Bryston announcing new SST3 amps

schugh

Re: Bryston announcing new SST3 amps
« Reply #880 on: 28 Apr 2017, 03:42 am »
I've got some money and am trying to decide if I should sell my 7BSST2 and get the 7BSST3.
Or maybe I should replace my Benchmark DAC2 HDR with the BDA3?
Which do you think would be a better move?
I'd especially like to hear from James if he is willing to advise.

-- Sanjay

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #881 on: 28 Apr 2017, 09:43 am »
I've got some money and am trying to decide if I should sell my 7BSST2 and get the 7BSST3.
Or maybe I should replace my Benchmark DAC2 HDR with the BDA3?
Which do you think would be a better move?
I'd especially like to hear from James if he is willing to advise.

-- Sanjay

Hi Sanjay

What is the rest on the system?

james

TJ-Sully

« Reply #882 on: 28 Apr 2017, 07:09 pm »
hi Sanjay

Nice position to be in. 8)

From what i've been reading about the new Cube series, I'd definitely lean towards the new 7B3's over a new DAC - unless HDMI connectivity is important to you. The Benchmark 2 seems like pretty good DAC. I bet the 7B3's would make that baby sing.

Good luck!

TJ

schugh

« Reply #883 on: 28 Apr 2017, 09:36 pm »
Hi Sanjay

What is the rest on the system?

james

It's a dual duty (Music and Movies) dedicated room in our new house (well, it's two years old now).
I have Magnepan 3.7i in the front with the CCR.
I have Magnepan 1.7s for surround duty.
Of course the 7BSST2 driving the 3.7i.
Two REL subs (10") (I forget the model # hooked up to the 7BSST2)
I have the Anthem MRX-510 for the center channel and surrounds.
ARC LS27 preamp
Oppo 103D
Bluesound Node.
Benchmark DAC2 HGC

For the Analog Front end I have:
VPI Classic Signature with 12" 3D Tonearm and Dynavector XX II cartridge etc.
Zesto Andros Phono Stage.

There is also an Epson 6030 projector and Stewart Screen.

I use a Synology 1815+ for music and video streaming to this room and other rooms around the house.
I recently started using ROON which is quite nice.

The room is 16' in the front for the first 13' and then 18' wide for the remainder 8' or 9'.

-- Sanjay

James Tanner

• Facilitator

RDavidson

« Reply #885 on: 29 Apr 2017, 04:33 pm »
http://www.10audio.com/bryston_2.5b3.htm

Though I haven't owned more than one Bryston amp (several years ago) I have always had great respect and interest in the brand. Note : I had to sell it to aid the purchase of my wife's engagement ring. :) But anyway, the biggest takeaway I got from the review was how good the 2.5B3 sounds at reasonable volumes (even with somewhat high sensitivity speakers). I haven't heard a class A/B amp that was truly able to "give up the goods" at low volume (maybe less than 10% of its rated output). They typically sounded tight, closed-in, and severely lacked naturalness. I understand that part of this is due to the fact that at lower volumes the speaker drivers aren't moving as much air....which can "amplify" the ill effects noted earlier. But my experience with other amplifier designs/topologies told me that the amp's behavior is definitely half the equation. Speakers and amps should be considered as a pair, not really as separate pieces. I'll say here that I'm a fan of Pass amps and a lot that has to do with the fact that I've had great experience with them at all volume levels, including low volume levels with single driver speakers. I'm sure there are many factors to this, which I don't fully understand. That Bryston amps, based on this review, also have this volume versatility is a major compliment to Bryston's engineering prowess. There are countless high powered behemoth amps out there that could launch a rocket. It all seems impressive on paper. But when it comes down to it, in real world situations, those amps fail to do what they're supposed to do in a realistic, balanced, and pleasing manner. It looks like I need to greatly consider a Bryston amp if/when I get the itch to try something new. Congratulations Bryston on a stellar review! I hope it catches the interest of others who have efficient speakers who might otherwise overlook Bryston. :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #886 on: 3 May 2017, 04:11 pm »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: 28B Mono Cubed – Customer Feedback

May, 2017

Hi Folks,

Got my Bryston 28B Cubed Mono Amps today.

I have owned several SS amps and heard thousands and I always found something was missing regardless of price. If you are tube fan boy you will know exactly what I mean  please don't get me wrong my tube amps won't go anywhere. I love both of them for different reasons.

Luckily I have one super dealer and he was kind enough for me to do a home demo of 4B3 Cubed amp and I had a zero hope until I plugged it  in .. ( comparing $5,600 amp vs my $23 k amp I know I know the price is not everything but usually what you pay is what you get )

I played few albums that I familiar with over the years and I was shaking my head and saying " What the heck ! This can't be right. It's a SS amp ! how come sounds so beautiful so neutral and not missing anything? "

It just blew me away with its performance with super tight bass ( my 15" driver finally found nice partner who can control her completely) and dead quiet. Also the vocal was very close to tube and wondering what 28B3 can do and I was done. I had to get them.

So far I played last 10 hours and just couldn't be happier. I had a very high end amp ($60k amp ) and I'm much more satisfied with Bryston 28B3.

It's also big step up from 4B3. Much more defined details and vocal has more weigh in to it (well I will review them more when break in is done ) thanks to James for making this wonderful amp that can compete with double or triple priced amps out there. It's a keeper 

Way to go Bryston. I'm a very happy camper.

Paul

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #887 on: 25 May 2017, 07:21 pm »
Hi Folks,

Outstanding review on our new 4B Cubed due out June 1st from Soundstage Magazine. - (includes measurements you won't believe)  :thumb:

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #888 on: 1 Jun 2017, 11:17 am »
SUBJECT:  The New 4B Cubed Review - Soundstage

June 2017

Hi Folks,

Please see below the link to a superb review on our new Bryston 4B Cubed amplifier from Roger Kanno of Soundstage Magazine

Favourite Quote:

“I was blown away by its amazing transparency, absolute control, and very smooth, very linear sound. In my system, its sound was nearly flawless -- no matter what I listened to.

I couldn’t imagine the sound being much better, at least in terms of accurate reproduction.”

Roger Kanno
Soundstage Magazine

http://www.soundstagehifi.com/index.php/equipment-reviews/1073-bryston-4b3-stereo-mono-amplifier

Also have a look at the exceptional measurements!

Measurements can be found through this link.

http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1699:bhk-labs-measurements-bryston-4b3-stereo-mono-amplifier&catid=97:amplifier-measurements&Itemid=154

Xinon

« Reply #889 on: 1 Jun 2017, 07:25 pm »
I upgraded my main system amp to the cubed from the squared this summer and really like the sound.  There is definite improvement in sound quality especially mids and highs.  You will hear the difference. You should try to demo.

Been very happy with my 4B SST2, but could not resist anymore and just ordered the 7B3  :D

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #890 on: 1 Jun 2017, 07:28 pm »
Been very happy with my 4B SST2, but could not resist anymore and just ordered the 7B3  :D

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

james

WillyP

« Reply #891 on: 1 Jun 2017, 07:29 pm »
Hi Jame,

Is there any news about the Cubed version of the 9B?

Kind regards,

Willy

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #892 on: 1 Jun 2017, 07:31 pm »
Hi Jame,

Is there any news about the Cubed version of the 9B?

Kind regards,

Willy

Hi Willy

Yes we are getting close - we are building a final prototype this month.

james

WillyP

« Reply #893 on: 1 Jun 2017, 07:35 pm »
Hi James,

That is good news indeed. Do you also know more about the price? About the same as the squared version?

Kind regards,

Willy

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #894 on: 1 Jun 2017, 07:40 pm »
Hi James,

That is good news indeed. Do you also know more about the price? About the same as the squared version?

Kind regards,

Willy

Hi Willy

No sorry - the bean counters tell me it is going up at retail about $900.00 with all the new circuitry and power supply. 

It will be more powerful and rated at 200 watts per channel.

james

WillyP

« Reply #895 on: 2 Jun 2017, 01:46 pm »
Hi James,

Thanks for your answer. The new price (about the price of a SP-3) seems quite fair to me. But don't tell the bean counters, otherwise they might change their minds.

Kind regards,

Willy

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #896 on: 9 Jun 2017, 02:44 pm »
Hi Folks,

We have a review coming on the new 7B Cubed Amplifiers and they asked us a number of detailed questions which I thought might be helpful.

SUBJECT: Bryston 7B Q & A

June 2017

Technical Questions: Bryston 7B³

1.Bryston was founded in 1976 in Peterborough, right? Who was the founder? What was the first product – do you have a picture for me?
2.What are mainly the technical improvements to the predecessor?
3.Regarding the low distortion input buffer - what is so new/special?
4.What are the improvements concerning the output stage?
5.The bandwidth up to 100 kHz is larger than the bandwidth of the predecessor but compared to other amps in the same class it isn’t very high. What is the reason for the moderate bandwidth Bryston prefers obviously? 
6.The 7B³ has the lowest damping factor/highest output impedance among the Bryston power amps. What is the reason for this? And do you think the sound of the 7B³ is as the result of this a little bit “special” compared to the other amps?
7.Do you have further information of the sense and the function of the Master Circuit Breaker? It seems like a unorthodox solution ...
8.How much is the VA of the toroidal transformer and the capacity of the filter capacitors?
9.What does “Energy storage power transformers“ mean?
10.How many output transistors work per channel and which type?
11.The circuit of the 7B³ is designed fully symmetrical?

ANSWERS:

Thanks for your inquiry. I shall answer your questions in order below:

1. Bryston was founded in 1962 in Toronto, by 3 people named Tony Bauer, Stan Rybb, and John Stoneborough.  John Russell, ex-NASA engineer and the father of Brian Russell and Chris Russell, bought the company in 1968. Among Bryston's first products was an electronic blood-testing unit called the 'Aggregometer'. Bryston made its first audio amplifiers in 1973.

2. The technical differences between the 7B Squared and the 7B³ lie in the input buffer. It is a new, patented design by Dr. Alexandru Salomie, who worked with Bryston for several years. The input buffer has very low THD and noise, and it also is extremely good at rejecting power-supply artifacts, noise and RF on the input cables. The result seems to be better imaging, depth and silent background on the musical presentation.

3. The input buffer's patent refers to new compensation methods to stabilize the high-gain, extremely linear amplification circuit, as well as a novel input filtering system to reject common-mode noise and RF before they get into the amplification circuitry.

4. The output stages of the Cubed Series amps are not changed from the Squared Series. We are happy with how they perform.

5. No musical instrument produces tones or harmonics substantially above 20KHz. Thus, Bryston feels that allowing an audio product to produce full power to RF frequencies does not improve the musical presentation and can only potentially lead to 'trouble' in the reproduction. That is why we use an effective RF filter at the input. 

6. The damping factor of the 7B³ is very similar to the 4B³ even though the 7B³ is a balanced output amplifier and the 4B³ is a single-ended output amplifier. This is because the output inductors on the 7B³ are a lower value. In fact, the effective damping factor on the 7B³ is normally higher than single-ended amplifiers because it can be placed very close to each speaker, with very short speaker cables.   

7. The Master Circuit Breaker on Bryston amplifiers takes the place of a power fuse. It means the user does not have to find and purchase a replacement fuse if it fails, and it cannot be defeated or replaced with a potentially unsafe value. 

8. The toridal transformer in each 7B³ is conservatively rated at 850W continuous, but has enormous excess capacity.

9. An energy storage transformer has a heavier-than-normal core to deliver a large internal magnetic field. This allows the transformer to deliver very high spikes of current from its energy storage when recharging the filter capacitors, instead of drawing directly from the wall through the power cord. That means much less Voltage 'sag' when delivering high power on crescendos, and maintains a much more stable sonic 'image'.

10. The 16 output transistors in each 7B³ are Bipolar types and use both NPN and PNP polarities on each half of the waveform for maximum linearity. Each transistor is rated at 230W and 16 Amps of current for a huge reserve of power handling capacity.

11. Yes, the 7B³ is completely symmetrical from input to output.

James

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #897 on: 9 Jun 2017, 03:48 pm »
It appears that Bryston has outdone themselves again. Listen to these amps and bring your wallet. Got Planars get Bryston.

charles

Xinon

« Reply #898 on: 9 Jun 2017, 03:57 pm »
Coming to a rack near me.... :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #899 on: 25 Jul 2017, 05:44 pm »
SUBJECT:  Bryston 14B Cubed Amplifier Review

July 2017

The Verdict:

"I did not believe that the older Bryston 14B SST2 amplifier could be improved upon!

A bastion of neutrality, gobs of power and bipolar output, bass quickness that squeezed out the last ounce of low extension.

However, the new 14B has got that power slam and more, plus relays a sense of detail refinement in smoothness, imaging and upper-end "air" over the old one. Dare I say, it is even better than the old amp with hi-res music, such as DSD 5.6, and 24/352 PCM. And I thought the old 14B was already a good hi-res capable, high power amp.

The new Bryston 14B3 Cube is certainly an Everything Audio Network Stellar Sound Award winner and a candidate for amp of the year."

John Gatski
Everything Audio