The Nomad Audio Circle....

PaulHilgeman

The Nomad Audio Circle....
« on: 14 Jan 2009, 07:14 pm »
Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to make a post that I am going to let my AC sponsorship die out, and if I remember correctly that means my circle will go to the archives as well.

I just wanted to thank everyone for their support.  Nomad Audio will obviously continue as-is, just without the AC side of things.

Things have slowed considerably, probably because of the economy and a personal slow-down on my part.  We have basically been building orders as they come in, but innovation has been on the slow side.  I have been developing a really good successor to the existing Niagara amplifier for .... 2 years now?!?!?  I have been listening to the prototype now for 4 months and it is great, I just need to get it to market.  The main reason for the slow-down on my part is because my wife and I had our first child on July 31st of this year.  The last month of the pregnancy was busy as were the first 5 months after he was born.  Things are starting to calm down now, but we are planning for a few more, and because of my desires to keep my life balanced, I have not been pushing the Nomad Audio side as hard as before.

I am currently building another pair of veneered RMD for a client, they loved John's cherry RMD's, but wanted the cherry to be a bit more exotic, so I got some nice figured cherry, and will do a walnut base to contrast against their tan carpeting.  They will also use the built-in bass amplifier.  As long as I can, I will put some pictures up in this circle if it still exists in a few weeks, or possibly in one of the other places.  We are also experimenting with some alternative finishes to keep the whole package an ultra low VOC product.  The glues used in the bamboo are very safe, I am using an ultra-low VOC glue for the veneer, and we are looking at a few products for finishing to keep this whole operation very clean and responsible.

On the speaker front, I have been testing and listening to one new thing, that could be pretty darn exciting and so far has been really impressive.  It is a little bit of a departure from what we have done so far.  It is something I worked on about 7 years ago and then kindof left aside for a while.  There is one manufacturer that I think has been doing this for some time, and another that just started.  I certainly didnt invent the idea, but it is a unique path to some really good performance when it is used correctly!!!  Again, someday, something will come of it, and you will see it from Nomad Audio.

Thanks for the time spent here Moderators etc. and especially JohnR.  To all of my existing customers, you will receive the same support as always.

All the best,
Paul Hilgeman

EProvenzano

Re: The Nomad Audio Circle....
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jan 2009, 08:09 pm »
Very best of luck Paul  :thumb:
Sorry to see you leaving AC.  I do agree with you rationale. Personally I've spent less and less time here in recent months.   As you, I'm finding my young family needs my attention and a "balanced" life is key.

I'd be happy to hear from you.  Please do keep my email address and shoot me any news regarding Nomad Audio.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #2 on: 14 Jan 2009, 08:28 pm »
Good luck Paul. 

Hate to see you go but with a little one, time becomes a lot more precious.  Best of luck for continued success.  You've got a winner on your hands with the Nomads.

Bryan

PaulHilgeman

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jan 2009, 08:39 pm »
Thanks guys.

Brian - Like always if you are in Chicago and want to hear my pair, let me know.

I may actually re-veneer them in this quilted cherry veneer.  It looks great.  I am usually hesitant of 'loud' veneers on any speaker than has a larger than 12"x12" flat section.  This, I think, strikes a good balance.

-Paul

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #4 on: 15 Jan 2009, 02:15 am »
I completely understand and applaud your decision...things will become a little easier once they are all out of the potty training years so maybe you can revisit us again. I hope the RAKK dac is serving/served you well...

Anand.

John151

« Reply #5 on: 15 Jan 2009, 05:24 am »
Sorry to hear that Nomad Audio is leaving AC.  Will there be a forum somewhere else? 

I am still loving my Ronins.  They look great, and sound fantastic.  They just do very well with all types of music, which was one of my objectives.  They are not only great for two channel, but they also excel with HT as well. 

Paul - Congrats on the family addition, and best of luck with Nomad Audio.  Please keep in touch (you have my email addr).

PaulHilgeman

« Reply #6 on: 15 Jan 2009, 01:23 pm »
No problem.

I can see about hosting a forum on my own site... but then again, 90% of the people who own a pair never post here, or elsewhere... not sure what thats all about, maybe they just love to listen :)

Then again, I dont post much myself...

Thanks for the compliments, I still have to get over there to hear your new amplifiers that you picked up a few months ago.

-Paul

John151

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jan 2009, 09:17 pm »
No problem.

Thanks for the compliments, I still have to get over there to hear your new amplifiers that you picked up a few months ago.

-Paul

You have an open invitation.     :thumb:

Also, I would love to do an A/Bwith your latest and greatest Niagra amp.  Would you believe I have never heard a Class-D amp?   :duh:

PaulHilgeman

« Reply #8 on: 15 Jan 2009, 09:33 pm »
Lots of people havent!!

Well, you may have in your car or someone elses car....

They sounded pretty bad until Phillips and some others got inventive and started to properly engineer them as AUDIO amplifiers in 2003-2004 or so.

-Paul