MQA: No need to worry (:

witchdoctor

Re: MQA: No need to worry (:
« Reply #60 on: 23 Sep 2017, 03:02 pm »
Another label and more artists getting on board the MQA train. Even the artists are "authenticating" that MQA reproduces the exact sound they intended:

At the event attendees listened to a comparison of the same Ky recording “Bint el Shalabiya” in WAV and MQA.  Artist Maki Nakano (Ky saxophonist), who was in attendance, was asked for her opinion and instantly responded, “I definitely prefer MQA because it reproduces exactly the sound I felt in my head, through my ears and in my bones, at the time of recording the music.”

Reiji Asakura, respected audiovisual critic and writer, who was also among the attendees, exclaimed, “How wonderful, we have witnessed ‘authentication’ from the artist in real time!”

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/synthax-japans-rme-premium-recordings-release-mqa-music/

witchdoctor

« Reply #61 on: 23 Sep 2017, 09:03 pm »
While the difference between a WAV file and MQA are obvious hirez PCM and MQA tracks are indistinguishable to most listeners. Did you know that in blind listening tests people can't tell the difference between a hirez PCM track and an MQA track?

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2017/09/mqa-core-vs-hi-res-blind-test-part-ii.html

orientalexpress

« Reply #62 on: 23 Sep 2017, 09:30 pm »
While the difference between a WAV file and MQA are obvious hirez PCM and MQA tracks are indistinguishable to most listeners. Did you know that in blind listening tests people can't tell the difference between a hirez PCM track and an MQA track?

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2017/09/mqa-core-vs-hi-res-blind-test-part-ii.html
They're can't tell the difference and why would I buy a MQA dac  ? :nono:

Stupid does stupid thing  :lol:

witchdoctor

« Reply #63 on: 23 Sep 2017, 11:02 pm »
They're can't tell the difference and why would I buy a MQA dac  ? :nono:

Stupid does stupid thing  :lol:

You didn't read the article or you would have seen a variety of DAC's used by the testers and most of them weren't MQA DAC's  :duh:

DAC: Cambridge Audio DACMagic Plus, GD-Audio DAC, Jadis JS2 Mk IV, TEAC UD-501, Oppo BDP-105(D), DIY AKM AK4497 DAC, Rega DAC-R, Accuphase DP720, Oppo HA-1, Fiio X3 II, Burson Conductor V1 & V2, Auralic Vega, Mytek Brooklyn, TEAC UD-301, Schiit Yggdrasil, ASUS Xonar Essence STX, Meridian Explorer, iFi iDSD Nano, Sony NWA-30, Audiolab Q, Chord Mojo, Schiit Modi 2, Emotiva DC-1, Cambridge Audio Azur 851D, Denafrips Aries, T+A DAC 8 DSD, Gryphon DAC One, Resonessence Audio Herus, HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro, Chord QuteHD, dCS Vivaldi "stack"

orientalexpress

« Reply #64 on: 24 Sep 2017, 01:05 am »
You didn't read the article or you would have seen a variety of DAC's used by the testers and most of them weren't MQA DAC's  :duh:

DAC: Cambridge Audio DACMagic Plus, GD-Audio DAC, Jadis JS2 Mk IV, TEAC UD-501, Oppo BDP-105(D), DIY AKM AK4497 DAC, Rega DAC-R, Accuphase DP720, Oppo HA-1, Fiio X3 II, Burson Conductor V1 & V2, Auralic Vega, Mytek Brooklyn, TEAC UD-301, Schiit Yggdrasil, ASUS Xonar Essence STX, Meridian Explorer, iFi iDSD Nano, Sony NWA-30, Audiolab Q, Chord Mojo, Schiit Modi 2, Emotiva DC-1, Cambridge Audio Azur 851D, Denafrips Aries, T+A DAC 8 DSD, Gryphon DAC One, Resonessence Audio Herus, HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro, Chord QuteHD, dCS Vivaldi "stack"
Are this Dac play MQA?i don't think so,that mean they're have to buy one to compare. :o

Get real

witchdoctor

« Reply #65 on: 24 Sep 2017, 01:11 am »
Are this Dac play MQA?i don't think so,that mean they're have to buy one to compare. :o

Get real

You need to read the article, good luck with your audio adventures :D

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #66 on: 24 Sep 2017, 05:59 pm »
Okay, some of you guys are just starting to sound downright creepy.

'You only have to worry if you don't have it.'?

And the Mp3 analogy is absolutely accurate. Let's not play revisionist here. There are still hordes of posts being written this very moment daring anyone to tell the difference between 320 and lossless. Fully defending streaming with less compression as pointless. There was even a time when some folks were arguing that Mp3 sounded *better*. I know - for a brief period I was one of them way back in the day.

At least mp3 has the excuse of being *necessary* for so long because the bandwidth just wasn't there. MQA doesn't even have that. MQA has no reason to exist beyond the sheer will of its advocates.
Interesting point about high rate MP3.  I've shared experiences with other listeners when comparing lossless to MP3.  The algorithm removes the lowest amplitude frequency bins sometimes resulting in a "cleaner sound" because nuances were removed.  Depending on the recording, some listeners report a more pleasant sound with MP3.  Only the most resolving systems provide a clear difference on SOME tracks.

If you flip back a few pages, you will see a kind post about a service that streams unlimited 96/24.  It's not cheap, but if you spent $20k or more on your system, what's a few bucks for content to play on it?  Plus, with that particular service, you can BUY the tracks. No DRM.  Personally, I like to own the music. Then I can play it just about anywhere, and I only pay for it ONCE.

OzarkTom

« Reply #67 on: 3 Oct 2017, 08:15 pm »
HIGHRESAUDIO TO STOP OFFERING MQA
Online music provider to drop MQA, claiming format 'not lossless'

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/highresaudio-to-stop-offering-mqa/

audio.bill

« Reply #68 on: 3 Oct 2017, 10:42 pm »
HIGHRESAUDIO TO STOP OFFERING MQA
Online music provider to drop MQA, claiming format 'not lossless'

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/highresaudio-to-stop-offering-mqa/
That's very old news from back in March, and they apparently changed their tune (no pun intended) since a quick search of their site shows that they currently offer 257 titles in MQA: https://www.highresaudio.com/en/search/?title=MQA