IDA-8 ($995) features and spec

rustydoglim

Re: IDA-8 ($995) features and spec
« Reply #80 on: 21 Jul 2015, 08:27 pm »
So, unlike the HAP 100 that uses IC chips?  The IDA-8's preamp section is discrete? 

This may turn out to be just what I had been looking for.  That took me by surprise.

Yes. There are other tricks we do for IDA-8.

rodney gold

« Reply #81 on: 22 Jul 2015, 07:26 am »
My unit is in Customs in South Africa .. Im super keen to get my grubby paws on it , Im testing it vs my Devialet D premier..
when will wireless be available?

rustydoglim

« Reply #82 on: 22 Jul 2015, 05:22 pm »
I was pleasantly surprised by the "retail" packaging of IDA-8, very well done. I was involved in the design but did not actually see the box. I saw that for the first time today at the factory.

pesto9

« Reply #83 on: 22 Jul 2015, 06:50 pm »
Mine came in Monday and am about four hours listening time into it. Sounds great so far, am having to rethink speaker positioning a little as well as what is in my signal chain and all that. Great sound, build, and, for some reason I got TWO remotes: a standard tv wand one and a little credit-card one. Haven't tried out the bluetooth dongle yet.

Going straight in from the AppleTV I noticed the soundstage got wider, taller, and deeper, and cleaner. Can't wait to see how this thing opens up.

John Casler

« Reply #84 on: 22 Jul 2015, 07:16 pm »
My unit is in Customs in South Africa .. Im super keen to get my grubby paws on it , Im testing it vs my Devialet D premier..
when will wireless be available?

Rodney, your IDA-8 will come with Bluetooth Wireless in the box.

Stuart

« Reply #85 on: 22 Jul 2015, 07:54 pm »
There is a little group of us in the good old RSA that have some of these little babies in customs, we are going to write a bunch of reviews and will be sure to post them here. Cant wait, this looks like one special box of tricks. Good to see you here Rodney :)

John Casler

« Reply #86 on: 22 Jul 2015, 09:30 pm »
There is a little group of us in the good old RSA that have some of these little babies in customs, we are going to write a bunch of reviews and will be sure to post them here. Cant wait, this looks like one special box of tricks. Good to see you here Rodney :)

Stuart, Rodney, and all NuPRIME customers from RSA. . WELCOME.

Looking forward to your impressions of the IDA-8. 

bh46118

« Reply #87 on: 22 Jul 2015, 10:25 pm »
My advice finally paid off for someone. :lol: I'm very happy you like it, I only
recommend things that I believe in.

Mine came in Monday and am about four hours listening time into it. Sounds great so far, am having to rethink speaker positioning a little as well as what is in my signal chain and all that. Great sound, build, and, for some reason I got TWO remotes: a standard tv wand one and a little credit-card one. Haven't tried out the bluetooth dongle yet.

Going straight in from the AppleTV I noticed the soundstage got wider, taller, and deeper, and cleaner. Can't wait to see how this thing opens up.

viggen

« Reply #88 on: 22 Jul 2015, 11:23 pm »
i have the nuforce dda100 and love it with my linn kan but not so much with my altec 601c.  still looking for an integrated for the altec.

how does the ida8 compare to the dia100 in both the amp and dac section?

also, how does the aptx digital input compare to other digital inputs in terms of sound quality and format compatibility?

thx.
« Last Edit: 24 Jul 2015, 06:09 am by viggen »

rustydoglim

« Reply #89 on: 23 Jul 2015, 03:04 am »
I can't say about many other brands, but as far as NuPrime is concern, we try to make our products better and cheaper all the time. Other high-end brands are surviving by making fancy boxes more and more expensive utilizing third party class-d modules, we continue to innovate. So I can confidently make the general comment that IDA-8 amp will have no competition at this price point.

IDA-8 does up sampling and our bluetooth aptX dongle sends proprietary digital input to IDA-8 through a USB lookalike port (it is not USB) so we can ensure the highest quality for bluetooth and then up sample and decode.

But for people who wants to play with components, wait for DAC-8 or go with DAC-10 and ST-10.

John Casler

« Reply #90 on: 23 Jul 2015, 06:09 am »
i have the dia100 and love it with my linn kan but not so much with my altec 601c.  still looking for an integrated for the altec.

how does the ida8 compare to the dia100 in both the amp and dac section?

also, how does the aptx digital input compare to other digital inputs in terms of sound quality and format compatibility?

thx.

Have not heard the DIA100 but I know my old buddy Corey Greenburg used to like it.

I think it has a "passive" Volume Control, so you might find the stepped, thin film ladder Volume Control an interesting change.

I might also think that your Altec 601c would love the "even order" harmonics of the IDA-8, and if you like that type of "sonic" then it could be a match made in heaven.  What you then have, is a more "tube-like" sound quality, BUT. . with exceptional detail and tight dynamic and deep bass.

John Casler

« Reply #91 on: 23 Jul 2015, 06:30 am »
Might add, I think Hi Fi Tommy brought his Linns to a local listening meet I attended several years ago, and I distinctly remember being ever so impressed.

Plain, simple looking, but the sound was exceptional.  When we first plugged them in we weren't expecting too much and Tommy remained a little self deprecating, then we played some cuts.  WOW!

I think we were driving them with a Son of Ampzilla, which is another 100wpc tubelike solid state amp.

pmctexas

« Reply #92 on: 23 Jul 2015, 06:13 pm »
Received my IDA-8 and set-it up last night for first try. So far very impressive little package. Haven't done any critical listening yet but everything so far exceeds expectations !

bh46118

« Reply #93 on: 23 Jul 2015, 06:29 pm »
I had Linn Kans along with an LP 12 and Naim amp and pre. The Kans definitely have a certain magic about them.

Might add, I think Hi Fi Tommy brought his Linns to a local listening meet I attended several years ago, and I distinctly remember being ever so impressed.

Plain, simple looking, but the sound was exceptional.  When we first plugged them in we weren't expecting too much and Tommy remained a little self deprecating, then we played some cuts.  WOW!

I think we were driving them with a Son of Ampzilla, which is another 100wpc tubelike solid state amp.

wellpleased

• Industry Participant
« Reply #94 on: 24 Jul 2015, 01:12 am »
« Last Edit: 21 Aug 2019, 03:33 am by wellpleased »

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #95 on: 24 Jul 2015, 06:48 am »
I would be very interested in what people think of the blue tooth regarding sound quality compared to a direct connection.

I think one of these is in my friends and my future as this is perfect for his cabin and I'm moving my main stereo to a new location and simplifying my great room system. Depending on what the dac sounds like will be a factor for me as that is one component I like to be able to change as the technology advances. To this point I have favored nos dacs for their organic qualities but am open to new dacs that can portray a live like sound quality whatever the technology might be.

I apologize if this has been covered but I don't recall whether a unity gain or bypass has been employed on this unit?

srb

« Reply #96 on: 24 Jul 2015, 09:49 am »
I apologize if this has been covered but I don't recall whether a unity gain or bypass has been employed on this unit?

I asked this question at the start of this topic:

Is the "Individually adjustable volume on each input for precise level matching of sources" a limited trim range, or can it be used to set the analog input to 99% or 100% for use as an HT Bypass input?

And the response was:

Yes.  Each input remembers the Volume Control setting from the last use.  So you would simply set the "analog" RCA inputs to full volume for HT.

Steve

Stuart

« Reply #97 on: 24 Jul 2015, 01:49 pm »
Just picked up my unit from our Local agent Joel via Achim. We did a little listening to the one that Joel has had for a while and I was very impressed with what I heard, tried the Blue tooth via my phone and brought a smile to my face!

I will report back next week with a more detailed report.

Stu

viggen

« Reply #98 on: 24 Jul 2015, 04:05 pm »
I can't say about many other brands, but as far as NuPrime is concern, we try to make our products better and cheaper all the time. Other high-end brands are surviving by making fancy boxes more and more expensive utilizing third party class-d modules, we continue to innovate. So I can confidently make the general comment that IDA-8 amp will have no competition at this price point.

IDA-8 does up sampling and our bluetooth aptX dongle sends proprietary digital input to IDA-8 through a USB lookalike port (it is not USB) so we can ensure the highest quality for bluetooth and then up sample and decode.

But for people who wants to play with components, wait for DAC-8 or go with DAC-10 and ST-10.

Thanks.  I made a mistake in my previous post.  I meant to state i have the nuforce dda100 not the dia100 which is an acurus product.  Sorry for the confusion.  So, relatively, sound quality is better with bt than usb with the ida8?

John Casler

« Reply #99 on: 24 Jul 2015, 08:45 pm »
Thanks.  I made a mistake in my previous post.  I meant to state i have the nuforce dda100 not the dia100 which is an acurus product.  Sorry for the confusion.  So, relatively, sound quality is better with bt than usb with the ida8?

Got it.

In that case, yes, I have heard both, and while the DDA-100 was a WONDERFUL performer and value, the IDA-8 is in a totally different league, just a few notches down from the IDA-16.

The IDA-8 is also far quieter, (130db S/N or better) than the DDA-100.