The BEHEMOTH!!!

PaulHilgeman

The BEHEMOTH!!!
« on: 29 Feb 2008, 03:09 pm »
19" Wide, 13" Deep 8" Tall, and about 60lbs.

A custom 7ch. amplifier, made to fit in just the right size space.  Runs cool, and can put out a TON of power.

It has 4 PSU's, one for each front channel, the L and R are bi-amplified, with 180W into 4 Ohms for the tweeter, and 400W into 4 ohms for the woofers.  The center is a full mono channel, and the rear 180W amplifiers are a stereo pair.

This is the first Niagara that I have done a trigger input on.  It puts the amplifiers to sleep, minimizing power consumption, but keeping the pre-amplification circuits warmed up.  This works off of a 5-21v trigger input on the rear of the chassis, and has an over-ride as well, where whenever there is AC being fed to the transformers, the amplifiers will be on.

The front power switch was done in amber to match the Proceed AVP that it is being paired with.

Enjoy!

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
Re: The BEHEMOTH!!!
« Reply #1 on: 29 Feb 2008, 03:13 pm »
WOW.

Price?  i overlooked the word "custom" sorry...

TomS

« Reply #2 on: 29 Feb 2008, 03:25 pm »
Paul,

Looks really nice.

Just curious - is the case Par-Metal and FPE front and back?

Tom

PaulHilgeman

« Reply #3 on: 29 Feb 2008, 03:42 pm »
Yes, Par Metal Custom all aluminum,  FPE for the front and rear.  It is what I used to use on the older Niagara amplifiers, except I got some good aluminum epoxy so that there are no screw holes in the faceplate. 

If you are interested in prices, just contact me.  HT amps can get very custom with number of channels, power levels and numbers of PSU's, but I assure you, the prices are not bad at all for what you are getting.  The Niagara 2ch is a hair under two thousand, and this only has one chassis, only twice as many transformers etc, so I'd call it a similar bargain to the Niagara 2ch. :).

-Paul

sabes

« Reply #4 on: 16 Mar 2008, 11:16 pm »
Yes, and it's mine, all mine!! Thanks so much, Paul; I can assure all that I will be posting my feedback on this baby soon. For all those considering such an endeavor, Paul has been fantastic to deal with in designing a custom solution for my setup - great listener, imaginative and flexible -- the results speak for themselves.   :thumb:

sabes

« Reply #5 on: 5 Jun 2008, 01:38 am »
Much delayed due to a variety of audio gremlins (NONE relating to the behemoth!). in fact, i'm not fully broken in yet, but getting there. NEVERTHELESS, this unit rocks! i have it set up with a proceed avp2+6 (thanks, zissou (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/printthread.php?t=707173&pp=60)), using both a fully-modded squeezebox2 (thanks, wayne at boldercables) and a sony dvp-ns9100es player as sources, and powering a 5.1 system of custom tyler acoustics linbrook signature lcr monitors/taylo rears/velodyne dd-12 (all coming through an exactpower ep15a). the behemoth/proceed replaced an arcam avr-300 (dubbed "the answer" in this thread: http://www.iar-80.com/page130.html).  well, first off, the new combo BLOWS AWAY "the answer" (which, by the way, was no slouch). but musicality is much improved, the amp provides complete control from top to very bottom, has plenty of slam, but also a delicate touch for acoustic music, etc. No coloration to speak of, yet not etched at all - wonderfully voiced.  In short, this is a real winner and a terrific dual performer (ht and music). Congrats, Paul, and thanks (more later)!!

PaulHilgeman

« Reply #6 on: 5 Jun 2008, 04:22 pm »
Thanks for the feedback sabes.  I look forward to more of it.

The AVP-2 is truly an awsome piece, it sounds so much better than most of the equipment available today.

Thanks again,
Paul