« Reply #2200 on: 14 Aug 2017, 02:59 pm »
with S2.35 2017-08-11
Build: Manic Moose
MPD: 0.19.21 NEWS
Kernel: 3.16-0.bpo.2-48

Some of my artist won't load its says can't find data file

i'm also getting "DB crash detected"

Any ideas?

you'll need to place the BDP into service mode so we can run the program from command prompt. 

XMAN

Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #2201 on: 15 Aug 2017, 12:53 am »
you'll need to place the BDP into service mode so we can run the program from command prompt.

Hi Chris i have it in service mode please have a look id 106

Krutsch

« Reply #2202 on: 15 Aug 2017, 04:14 pm »
Eventually we'll either offer an option to attempt enforcing this format or just enforce this format, should be part of S2.38

Thanks for your response, though I am not sure what this means.

Suggestion: an option to use MPD's database, as opposed to what Manic Moose generates.

I have been playing around with loading WAV files into my BDP-1, after updating the tags to ID3 v2.3. With Soundirok, which is just presenting whatever MPD finds, all is well. However none of my WAV files show up in Manic Moose unless I browse by folder.

zoom25

« Reply #2203 on: 15 Aug 2017, 05:36 pm »

Suggestion: an option to use MPD's database, as opposed to what Manic Moose generates.

I have been playing around with loading WAV files into my BDP-1, after updating the tags to ID3 v2.3. With Soundirok, which is just presenting whatever MPD finds, all is well. However none of my WAV files show up in Manic Moose unless I browse by folder.

Please let us know if you figure out WAV in Manic Moose. I bought Soundirok awhile back but never got around to using it. It's good to hear that it works well. The system has been dismantled for the past few weeks and will put it back together in end of August.

In the meantime, I've been going back and using MP3Tag on Windows to redo my FLACs manually and make sure they are all correct and properly written. I might rerip my WAVs using those FLACs if Manic Moose gets it right. As a desktop user, Manic Moose is the convenient choice.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2204 on: 15 Aug 2017, 05:41 pm »

The artist view attempt  to identify track number values that aren't just a track number (ie 3/10) and attempt to simplify it (ie to 03).  This is why it shows correctly in the Artist view and not the others. 

Soundirok is generating values from the the paths, if the value actually existed in the MPD database then they would exist in the Bryston DB.  The Bryston DB simply analysis the MPD database much like Soundirok analysis the MPD database, the difference is the Bryston DB also has the ability to interrogate the files and currently we limit that to looking for cover art.  The Bryston DB has a similar feature to Soundirok's ability to interpret the file path to collect artist and album name (etc), but its disabled until a path is configured in the CD Backup program found in applications.  It'll take the path you configure for ripping audio cd's and apply it to files missing tag data.  I hope this help to clear things up.

Cheers,
Chris

Krutsch

« Reply #2205 on: 15 Aug 2017, 07:55 pm »
The artist view attempt  to identify track number values that aren't just a track number (ie 3/10) and attempt to simplify it (ie to 03).  This is why it shows correctly in the Artist view and not the others. 

Soundirok is generating values from the the paths, if the value actually existed in the MPD database then they would exist in the Bryston DB.  The Bryston DB simply analysis the MPD database much like Soundirok analysis the MPD database, the difference is the Bryston DB also has the ability to interrogate the files and currently we limit that to looking for cover art.  The Bryston DB has a similar feature to Soundirok's ability to interpret the file path to collect artist and album name (etc), but its disabled until a path is configured in the CD Backup program found in applications.  It'll take the path you configure for ripping audio cd's and apply it to files missing tag data.  I hope this help to clear things up.

Cheers,
Chris

Ah, I don't think so.

I know there is an option to do that, but my WAV files are presenting genre and album artist, which are not in the pathway. Somewhere the tag data is being read - either by MPD or by Soundirok. What's really odd is that the "new albums list" in both Soundirok and Manic Moose's new dashboard show similar collections - except the WAV files are missing from the Manic Moose version.

Do you have an idea why Manic Moose can't read the tags from the WAV files? Is this not supported?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2206 on: 15 Aug 2017, 11:13 pm »
Then its getting the genre and other tags from another source, musicbrainz perhaps.  No its never been supported as wav has no official support.

Marius

« Reply #2207 on: 18 Aug 2017, 07:21 pm »
This is so cool, the alphabet menu is perfect now! magical. In this implementation, it is a joy to work with, and indeed an enhancement to browsing the folder as it is. Thanks!

Something else you might be able to fix:

In the NAs setup page all available drives are displayed. If one wants to edit a drive, a click and select the edit box suffices. But then if you want to edit another drive, the selected specifics of the first drive are still in view, and don't change by selecting the other drive. Could you make this 'hot', that is to say, clicking the other drive, changes and shows that selected drive's specifics?

Cheers,
Marius

Chris, a big thanks!

Cheers,
Marius

Marius

« Reply #2208 on: 18 Aug 2017, 08:06 pm »
Chris,

Did you consider enabling the Bryston DB with selective drives? We chatted about it earlier but i think it was lost on the radar..
It would enable BDP1 users to use the DB with their favorite music on a special drive, without having to run the DB over all the library, for which the BDP1 is not powerful enough.

Would be wonderful,
Cheers,
Marius

Norton

« Reply #2209 on: 22 Aug 2017, 07:23 am »
I've noticed an odd phenomenon only with recent Beta builds (my BDP1 is on 11th August build).
My mostly classical collection is arranged in folders with each folder being a single CD or downloaded album.  Generally I select a complete folder to play rather than individual tracks.  What I've noticed lately is that when  playback reaches (I think)  the penultimate track, the BDP seemingly at random then appends  an extra track from another folder to the end  of the playlist.  Is this a deliberate feature I have somehow inadvertently enabled?  I did wonder if this was (from memory) the "Bryston  Scrabbler", but disabled that option and effect continues.  I should add that the original selected folder plays in its entirety and in the correct order before the extra track plays.

In the scale of human suffering not a big problem, but I'd rather it didn't do it.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2210 on: 30 Aug 2017, 10:33 am »
Hi Folks,

Chris is working on a new software release for Manic Moose which should be available shortly.

He has done a terrific job with it. It is integrated with Music Brains and Tidal and provides a lot of new features for our customers.

james

Marius

« Reply #2211 on: 30 Aug 2017, 01:04 pm »
Hi Chris,

While preparing for the next gen Firmware, maybe it is not too late to re-ask this:

There's 3 types of pages: Dashboard, Mediaplayer, and Settings.

On Mediaplayer, you show a Dashboard-button. On Dashboard you show the Mediaplayer-button. And then suddenly, on Settings-pages you show a Back-button. Media-player and Dashboard button obviously are direct and very clear. Back-button though is somewhat different. It isn't very clear in its destination. Also, if one would want to go to the Mediaplayer from the Settings page, one would need to go to the Dashboard first, and then click the Mediaplayer-button.

Why don't you just show Dashboard and Mediaplayer on all Settings-pages? I know it's no big deal, but if one seeks to cut out unnecessary clicks or buttons, this could be one of them: Take out 'Back' , and only show Dashboard or Mediaplayer.
Should be very easy, doesn't take any resources (BDP-1 importance), and doesn't cost any extra screen real estate, even on mobile devices.

One would only have to remember that for Settings, one needs to go to the Dashboard first, but that seems quite logical...

Cheers,
Marius
« Last Edit: 31 Aug 2017, 05:49 pm by Marius »

Marius

« Reply #2212 on: 30 Aug 2017, 01:14 pm »
Another issue I would love to see solved before leaving the BDP-1 support releases, is solving the image errors MM introduced several iterations ago. Clicking the jpg's enabled cycling the available images in the Mediaplayer window. This functionality suddenly was broken and never repaired. It shouldn't be because of the BDP1's available resources, because it worked wonderfully before.

Would you please have an extra look at that before you leave the BDP-1 and focus on developing BDP2 and 3's NN?

Cheers,
Marius

Krutsch

« Reply #2213 on: 30 Aug 2017, 03:26 pm »
FYI ... I cannot stop Manic Moose from merging similar genres, even though I uncheck the box and click on SAVE. It keeps reenabling the checkbox on its own.

S2.35 2017-08-25
Kernel: 3.16-0.bpo.2-486
COPYRIGHT BRYSTON LTD. 2010

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2214 on: 31 Aug 2017, 01:05 am »
FYI ... I cannot stop Manic Moose from merging similar genres, even though I uncheck the box and click on SAVE. It keeps reenabling the checkbox on its own.

S2.35 2017-08-25
Kernel: 3.16-0.bpo.2-486
COPYRIGHT BRYSTON LTD. 2010

Have you checked the read/write state, filesystem or free space for the user partition in disk information?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2215 on: 31 Aug 2017, 01:08 am »
Another issue I would love to see solved before leaving the BDP-1 support releases, is solving the image errors MM introduced several iterations ago. Clicking the jpg's enabled cycling the available images in the Mediaplayer window. This functionality suddenly was broken and never repaired. It shouldn't be because of the BDP1's available resources, because it worked wonderfully before.

Would you please have an extra look at that before you leave the BDP-1 and focus on developing BDP2 and 3's NN?

Cheers,
Marius

Hi Marius,

I did take a look at this today and didn't notice anything wrong with it, my ace of base test album cycled through its image correctly, but I'll keep an eye on it

Krutsch

« Reply #2216 on: 31 Aug 2017, 02:25 am »
Have you checked the read/write state, filesystem or free space for the user partition in disk information?

I assume you mean /dev/sda1? It's usage is at 23% and /mnt/img (which I believe is the user partition?) is rw for the bryston user.

This new behavior started with the latest BETA release, as described in my original post.

Thanks.

EDIT: For what it's worth, I was able to enable the "Music Scrapper" and the setting does persist. By the way, I think you mean "Scraper". Oh, and your accordion panel arrows in the new settings box are backwards: the arrow should show the action of clicked, not the current state.

gbaby

« Reply #2217 on: 31 Aug 2017, 03:46 pm »
My unit states the my newest software is 2.34 yet I see hear its 2.35. How can I get 2.35 as it did not show up on my BDP-2 as of last night? :o

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2218 on: 31 Aug 2017, 05:24 pm »
My unit states the my newest software is 2.34 yet I see hear its 2.35. How can I get 2.35 as it did not show up on my BDP-2 as of last night? :o

even (ie S2.34) valued software revisions are considered our "Stable" releases while odd (ie S2.35) valued software revisions are development (or testing/beta) builds and aren't prompted on unit, but still accessible (see link below).  We release testing builds (generally every friday or try to anyways) for feedback.  We also have miniupdates that get uploaded each time i change the /bin /www folders found within the firmware, these i don't recommend using.

http://support.bryston.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=248

Marius

« Reply #2219 on: 2 Sep 2017, 12:39 pm »
One asks, and Chris delivers. Just wow. Thanks! Works flawlessly, perfect. So cool.

Cheers,
Marius

Hi Chris,

While preparing for the next gen Firmware, maybe it is not too late to re-ask this:

There's 3 types of pages: Dashboard, Mediaplayer, and Settings.

On Mediaplayer, you show a Dashboard-button. On Dashboard you show the Mediaplayer-button. And then suddenly, on Settings-pages you show a Back-button. Media-player and Dashboard button obviously are direct and very clear. Back-button though is somewhat different. It isn't very clear in its destination. Also, if one would want to go to the Mediaplayer from the Settings page, one would need to go to the Dashboard first, and then click the Mediaplayer-button.

Why don't you just show Dashboard and Mediaplayer on all Settings-pages? I know it's no big deal, but if one seeks to cut out unnecessary clicks or buttons, this could be one of them: Take out 'Back' , and only show Dashboard or Mediaplayer.
Should be very easy, doesn't take any resources (BDP-1 importance), and doesn't cost any extra screen real estate, even on mobile devices.

One would only have to remember that for Settings, one needs to go to the Dashboard first, but that seems quite logical...

Cheers,
Marius