BDP-3

Hoiman

Re: BDP-3
« Reply #300 on: 18 Jun 2017, 07:43 pm »
James,
How does it work now the BDP-3 is in service mode? I have to keep the player on?
What I just saw was that the service ID is changed from 170 to 22.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #301 on: 19 Jun 2017, 12:12 am »
James,
How does it work now the BDP-3 is in service mode? I have to keep the player on?
What I just saw was that the service ID is changed from 170 to 22.

Ok please send 22 to Chris.  I think he is away until tomorrow.

Hoiman

« Reply #302 on: 19 Jun 2017, 10:40 am »
now the ID = 154. Why do they change?

ps, I already mailed Chris.

gbaby

« Reply #303 on: 19 Jun 2017, 02:27 pm »
A lot has to do with how the USB is implemented.

I actually prefer USB in my setup with the BDP-3 and BDA-3

james

James, I have been experimenting with using USB on my SP3, and I believe you have a point. While my AES input to the SP3 seemingly delivers more slam in the frequency extremes, the USB has a more relaxed sound that makes the mid range frequencies seem more pronounced and better articulated. I can now see the importance of ungrading my SP3 USB input for listening to the higher sampling rates.

Rod_S

« Reply #304 on: 21 Jun 2017, 11:30 am »
Hi Rod

We are definitely going to offer it - just working out the costing.

james

Thanks

Xinon

« Reply #305 on: 12 Jul 2017, 04:14 pm »
Bdp3 sent from Bryston, probably get it next week YUHUU :thumb:
« Last Edit: 16 Jul 2017, 03:39 pm by Xinon »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #306 on: 12 Jul 2017, 04:23 pm »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston BDP-2 Upgrade To BDP-3

July, 2017

Hi Folks,

Bryston is pleased to announce an upgrade path from a BDP-2 Digital player to our new BDP-3 Digital Player for our customers.

The Upgrade Includes:

•   New Main Board
•   New Back Panel
•   New Cable assemblies
•   Quad Core Processor
•   USB -3 (x3) ... USB-2 (x5)
•   8 GB of Memory Avaialble
•   Two Independent USB Buss on Rear
•   Much Faster Load Times for Music Libraries
•   Much faster Ripping Times for CD’s with the Bryston BOT

Price is $1500 plus shipping.

Marius

« Reply #307 on: 12 Jul 2017, 04:44 pm »
Probably against better knowledge, but given the fact that the only thing remaining the same is the frontpanel, which is the same as on our beloved Bdp-1's, would the upgrade be possible on a Bdp-1 too?

Would be way majestic....

Cheers
Marius

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #308 on: 12 Jul 2017, 04:52 pm »
Probably against better knowledge, but given the fact that the only thing remaining the same is the frontpanel, which is the same as on our beloved Bdp-1's, would the upgrade be possible on a Bdp-1 too?

Would be way majestic....

Cheers
Marius

Hi Marius,

No sorry only the BDP-2.

james

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #309 on: 12 Jul 2017, 05:21 pm »

Grant Hill

« Reply #310 on: 13 Jul 2017, 10:25 am »

Well, I think it's a nice opportunity... why are you posting that image?

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #311 on: 13 Jul 2017, 10:52 am »
Well, I think it's a nice opportunity... why are you posting that image?

Seemed appropriate imo. Don't take it personally.

Grant Hill

« Reply #312 on: 13 Jul 2017, 12:01 pm »
Seemed appropriate imo. Don't take it personally.

Sure, no issues

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #313 on: 4 Aug 2017, 10:42 am »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston BDP-2 Upgrade To BDP-3

July, 2017

Hi Folks,

Bryston is pleased to announce an upgrade path from a BDP-2 Digital player to our new BDP-3 Digital Player for our customers.

The Upgrade Includes:

•   New Main Board
•   New Back Panel
•   New Cable assemblies
•   Quad Core Processor
•   USB -3 (x3) ... USB-2 (x5)
•   8 GB of Memory Avaialble
•   Two Independent USB Buss on Rear
•   Much Faster Load Times for Music Libraries
•   Much faster Ripping Times for CD’s with the Bryston BOT

Price is $1500 plus shipping.

How do we go about doing that James?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #314 on: 4 Aug 2017, 04:19 pm »
Hi

Contact Mike Pickett - mpickett@bryston.com

james

DarqueKnight

« Reply #315 on: 14 Aug 2017, 05:33 pm »
@James Tanner
@unincognito

The BDP-3 manual says it outputs DSD64 via HDMI. There wouldn't be any problem playing multichannel DSD64 music files from the BDP-3, correct? I would be upgrading a BDP-2 to BDP-2.5 with the upgrade kit and outputting FLAC and DSD64 stereo and multichannel files to an HDMI input on the Yamaha CX-A5100 preamp/processor in my home theater system.

I am currently playing multichannel music files via the HDMI output of an Oppo UDP-205 blu-ray player. The Oppo's user interface for music is very cumbersome, as I must use my TV

Other questions:

1. As I understand it, the power supplies of the BDP-2 and BDP-3 are identical. The only functional differences are the main board, back panel, and some internal cabling, correct?
2. Does the BDP-3's HDMI output use the IAD board, or, just like the BDP-2, only the AES and S/PDIF outputs use the IAD?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #316 on: 14 Aug 2017, 08:13 pm »
@James Tanner
@unincognito

The BDP-3 manual says it outputs DSD64 via HDMI. There wouldn't be any problem playing multichannel DSD64 music files from the BDP-3, correct? I would be upgrading a BDP-2 to BDP-2.5 with the upgrade kit and outputting FLAC and DSD64 stereo and multichannel files to an HDMI input on the Yamaha CX-A5100 preamp/processor in my home theater system.

I am currently playing multichannel music files via the HDMI output of an Oppo UDP-205 blu-ray player. The Oppo's user interface for music is very cumbersome, as I must use my TV

Other questions:

1. As I understand it, the power supplies of the BDP-2 and BDP-3 are identical. The only functional differences are the main board, back panel, and some internal cabling, correct?
2. Does the BDP-3's HDMI output use the IAD board, or, just like the BDP-2, only the AES and S/PDIF outputs use the IAD?

i feel like that could be a mistake, i believe i've tried this and it was a no go between a BDP-3 and BDA-3 via HDMI.  It would go up to 192KHz 24bit pcm, but it wouldn't lock onto DSD from the BDP.  The playback software built into the BDP is stereo only, we've thought about adding multi-channel capability, but know ones been really pushing for it.

I thought OPPO had a iOS and Android Apps for controlling playback?

The HDMI doesn't use the built in IAD, but rather is driven by the onboard intel chipset and was primarily left in there to allow people to compare, as a visual aid (S2.35 or newer) and we thought we might take a crack at multichannel at some point (maybe do a mplayer web gui).

Chris

Marius

« Reply #317 on: 14 Aug 2017, 08:46 pm »
@James Tanner
@unincognito

Other questions:

Hi DarqueKnight,

great to hear about your Oppo205 and Bryston combi in setup. We've been discussing this in another thread, while wondering about various preferences for HDMI output and optimal DAC settings. please see Re: BDA-3 DAC

Would you care to tell us about your experience please? I'm particularly interested in how to get the best sound out of my SACD and BD audio discs. Use a HDMI de-embedder at the moment into my BDA1, but would think the BDA3 with its native HDMI input and newer DAC perform better. Also, the 205 dac seems up to the latest specs, so im also very interested in a comparison between the Oppo and the BDA3.

Thanks,
Marius

DarqueKnight

« Reply #318 on: 15 Aug 2017, 01:45 am »
I thought OPPO had a iOS and Android Apps for controlling playback?

Yes, Oppo does offer iOS and Android apps for controlling playback, and I do not like using my cell phone (Samsung S7) with its relatively small display, as a remote control. As I said...cumbersome. I use a docked tablet computer, running Windows 8.1, as a control device for the web-enabled components in my home theater system. I use Oppo's Android app on the Windows tablet by using an Android emulator, NOXplayer (free). The screenshot below shows how the NOXplayer GUI appears on my tablet computer's desktop. Since the Oppo's app was written for small mobile phone screens, it only occupies 29% of of the tablet's desktop. Also, creating playlists with this app is not very friendly. Sometimes the app has to be restarted for newly added songs to show up in the playlist.

Hi DarqueKnight,

great to hear about your Oppo205 and Bryston combi in setup. We've been discussing this in another thread, while wondering about various preferences for HDMI output and optimal DAC settings. please see Re: BDA-3 DAC

Would you care to tell us about your experience please? I'm particularly interested in how to get the best sound out of my SACD and BD audio discs. Use a HDMI de-embedder at the moment into my BDA1, but would think the BDA3 with its native HDMI input and newer DAC perform better. Also, the 205 dac seems up to the latest specs, so im also very interested in a comparison between the Oppo and the BDA3.

I am using the DAC stage of my Yamaha CX-A5100 preamp/processor to decode DSD via HDMI from the Oppo UDP-205. With the Yamaha pre/pro, I did not experience the popping issue that some BDA-3 owners complained about when going from a PCM to DSD file and vice versa.

Marius

« Reply #319 on: 4 Sep 2017, 05:35 am »
Yes, Oppo does offer iOS and Android apps for controlling playback, and I do not like using my cell phone (Samsung S7) with its relatively small display, as a remote control. As I said...cumbersome.

Thanks DK,

Will the Oppo app allow for a tv -less operation? I’ve several BD audio that require me to turn on the tv to scroll through the menu/ chapters and then select tracks. Would be lovely if this were to be catered for through the app?
This playlist looks fine, but (how) is the full track list displayed upon disc load?

Cheers Marius