Shawn's Exotica 3's in "sinker" cypress

sfox7076

Re: Shawn's Exotica 3's in "sinker" cypress
« Reply #40 on: 13 Oct 2014, 12:54 pm »
Lampizator shipping soon.  Speakers are not completely dialed in yet.  Getting the SPL on the bass right has been tricky, but I think I am there.  The real test will be measuring with my computer. I need to get a calibrated mic to do that though.  Regardless. the speakers sound amazing. 

sfox7076

« Reply #41 on: 17 Oct 2014, 04:43 pm »
And the included hat was great.  My son has stolen it.  I will have to order another. 

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #42 on: 17 Oct 2014, 04:50 pm »
Awesome!   :thumb:   Another audiophile in the making...that's how I got started. 

robcentola

« Reply #43 on: 17 Oct 2014, 06:45 pm »
Sweet! What do I have to do to get one of those hats?

Set up looks great btw

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #44 on: 17 Oct 2014, 06:47 pm »

Set up looks great btw
Simple.  For $12,000 one will arrive and you get a pair of Salk Exoticas as a bonus.   :P

sfox7076

« Reply #45 on: 17 Oct 2014, 06:50 pm »
But only after you have previously bought SongTower RTs, SongSurrounds, one SongCenter RT, 1 Rythmik Salk Sub and two SongSurround IIs as bookshelves... 

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #46 on: 17 Oct 2014, 06:52 pm »
But only after you have previously bought SongTower RTs, SongSurrounds, one SongCenter RT, 1 Rythmik Salk Sub and two SongSurround IIs as bookshelves...
:o

robcentola

« Reply #47 on: 17 Oct 2014, 07:18 pm »
Ha!

laulau

« Reply #48 on: 17 Oct 2014, 07:22 pm »

+1 
I want one (or 2) of those hats too!    :thumb:

Jim, how do we go about ordering?

sfox7076

« Reply #49 on: 17 Oct 2014, 07:37 pm »
WAF on these is very high.  And I am done for a long long time...  Note, any order of a hat will not include the attached 2.5 year old.

sfox7076

« Reply #50 on: 8 Nov 2014, 12:53 am »
Anyone here try Dana Cables?

Nick77

« Reply #51 on: 8 Nov 2014, 01:25 am »
I believe Gopher has.......

sfox7076

« Reply #52 on: 8 Nov 2014, 02:34 am »
I meant in the Salk world.

sfox7076

« Reply #53 on: 9 Nov 2014, 05:34 am »
Swapped my NCore mono blocks in for my Ultimate 70.  These speakers like power.  The speaker has opened up even further than I had imagined was kissable.   Seamus Egan's When Juniper Sleeps has never sounded so amazing.  And the soundstage is wide as can be.  Guess I may sell my Ultimate 70 in advance of when I thought I would. 

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #54 on: 9 Nov 2014, 12:31 pm »
Swapped my NCore mono blocks in for my Ultimate 70.  These speakers like power.  The speaker has opened up even further than I had imagined was kissable.   Seamus Egan's When Juniper Sleeps has never sounded so amazing.  And the soundstage is wide as can be.  Guess I may sell my Ultimate 70 in advance of when I thought I would. 

Wow! So I guess regardless of higher sensitivity or not, if you send tons of power their going to sing!

Just curious if your ncores are the diy version?

sfox7076

« Reply #55 on: 9 Nov 2014, 01:25 pm »
Yep. DIY 400s.  Going to sell the AVA amp while I wait for my other amps to be completed.  Transformers finally came in. 

You kno, Jim seemed to have the same experience as he originally drove Exoticas with Frank's Ultravalve, but found a 600r made the speakers sound better.   What is odd to me is that I had the opposite experience with the less efficient HT2s. I preferred the Ultimate 70 to the NCore.  May also be sub implementation. I didn't use a sub for music on the HT2s.  I suppose that the new speakers with subs react a bit differently, but I cannot think of an actual physical reason why.  Just audiophoolary.

I do miss some of the air I got from my Mullard XF2s, but the bigger soundstage and separation in the instruments is worth it.  Really hoping the 110 watts the new tube amp will provide will give me the best of all worlds.  I will be really conflicted about selling the Ultimate 70.  I love the sound, but I have no room for another tube amp.  I have a Dodd EL84 amp at work. When the power supply blows, I guess I will need a new amp or someone to fix his design, but for now it works and sounds great. Sigh. Decisions.

Saturn94

« Reply #56 on: 9 Nov 2014, 03:23 pm »
... May also be sub implementation. I didn't use a sub for music on the HT2s.  I suppose that the new speakers with subs react a bit differently, but I cannot think of an actual physical reason why.  Just audiophoolary. ....

Not audiophoolary at all.  I and others found the HT2-TLs sounded better with a good sub than full range.  The reason is simple.  Asking a driver to produce bass and mids at the same time causes the mids to to suffer.  Take bass duties away and the mids (and bass if using a good sub) clean up nicely. ;)
« Last Edit: 30 Jan 2015, 08:06 pm by Saturn94 »

sfox7076

« Reply #57 on: 9 Nov 2014, 03:32 pm »
That would imply the NCore caused the HT2 to push more base than the Ultimate 70. Maybe I guess. 

sfox7076

« Reply #58 on: 30 Jan 2015, 03:49 am »
So today I got the shivers again.  I put on Live at Fingerprints - Warts and All by Damien Rice.  Literally got shivers during "I Remember" when Lisa Hannigan begin singing.   Midrange on this disc is awesome.