Proposed sticky?

antt

Proposed sticky?
« on: 17 Dec 2004, 09:32 pm »
Hi,

I suggest a sticky be setup to cover ideas for future features/enhancements for the Bryston SP surround processor.  The idea is to provide a thread where people can discuss what they’d like to see without any expectation that Bryston will pay any attention to it.  Bryston could benefit from this because they would know what their customers are thinking and it could also give them further ideas for their products.  Bryston would not be expected to post any responses in the sticky (But could if they wanted to, of course).

I suggest the following rules:

1.  Only suggest features/enhancements that seem reasonable to YOU. (That is, the less you know, the more reasonable things get :wink:).

2.   Never post a question for Bryston.  BUT you can post the question in a separate thread, with a post in the sticky linking to it. That way the thread is never stalled waiting for a response from Bryston. A response Bryston may not be able to make for political or business reasons.

3. You can post a suggestion at any time, regardless of the current discussion ongoing in the thread.

4.  Do not endlessly repeat a suggestion, unless you have more information or can provide further reasons why it’s a good idea.

5. Feel free to refer to how features are employed in other Manufacturer’s products, especially if you have direct experience with them and can give information on pro’s and con’s.

Well, what do you think?  Is it a good idea? Could it work? Are the "rules" OK? (Is this the right way to suggest this?)

Adz523

Proposed sticky?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Dec 2004, 03:15 am »
We have that covered already in a previous thread which includes Bryston's own list of what it is considering for its next upgrade and we are all patiently waiting for Bryston to give us a hint or slightest sense of when that will be, if ever. :cry:

jethro

Proposed sticky?
« Reply #2 on: 19 Dec 2004, 10:22 pm »
Antt,

Thanks for your suggestion. It is a really good idea, however, in the past, SP-1.7 feature suggestion-type threads have grown un-manageable when they start to cover too many ideas. A sticky thread might grow too quickly and it would be hard for me or James to split. I understand your reasoning behind your suggestion (keeping suggeestions in one place) and it is a good idea, however, at this time I prefer not to create a sticky thread for SP-1.7 enhancements.  I haven't consulted James T on this matter yet so the issue is certainly not dead yet. I could also use input on this issue from the other circle members on this issue.

Perhaps people could use the text "SP-1.7 Enhancement" as part of their thread title or message text. This would allow James T to search all messages for that pattern to retrieve users suggestions ?

Adz523

Proposed sticky?
« Reply #3 on: 22 Dec 2004, 02:20 am »
Sorry Jethro, I really don't get this.   :?:
There is a thread already that's been going on for over 1 year called, "A COUPLE OF BRIEF QUESTIONS FOR SHANE PARFIT" in which several 1.7 owners/members have described the enhancements they are looking for and Shane has even responded giving us a first hand look into the minds of the Bryston engineering team and comments on what works, what doesn't and why.   Isn't that your sticky???? ------>  :idea:
I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone sometimes on this Board.

antt

Note: long post
« Reply #4 on: 8 Jan 2005, 10:33 pm »
My apologies to jethro and Adz523.  I've been very busy over the holidays and haven't been able to check the board.

We have that covered already in a previous thread which includes Bryston's own list of what it is considering for its next upgrade and we are all patiently waiting for Bryston to give us a hint or slightest sense of when that will be, if ever.

Exactly.  No one is posting further suggestions (at least on that thread) because the thread is stalled waiting for Bryston to respond.  My post was intended to address the problems which were showing up in that thread.  One of the most significant being, of course, waiting for a response which Bryston either has not or cannot make.  

A sticky thread might grow too quickly and it would be hard for me or James to split. I understand your reasoning behind your suggestion (keeping suggeestions in one place) and it is a good idea

Actually, My original idea was to encourage free-range discussion on features/enhancements without the limitations of reasonable or what Bryston is currently working on.  I've read in several threads on this forum that any ideas should be "reasonable".  This sounds good, but if your not an audio manufacturer, or an electrical designer/engineer, or don't have a PHD in sound reproduction (is there such a thing?), how do you know what "reasonable" is?  On top of this, everyone here is aware that Bryston personnel post in this forum regularly, so you always try to be careful in order to encourage Bryston to participate as much as possible.  This is the reason why I suggested a policy of it being reasonable to the poster, rather than trying to figure out what would be reasonable to Bryston (or to others). By suggesting any questions to Bryston be placed in a separate thread, referring back to the original, the chances of stalling the thread are reduced.

There is a thread already that's been going on for over 1 year called, "A COUPLE OF BRIEF QUESTIONS FOR SHANE PARFIT" in which several 1.7 owners/members have described the enhancements they are looking for and Shane has even responded giving us a first hand look into the minds of the Bryston engineering team and comments on what works, what doesn't and why. Isn't that your sticky????

Actually no.   The "A COUPLE OF BRIEF.." thread is really centred around responses from Bryston.  What ideas or suggestions are posted are "snuck in" to avoid hijacking the thread.  Also, please note that the thread hasn't really been running for one year, there is approximately a one year gap between two of the posts.

Perhaps people could use the text "SP-1.7 Enhancement" as part of their thread title or message text. This would allow James T to search all messages for that pattern to retrieve users suggestions ?  

I would think the subject title is best.  Perhaps an anacronym? That way everyone would know the direction of the post right away.  Maybe a separate instruction sticky just for "suggestions on posting ideas for features/enhancements" (SOPIFFE?) could be set up?  Logically, it should appear in the "Sticky: Welcome - Bryston/PMC Circle Guidelines - Updated !" sticky, but who would think these instructions actually existed unless they saw them at the top of the forum?

jethro

Proposed sticky?
« Reply #5 on: 8 Jan 2005, 11:56 pm »
antt,

It's a bit late, but perhaps we should make this a "Poll", based on your initial suggestion ? This way we can get some feedback without people having to post a response.

If you are in agreement, could you please try editting your original post in this thread and try changing it to a poll (if possible).

Please let me know if you decide to go the Poll route and if so, whether you are able to change your thread to a poll.

Thanks.

antt

Proposed sticky?
« Reply #6 on: 9 Jan 2005, 08:59 pm »
Do you think a poll would be of interest?  It seems reasonable to assume that forum members aren't really interested in this,  so I don't see a need for a poll.  The reason why I've posted now is I consider it my responsibility to answer replys to my own posts.   (Sorry about the delay)

jethro

Proposed sticky?
« Reply #7 on: 13 Jan 2005, 01:50 am »
antt,

A poll might encourage other members to respond  since only a click is required.