Why can't I use the buttons on the BDP-3 when there is no internet?

Hoiman

Why can't I use the buttons when there is no internet connection to the BDP-3?
Here at home we have a very bad internet connection. So I have a seperate wifi router (netgear R7800).
This router is wired to the BDP-3 and via a Devolo (through the power suplpy) it is connected to the internet.
I need internet because otherwise this router doesn't work without it (don't ask me why manufactures make only wifi routers that only works when they are connected to the internet  :duh: :duh: :duh:).

So as you can guess when there is no internet I can't operate my BDP-3 by browser. BUT the BDP-3 can't also be operate manually by using the butons!! Why is this feature??

It's very unhandy because when music is playing I can't do anything but listen to it, I can't skip, stop etc.. When I reset the Devolo and wait till the internet is back I can use the buttons on the BDP-3 again.

Why can't I use the buttons all the time, no matter if it's connected to the internet or not?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
The buttons should continue to operate, perhaps your router is having some sort of negative effect on the BDP.  The BDP does attempt to check for firmware updates and network status, it could be this in combination with something your router is doing thats causing the program responsible for buttons to crash or become otherwise unresponsive.  Are you running S2.34 or one of the S2.35 test releases?

Cheers,
Chris

srb

It sounds like either your router or your powerline ethernet adapter is misbehaving.  If you unplug the BDP-3 from the powerline adapter (no internet connection either) do the buttons work properly?

You should check your router to see if a firmware update is available, although my first guess would be that something is wonky with the powerline ethernet adapter.

Steve

Hoiman

I'm running S2.34. I will check tomorrow what happens if the inetrnet is gone and unplugging the networkcable off from the BDP-3.

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
You are welcome to try it at my place... I am just 4 blocks away.

Er is ergens iets fout in je router/bekabeling/aangesloten apparaten, slecht internet komt hier gewoon echt niet voor.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
You are welcome to try it at my place... I am just 4 blocks away.

Er is ergens iets fout in je router/bekabeling/aangesloten apparaten, slecht internet komt hier gewoon echt niet voor.

Slecht internet is zeldzaam tegenwoordig. Succes.  :thumb:

Hoiman

The problem question isn't about the bad internet, I don't get it why it has to freeze my BDP-3. There must be something in the code of the BDP-3 that triggers this? Handle me the code and I wil take a look at it.

Het probleem is dat het wifi signaal niet door de constructie van het huis komt. Hierdoor komt de wifi router van Ziggo al slecht in de woonkamer als de woonkamerdeur dicht is. Dit is al redelijk opgelost door het nieuwe witte kastje van Ziggo. Maar aangezien de BDP-3 ook aangesloten moet worden op het internet is er een bedraad aansluitpunt nodig. Daar het niet handig is om een kabel over de vloer te hebben liggen heb ik een Devolo gekocht. Maar aangezien daar waar het netwerk vanuit Ziggo naar de Devolo gaat, op een andere stroomgroep zit dan waar de BDP-3 met de Devolo is aangesloten. Dit zorgt voor een heel instabiel netwerk en meestal zodra er veel verkeer heen en weer gaat stopt deze de verbinding. Daarom heb ik een Netgear router gekocht in de hoop dat deze ook zou werken als deze geen internet verbinding heeft. Maar helaas hebben de fabrikanten deze wifi routers zo danig gebouwd dat ze alleen werken als er internet is. Heb met Netgear gebeld waarom dit zo is, antwoord is dat ze er nooit bij stil hadden/hebben gestaan om wifi routers die normaal gesproken bedoelt zijn om contact met het internet te hebben ook stand-alone te laten werken, dus weggegooid geld en vandaar dat ik het over slecht internet heb. Eigenlijk moet er staan een slecht netwerk dat de internet verbinding er steeds uit gooit.
Maar het punt is dat ik niet snap dat dit de BDP-3 doet stoppen om manueel te bedienen.

srb

But unfortunately, the manufacturers have built these Wi-Fi routers so that they only work when there is internet. Having called with Netgear why this is the answer is that they never stopped to have wifi routers that are normally meant to have Internet access also be able to work stand-alone, so discarded money and hence that I'm talking about bad internet.

I've never seen a Netgear or any wireless router require an Internet connection to have a functioning LAN.

Sometimes on initial setup there might be an automated setup wizard that is looking for an Internet connection in which case you simply exit the wizard and proceed with manual setup.

Hoiman

The LAN is working, but the WAN isn't and that's just the one I need to communicate from my telephone's browser to the BDP-3

Marius

The LAN is working, but the WAN isn't and that's just the one I need to communicate from my telephone's browser to the BDP-3

No you dont, provided your phone is on WiFi too.
Cheers marius

Hoiman

No you dont, provided your phone is on WiFi too.

?? I don't think I understand you.
When there's no internet available for the router the wan doesn't work, only lan, so I can't connect from my phone to the router (read: connect to the BDP-3).

srb

When there's no internet available for the router the wan doesn't work, only lan, so I can't connect from my phone to the router (read: connect to the BDP-3).

I think you might be confusing WAN = Wide Area Network (Internet) with WLAN = Wireless Local Area Network?

In any case, you don't need an Internet connection for the WLAN Wireless Local Area Network to work.  Sounds like you need to reset the router to factory default and start over.

Steve

Hoiman

I think you might be confusing WAN = Wide Area Network (Internet) with WLAN = Wireless Local Area Network?

Aha ok, yes that's what I mean  :thumb:

In any case, you don't need an Internet connection for the WLAN Wireless Local Area Network to work.  Sounds like you need to reset the router to factory default and start over.

But the answer from Netgear was that for the wifi to work I need internet, wlan. So I don't know what I can do, they also don't know it at Netgear.

Marius

Aha ok, yes that's what I mean  :thumb:

But the answer from Netgear was that for the wifi to work I need internet, wlan. So I don't know what I can do, they also don't know it at Netgear.

That also isn’t the case. You’re router should perfectly be able to manage your Lan And Wifi without (internet).

Reboot, don’t reset (yet)  the router and see what happens.
Cheers Marius

srb

Reboot, don’t reset (yet)  the router and see what happens.

I assumed that the router would have already been rebooted multiple times and that the firmware version was checked and updated to the latest version if necessary as I suggested earlier.

Steve

Marius

I assumed that the router would have already been rebooted multiple times and that the firmware version was checked and updated to the latest version if necessary as I suggested earlier.

Steve

You're absolutely right, the advised order of things. Missed that, sorry.
Somehow it seems strange though that 'the Internet' is bad. 99,9% of the Netherlands has perfect cabled/fiber Internet, speedy at that.

Maybe something else is amiss at Hoiman's.

cheers,
Marius

Hoiman

Somehow it seems strange though that 'the Internet' is bad.

It's the network that brings the internet around that is bad in my house.

Marius

It's the network that brings the internet around that is bad in my house.

Do you have your Cablemodem set in Bridge mode (check https://www.ziggo.nl/klantenservice/wifi/modem/bridge-modus/ and https://community.ziggo.nl/search?q=bridge&forum=101) (call Ziggo to do that, you won't be able to do it yourself) if you use your own router for Wifi in your house. Any other setting is prone to network issues. Search this forum https://ziggo.gebruikers.eu/forum/ for users and solutions if still needed.

Main reason is if you don't use bridge mode, both devices (cable modem and router) send wifi and act as dhcp servers. With incompatible adresses in separate ranges. You need to adjust those settings for it to work, and still it isn't optimal if it does.
Take out the cablemodem wifi and DHCP, let your own router do that. Benefit from super speeds and better security. Not to mention the ability to shield your internet usage and Lan activity from Ziggo  :thumb:

Cheers,
Marius

Hoiman

Dit verandert er in bridge-modus

Alle wifi-opties van het modem gaan uit.
De DHCP-server en NAT-instellingen vervallen.
De firewall schakelt uit.
Je kunt WifiSpots niet meer gebruiken.
De LAN-aansluitingen 2 t/m 4 gaan uit.

This changes in bridge mode

All Wi-Fi options of the modem will go out.
The DHCP server and NAT settings expire.
The firewall turns off.
You can not use WifiSpots anymore.
The LAN connectors 2 to 4 turn off.

So this is no option. No more use of hotspots and lan 2 to 4 turn off.

Marius

So this is no option. No more use of hotspots and lan 2 to 4 turn off.

Think again: hotspots are useless (4g is much better and safer) and lan 2-4 are on your own router. You don’t need that facility on your cable modem.
Just like before we had these new cable modems.

Plus: it solves your problem... (and gives you many many more advantages configuring the router. Think Vpn, think port forwarding etc etc)

Cheers
Marius