Cyrus source with PMC FB1 or OB1?

declancd7q

« on: 6 Jan 2005, 03:16 am »
Anybody matched Cyrus CDP & amp with PMC FB1 or OB1 speakers?

I'm told Cyrus' timing, imaging, detail matches well with PMC full bandwidth but slightly less forward presentation.

Also FB1 or OB1 speaker load is fairly uniform so is 75W enough in a midsize 5 x 7 m room?

Yogus

« Reply #1 on: 6 Jan 2005, 04:22 am »
I run a Cyrus 7 (60wx60w) integrated with PSX into PMC FB1. I'm assuming that you would be using a Cyrus 8 (70x70w)?

It is only a satisfactory match and during recent auditioning, was pretty much sounding the same as a cheap Rotel 1062 integrated.

I don't think a Cyrus integrated really has enough juice to fully drive FB1s and I don't think they would be satisfactory for OB1s. In particular, it doesn't scale all that well, dynamics being slightly limp and detail can be a bit smothered. Try biamping them with PSXd Smartpowers (discontinued I believe?) or Pre-X -> MonoX.

Overall, you are right the forward balance of the Cyrus matches that of the FB1/OB1 slightly laid-back balance.

In a small room, it may be different (mine is 11' x 20'), but the biggest difference is down to dynamics and transparency, which the Cyrus lacked in COMPARISON.

Note that this is in a head-to-head audition with a BP25/4BSST, so it is really no contest. I was actually happy with my Cyrus until I heard the Brystons  :(

GordonJ

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jan 2005, 04:52 pm »
FB1's and OB1's are popular recommendations on the Cyrus Unnofficial forum (www.cyrusunnofficial.co.uk) so a lot of people there clearly think they work well together.  I auditioned a pair of FB1's with a C8/Smartpower bi-amp combo a while ago and they sounded pretty good.  I already had Cyrus electronics and was trying out various speakers - ultimately didn't go for the PMC's but they definitely clicked with the Cyrus sound.  I agree you'll need more than just the integrated to get the best out of the PMC's though.  SmartPowers are still available in the UK and I don't think there's any plans to stop producing them.  I too was very happy with Cyrus until I heard Bryston...

Cheers

Gordon

declancd7q

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jan 2005, 12:54 am »
Thanks - FYI rumour is Cyrus will demo their new amp in Feb Bristol hifi show...expected to be similar to Flying Mole's digital amp. Smartpower is on it's way out...esp. since it's only a 60W unit.

But this is a Bryston forum.....

I certainly hope the BP20/25 facia can be upgraded since I expect to buy 4B-SST with BP20 next week.....The electronics are the same (??) as the BP26, so I'm happy to pocket the discount with outgoing pre-amp.....and later upgrade the PSU.

Funny - few people mention if there's a difference in sound or presentation b/w 3B, 4B or 14B.....I accept it will depend on many things incl. loudspeaker but in general, I've yet to hear if one is warmer than the other, or more detailed in the treble.....perhaps all of them are so damn balanced?

Matched with OB1 (hopefully) - all my X'mas at once!

Yogus

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jan 2005, 02:16 am »
Good luck... I'm off to the dealers tomorrow and hopefully will end up with either a B100SST or BP26/3BSST for my FB1s.

The MPS-2 power supply isn't cheap on its own so you may have to do some quick math to see if waiting for the BP26 is more worthwhile.

In my case, they're offering a good deal on the BP25, but adding an MPS-2 later would still cost more in total than an undiscounted BP26.

There is an OB1 review on the PMC or Bryston website that suggest that the 3BSST is more than sufficient, so you could save some $$$ there.

declancd7q

« Reply #5 on: 7 Jan 2005, 03:16 pm »
My understanding is the BP20/25 is identical to the BP26 in sound & performance.

If that's the case the MPS-2 is not unlike Cyrus' separate regulated power supply PSX-R and an upgrade option.

Then again maybe I've got it wrong and the BP26 will be sold 'together' with the MPS-2.

Interestingly there are reviews (hifiplus?) that suggest merely replacing the Cyrus powercord (e.g. Nordost) yielded significant gains for less price.

Interested to know if anybody have ever changed the power cord on their Bryston etc.

I've read/been told, haven't confirmed this for myself, that the 3B is more detailed in the treble wheres the 4B is slightly warmer in overall presentation.

It's about  <$1K Australian difference...and I figured the OB1 stiff cones (required to shift air in the TL) would appreciate the extra control of a bigger amp. Plus 4B appear to be the 'classic' bryston so easier resale down the road.

Then again..somehow I feel Class-D (digital) power amps may become the future...they seem to have allot of promise in terms of detail, power effiency and size. It's only a matter of time.....

I love the FB1+ ... it was unfortunate I heard the OB1 which had added scale, dynamics and 'gravitas' to the sound and made it harder to return to the FB1+.

BTW - I feel the MDF (?) cast foot/base for the floorstanders (GB1, FB1, OB1)....ought to be heavier for both performance and physical stability.

I have half a mind to re-cast it in a heavier material or somehow add further weight to the base.

GordonJ

« Reply #6 on: 7 Jan 2005, 03:37 pm »
Re Class D amps:  there's an interesting paper on the Bryston website, I think in the Newsletter section that gives a different view.  Looks like its not the way they see things going , at least for now.

Cheers

Gordon

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #7 on: 7 Jan 2005, 04:17 pm »
Hi -  2- points

1. The BP26 includes the new MPS-2 power supply - the older MPS-1 is no longer manufactured.

2. Digital amps (Class D switching amplifier is the right way to refer to these units)  - which we have been researching for a number of years now - have a long way to go to match the performance of a high quality linear amplifier.

james

rleeman

« Reply #8 on: 8 Jan 2005, 07:22 pm »
Hi

A few months back I heard the Cyrus 8 (non "VS" version) together with FB1s (non "+" version) during auditioning with a friend and we both found the Cyrus to be significantly underpowered. Adding the external Cyrus power supply to the combination gave a smoother sound but it was still underpowered, IMHO.

Bi-amping Cyrus 8s with the FB1s was a whole different story - the FB1s were properly powered and I found that the Cyrus matched the FB1s very well, sonically.

A single Cyrus 8 plus GB1 is also a nice match - listented to this combi during the same audition.

I have not heard Cyrus together with OB1s but I am quite sure that a single Cyrus 8 would not drive them adequately. I have a pair of OB1s with a 4BSST Bryston amp and suspect that the Bryston 3BSST is about as "low" as you would want to go to really appreciate the OB1s.

Regarding the comment about Rotel's 1062 - I have listened to this amp and both the Cyrus 6 and 8 amps during auditioning and there is no contest - Cyrus wins hands down. Still, I am not about to trade in my Bryston kit ;-)

Richard