VMPS Photo Gallery

John Casler

VMPS Photo Gallery
« on: 5 Jun 2007, 04:58 pm »
Hi All,

Not that I have any free time, but I did a quick browse of some of the galleries and found some great photo's you might appreciate. 

What a bunch of great customers, Brian has had the good fortune to have.

A couple are also of "SHOW" rooms we have had.

I have many more to add, but not the time just yet.

If you have photos you think might go here, let me know.

This is a "work in progress".

« Last Edit: 12 Nov 2010, 08:26 pm by John Casler »

loki1957

Re: VMPS Photo Gallery
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jun 2007, 05:24 pm »
some very nice set ups

Wardsweb

« Reply #2 on: 5 Jun 2007, 06:10 pm »
I noticed several systems are using the Ampzilla2000 amps from SST. I take it there is some synergy here? I know they showed together at CES.

John Casler

« Reply #3 on: 5 Jun 2007, 06:34 pm »
I noticed several systems are using the Ampzilla2000 amps from SST. I take it there is some synergy here? I know they showed together at CES.

That is certainly true.

Brian and James go "way back"

B, uses the AMPzillas as Reference AMPs much of the time, and James was a major contributor to the design of the RM/x model.

tbrooke

« Reply #4 on: 6 Jun 2007, 01:30 am »
John

They Gallery is great but I think we need a few shots with Brian in them. He may not work out as much as you but he is the head Honch.

Tom

John Casler

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jun 2007, 01:41 am »
John

They Gallery is great but I think we need a few shots with Brian in them. He may not work out as much as you but he is the head Honch.

Tom

OK, how about this one.

Here are Mark and Brian (They have a radio show here in Los Angeles) a few years back.

Brian is either describing how long something is, or preparing to reach into Mark's back pocket to retrieve his wallet.

tbrooke

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jun 2007, 12:36 pm »
Great

I think VMPS should copy apple and do a version of the PC guy vs Mac guy campaign with John and Brian. Maybe speaker design guy vs speaker delivery guy.

Design Guy - Look at my new variable minimum phase quasi second order passive crossover for my new R90
Delivery Guy - Wow 8 feet tall 300 pounds if I bench press this speaker  5 time it would be a great workout and it        sounds good too

Sorry guys couldn't resist  :lol: 

Tom

jonbee

« Reply #7 on: 16 Jun 2007, 05:50 pm »
Here's my condo-sized rig:

RM30C Piano rosewood w/Auricaps,BH5,OXO
Bybee filters on speaker and amp inputs (8 total)
PS Audio GCC-100 integrated
ModWright Platinum Signature/Sony 999ES SACD/CD/DVD
Sunfire/Carver D10 subs-veneered in granite x 2
Alphacore Triode quartz i/cs (silver)
.99999 silver/teflon braided cables for top end
Mapleshade Golden Helix for woofers

TV is covered by a tapestry.
« Last Edit: 16 Jun 2007, 06:18 pm by jonbee »

Levi

« Reply #8 on: 16 Jun 2007, 05:54 pm »
This one taken a few years back with the "Master".

John Casler

« Reply #9 on: 17 Jun 2007, 08:32 pm »
added to MAIN Gallery

« Last Edit: 17 Jun 2007, 09:06 pm by John Casler »

John Casler

« Reply #10 on: 28 Nov 2007, 05:47 pm »
RM30 Piano Gloss Rosewood

Se7en

« Reply #11 on: 24 Aug 2008, 07:34 pm »
Old Room in San Francisco

New Room in Austin

« Last Edit: 26 Oct 2008, 02:12 pm by Se7en »

John Casler

« Reply #12 on: 19 Oct 2010, 08:45 pm »
How about a vintage pair of FF3?

John Casler

« Reply #13 on: 16 Jan 2011, 06:36 pm »
Here is a new Pic one of our VMPS'ers just sent me.  Pretty impressive set up :thumb:

stehno

« Reply #14 on: 11 Dec 2014, 06:26 am »
My VMPS RM40's.

audiomagnate

« Reply #15 on: 31 Dec 2017, 12:07 pm »

My one of a kind, triamped VPMS Frankenspeakers. Designed with over the phone help form Brian Cheney.

SpeakerDoc

« Reply #16 on: 6 Apr 2018, 11:15 pm »
What did those start out as?

What type of mids?   Are they dipole?

Stimpy

« Reply #17 on: 29 Apr 2018, 05:02 pm »
What did those start out as?

What type of mids?   Are they dipole?

The original speakers would have been VMPS FF-1's, with dual Dynapleat mids.  And to the best of my knowledge, the added Monsoon planar mid wing is a hinged enclosure, sealed on the back.  Though, the hinge does allow the mids to be rotated and aimed, for better imaging.

Here's an AC thread, talking about the conversion.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=147973.0

thepianoman04

« Reply #18 on: 15 Jun 2018, 07:37 pm »
These were my dad's first and only pair of VMPS speakers.

Brian Cheney's prototype/first speaker the VMPS Wide Range Ribbon speakers with original Strathearn ribbons. Originally posted in the VMPS speakers for sale thinking it would get more viewership but was frowned upon since I wasn't selling them. So here I am, showing off what memento I have left of not only Brian Cheney's but also my dad's who passed 2 years ago.

These are all I ever knew growing up and took them for granted until I inherited them and realized how rare they are (apparently 1-9 or 1-11 ever made). I may be slightly biased but I've heard other speakers and none compare. Brian really out did himself with these speakers and am trying my best to keep my dad's memory alive by giving them the power they need as they are very inefficient. I'm not even coming close to using the power I have to the point of playing them at ear deafening levels. Just plenty of head room!

Recently added 4 Emotiva XPR-1s to make sure these speakers never want or need any power. EVER! 3,500 watts a channel into 2 speakers. 2 XPA-1s for 2,000 watts into the larger VMPS subs in the pictures as well and eventually will get my hands on a VMPS LCR and will bi-amp it with 2,000 watts as well. No big deal to have 11,000 watts of power just in my front stage. (5 speakers) :)

Would love to know if anyone out there has a pair just like these of the Wide Range Ribbons. Curious to know what the actual number is out there of these floating around. If any.

Keep an eye out for a link to my youtube channel. I may upload some videos of them playing some audiophile tracks I like. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJWZogcxcPt7tUvzi78BScQszPIxTWiHl

Probably won't do it justice through video but will give you an idea of the wall of sound these babies can put out.

Musik2

« Reply #19 on: 23 Mar 2023, 03:15 pm »
Double stacked vmps tower ii