul 2016, 06:43 pm »
Patrick... a 60day Roon trial...I only am getting 2 weeks!! How did you swing that?

I have no idea...just what was on the website.  Perhaps I was hallucinating, but I doubt I would make such a large miscalculation secondary to too much rum. :)

WG

« Reply #37 on: 11 Jul 2016, 07:34 pm »
I recommend vetting that your server is discoverable by microRendu before purchasing microRendu to know if other purchases may be needed.  I have a SOtM SMS-1000 server running Logitech Media Server 7.8.0 with VortexBox SW Version 2.3.  After struggling over the weekend trying to get microRendu to detect the server, I emailed Jesus at Sonore my issues.  He promptly answered this morning that my SMS-1000 is not discoverable by the microRendu.  He suggested the sonicTransporter range of product at Small Green Computer would be discoverable.  I had incorrectly made the assumption that LMS running on the SMS-1000 and my network would be accessible by the microRendu. 

Will

tulysses

« Reply #38 on: 12 Jul 2016, 04:01 am »
I recommend vetting that your server is discoverable by microRendu before purchasing microRendu to know if other purchases may be needed.  I have a SOtM SMS-1000 server running Logitech Media Server 7.8.0 with VortexBox SW Version 2.3.  After struggling over the weekend trying to get microRendu to detect the server, I emailed Jesus at Sonore my issues.  He promptly answered this morning that my SMS-1000 is not discoverable by the microRendu.  He suggested the sonicTransporter range of product at Small Green Computer would be discoverable.  I had incorrectly made the assumption that LMS running on the SMS-1000 and my network would be accessible by the microRendu. 

Will

If you select squeezelite on the microrendu, then there is a chance it will then see your lms device. That worked for me on a vortexbox appliance running lms.

WG

« Reply #39 on: 12 Jul 2016, 05:11 am »
If you select squeezelite on the microrendu, then there is a chance it will then see your lms device. That worked for me on a vortexbox appliance running lms.

I appreciate the suggestion; however, though I tried multiple times, including rebooting from microRendu web interface, it did not work.  Squeezelite also would not stay Active if I switched menu tabs on its web menu.  When I would come back it would show stopped.  I also tried adding the microRendu to Configure Player in the VortexBox web menu.  I detailed all my steps and had taken screen shots of them and enclosed on my email to Jesus.  I have sent all this to Andrew Gillis for his recommendations for a fix and/or his equipment suggestions.