GIK Acoustics DIY frames are here!

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
GIK Acoustics DIY frames are here!
« on: 28 Apr 2016, 05:47 pm »
For those who prefer the Do-It-Yourself route or those who wish to cover a large surface but lack the necessary building tools, space, or prowess for cutting lumber; we have the solution.

Professional DIY Frames for bass traps and acoustic panels

Each frame is precisely machine-made at GIK’s factory in Atlanta using quality MDF. We incorporate a unique vented design that provides better sound absorption by allowing more sound energy to pass through the frame and into the absorptive material. Frame corners have pre-drilled countersunk pilot holes and come with the appropriate lumber screw. We also include pre-cut pieces for corners to support the absorptive material and hold it in place. Our DIY frames are a cost effective solution that can be assembled in minutes!

For more information
Do It Yourself Frames

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uP6bkk1MX04

kenreau

Re: GIK Acoustics DIY frames are here!
« Reply #1 on: 28 Apr 2016, 09:13 pm »
excellent idea and product!

Kenreau

gbeard

• Contributing writer--Positive Feedback
« Reply #2 on: 29 Apr 2016, 11:53 am »
Agreed, great idea.

Curious Glenn, are you planning a similar product for corner bass traps?

(Btw, haven't forgotten our correspondence, just been too busy!)

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 29 Apr 2016, 12:40 pm »
Agreed, great idea.

Curious Glenn, are you planning a similar product for corner bass traps?

(Btw, haven't forgotten our correspondence, just been too busy!)

I don't really have any plans right now, but who knows. A friend was kidding with me yesterday that this is how IKEA started.  I said "YEs but don't know how to make meatballs!" ha ha :P :wink:

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #4 on: 29 Apr 2016, 06:22 pm »
I don't really have any plans right now, but who knows. A friend was kidding with me yesterday that this is how IKEA started.  I said "YEs but don't know how to make meatballs!" ha ha :P :wink:

Ha Ha! Glenn, you and your friend are very funny :lol:

Great idea by the way.

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 30 Apr 2016, 11:26 pm »
Those look great Glenn!

gbeard

• Contributing writer--Positive Feedback
« Reply #6 on: 1 May 2016, 11:47 am »

I'm not Swedish, but for corner bass trap frames, I could learn to make meatballs in gravy.

BEM10001

« Reply #7 on: 2 May 2016, 06:33 pm »
Just curious, any plans to offer with the inside dimensions being 24x48? If I am reading this correctly that is the outside dimension. When I built my own frames I did 24x48 inside so there would not be any cut or wasted insulation - the sheets came that size.

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 5 May 2016, 12:41 pm »
Just curious, any plans to offer with the inside dimensions being 24x48? If I am reading this correctly that is the outside dimension. When I built my own frames I did 24x48 inside so there would not be any cut or wasted insulation - the sheets came that size.

I really wanted to do it with the inside dimensions at 24x48, but it would waste so much wood that it would drastically increase the price. I felt  trimming down the size made a lot sense vs charging WAY more for the product. It almost comes out to twice as much for material for that extra 3/4".  :duh:

BEM10001

« Reply #9 on: 5 May 2016, 03:31 pm »
I really wanted to do it with the inside dimensions at 24x48, but it would waste so much wood that it would drastically increase the price. I felt  trimming down the size made a lot sense vs charging WAY more for the product. It almost comes out to twice as much for material for that extra 3/4".  :duh:

Makes sense, low volume production vs high volume production doesn't always translate well. In my case when I built the frames I spent an extra $10 at Home Depot, which by itself isn't a big deal but if you aggregate that over many frames it adds up.

Assuming you guys cut the insulation on a regular basis for everything you build in-house, if I were to order a DIY frame for next time I'd happily pay a nominal fee ($5-10) when ordering the OC to have it pre-cut to fit in this frame. Doing that part at home is messy, itchy, and just generally annoying. If you have the capability to do that in house for the customer I would have to think it would be a pretty high margin service for you.

Only other thing I would add is it would be great to have a tutorial on your site. Not looking for any of the "secret sauce" behind your special products, but for something like a DIY panel with your premade frame, it's basically shove insulation in frame and wrap with fabric. The wrap with fabric is where I spent a LONG time online searching forums figuring out the best way to wrap around corners, cover back, etc. I think a quick primer on that would be very useful for newbies.

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 5 May 2016, 08:05 pm »
Only other thing I would add is it would be great to have a tutorial on your site. Not looking for any of the "secret sauce" behind your special products, but for something like a DIY panel with your premade frame, it's basically shove insulation in frame and wrap with fabric. The wrap with fabric is where I spent a LONG time online searching forums figuring out the best way to wrap around corners, cover back, etc. I think a quick primer on that would be very useful for newbies.

We may do something in the future but the point of DIY is coming up with your own way of doing things. We just wanted to have a premade frame to maximize side absorbing, make the predrilled holes and take the cutting of the wood out of the equation.  If someone is looking for a professional panel/bass trap, with your expert advice then they should look to buy our branded products.