BDA-3 DAC

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
Re: BDA-3 DAC
« Reply #900 on: 24 Sep 2017, 05:27 pm »
There are stories out there about some manufacturers keeping a spare laser for every player they produce, just in case (who knows if this is actually true)
Do you keep a healthy inventory of these types of part, for the future?

While I can't speak on Brystons behalf, I would assume they likely have random parts leftover from old production runs shuffling around in boxes somewhere. But there's no guarantee that the part that you need is something that they happen to have sitting on the shelf.

Having worked briefly in some manufacturing sectors before, I can tell you that trying to maintain inventory is complicated and expensive. It's enough work just to keep up with your current products... but trying to keep stock of all the discontinued stuff? Not only is that more inventory to keep track of, but now you're taking up storage space and increasing overhead costs. After a certain point, a manufacturer must draw the line on what they're keeping around.

The Rang

« Reply #901 on: 24 Sep 2017, 07:48 pm »
While I can't speak on Brystons behalf, I would assume they likely have random parts leftover from old production runs shuffling around in boxes somewhere. But there's no guarantee that the part that you need is something that they happen to have sitting on the shelf.

Having worked briefly in some manufacturing sectors before, I can tell you that trying to maintain inventory is complicated and expensive. It's enough work just to keep up with your current products... but trying to keep stock of all the discontinued stuff? Not only is that more inventory to keep track of, but now you're taking up storage space and increasing overhead costs. After a certain point, a manufacturer must draw the line on what they're keeping around.

I work in the fire alarm business and we're facing the same dilemma all the time.
How long do you keep old parts (with the resulting financial implications) vs saying "obsolete" and convincing/forcing the customer to upgrade to new

skunark

« Reply #902 on: 24 Sep 2017, 08:48 pm »
I worked for an avionics company that had a 20 year support guarantee from time of purchase, they had to do lifetime buys when the components used went obsolete.   Obviously this was built into the price, but the cost of going through an FAA qualification far exceeded the storage cost of those lifetime buy.  Rumor in the office they repaired a box with a bullet hole for no charge.... I have a hard time believing that one, but knowing that company they would have repaired it.

I do like festool's approach, they have a ten year replacement part guarantee from when they stopped selling that model number. I wish more manufactures would adopt that practice, maybe for at least 5 years.

Jim

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #903 on: 16 Oct 2017, 10:38 am »
Hi James,

I have now compared BDA-3 DAC and my 6-yr old BDA-1 DAC, at home. AES only.

I never imagined this -- my BDA-1 is veiled. After all these years, the added transparency and improved stage on BDA-3 have revealed my BDA-1 to be quite warm. One track was all I needed: Patricia Barber's Nardis, as a CD Rip in FLAC, played on my BDP-2 thru AES. The percussion and sheen of the metallic drum kit were much more present than with BDA-1.Also played other tracks, like Rudolf Serkin (piano) on Beethoven's Choral Fantasy 9Bernstein/NY Phil) -- there was a moment when a stool creaked on the left channel, very subtle, but audible on BDA-3 -- veiled on BDA-1.

I swear, one of the elves at Bryston must have installed a tube somewhere inside my BDA-1 as a prank!

Also, could you give me the names of the engineers who designed this BDA-3? I want to mention them on my audio website!

Well done!

Pete

« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2017, 12:29 pm by James Tanner »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #904 on: 16 Oct 2017, 10:39 am »
Hi Pete

The engineer who designed the BDA-3 is Dan Marynissen

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #906 on: 23 Oct 2017, 11:15 pm »
James,

When's your promotion?
I will endorse it  :thumb:

CM

The Rang

« Reply #907 on: 24 Oct 2017, 03:08 am »
Yet another reviewer buys the sample.
Have any of these things ever come back from a review? ;)

Gerard

« Reply #908 on: 24 Oct 2017, 11:49 pm »
Quote from equipment report by Karl Schuster in TAS:
"As I continued comparing the BDA-3 and BDA-2 with familiar recordings, it became clear that the newer design rendered instrumental timbres with more substantive physical presence. Every instrument simply exhibited fuller, weightier solidity, independent of the frequency range covered. I suspect that this fundamental shift in tonal perspective may be due to a change in the type of digital filter that Bryston has chosen for the BDA-3 relative to the company’s prior digital offerings. This advancement manifested itself spatially, as well, with instruments and singers more fleshed-out both tonally and dimensionally."

If the assessment that I marked with underscore and typeface bold in the quote is correct, is it possible to upgrade the BDA-2 firmware with the new type of digital filter currently used in the BDA-3?
Although I am content with the SQ of the BDA-2, it is always interesting to benefit from latest research developments of Bryston!

audio.bill

« Reply #909 on: 25 Oct 2017, 12:51 am »
I'm sure that James will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the digital filters used in the BDA-3 are native to the newer AKM DAC being used and could therefore not be retrofitted to the BDA-2 via a firmware update.

Xinon

« Reply #910 on: 25 Oct 2017, 03:36 pm »
Congrats on fantastic review of BDA3 :thumb:
Do you know when the remote for the BDA3 is ready?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #911 on: 25 Oct 2017, 06:33 pm »
Congrats on fantastic review of BDA3 :thumb:
Do you know when the remote for the BDA3 is ready?

Hi

I believe BR2 remote will work with the BDA3.

james

Xinon

« Reply #912 on: 25 Oct 2017, 08:56 pm »
Hi

I believe BR2 remote will work with the BDA3.

james
But not for Hdmi inputs.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #913 on: 1 Nov 2017, 11:49 am »
David Quigley

Love this DAC. Connected HDMI (Audio Only) to it from an Oppo UDP-205. SACD bitstreams DSD straight to the BDA-3.

It even converts DTS-HD to Stereo for movies

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #914 on: 1 Nov 2017, 11:50 am »
Foxx Artizan Delaney

Artizan Audio GmBH recommends this as one of the top DACs on the market today,unbeatable at the price point

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #915 on: 3 Nov 2017, 11:02 am »
Hi James;

Just wanted to update you on how happy I am with the BDA3.

The DAC has many great qualities that enhance listening enjoyment, many of which have been discussed in reviews. It also easily reveals the natural dynamics in good recordings, and by dynamics I'm thinking of both micro dynamics and overall dynamic range. 

Dynamic range makes for good demos, but micro dynamics makes for a more believable musical experience, and brings the listening experience closer to "live", in my opinion.

I'm very much starting to believe that this "dynamic transparency" is typical of recent generations of Bryston gear . . . maybe even a hallmark . . .

Cheers
Brian
Matrix Theaters

BSC

« Reply #916 on: 9 Nov 2017, 10:04 am »
Still wondering if anyone has tried the Oppo 205 with the BDA-3?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #917 on: 9 Nov 2017, 10:32 am »
Hi Folks

Received my Bryston BDA-3 DAC.

First impressions are better that I expected.

There is a noticeable difference in sound. More detail but less harshness (the harshness that I did not know was there) Instruments sounds more natural. The bass is more tuneful.  Another good thing is it was very easy to setup. Plugged the HDMI 2 out on my OPPO 105D to the first HDMI input of Bryston. A few adjustments in OPPO settings and it worked flawlessly locking into whatever I feed into it, be it DSD or PCM.  I think it will only get better with time.

GEAR:
Kuzma Stabi M, Kuzma 4 Point, Kuzma Car 40, Transrotor Phono 8.2mc sym, Bryston BDA-3, Oppo 105d, Amtrans resistor based custom passive pre, line magnetic 503pa s.e.t. monoblocks (modded), AVM 3.2 s.s. monoblocks, hypex class d sub amp, diy horn based 6 way speakers

Kodomo
Turkey

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #918 on: 11 Nov 2017, 10:19 am »
Hi Folks,

Apparently we got a great review on the Bryston BDA-3 DAC in the latest electronic issue of UHF Magazine (I know they purchase one for their reference system).

I will try and get a link or a reprint.

james

The Rang

« Reply #919 on: 13 Nov 2017, 02:30 am »
Look forward to reading it.
My Father-In-Law is a subscriber, hope he gets the issue soon