RMD in Bees Wing Claro Walnut

mcgsxr

Re: RMD in Bees Wing Claro Walnut
« Reply #20 on: 21 Apr 2008, 09:46 pm »
OOOOOOOHHHHH!  That is coming together really nicely!

Wish we were closer, I would love to bend an ear on the Nomads, and see that finish in person!

EProvenzano

« Reply #21 on: 24 May 2008, 05:42 pm »
FINALLY DONE

I took several pictures but my camera flash took a crap, so most of the pictures didn't turn out.  I'll take several more soon and post them in my gallery if anyone is interested in looking.

The project was tedious at times but great fun.  I'd recommend it to anyone!

Base design by yours truly.  Special thanks to Denny of Custom Concepts for fabricating and finishing the bases.
And finally thanks to Paul for his support during the project.

Most importantly...I forgot how DAMN good these speakers sound.  WOW, music is alive in my house again!

Cheers

FB101

« Reply #22 on: 25 May 2008, 05:30 pm »
Truly gorgeous looking. I'll never be brave enough to do that to my RPDs but the result is admirable.

PaulHilgeman

« Reply #23 on: 27 May 2008, 07:41 pm »
Totaly Awsome!!

I am starting on my own personal pair this summer.  Figured cherry with Wenge accents.

PaulHilgeman

« Reply #24 on: 27 May 2008, 07:48 pm »
Oh and how do the outboard crossovers sound?

Did I give you the recomendation on the KT88's for driving the top end?  I love to listen to mine that way.  Which amp is it?

-Paul

FB101

« Reply #25 on: 27 May 2008, 10:00 pm »
Interesting comment Paul,
I actually struggle with my McIntosh MA2275 (pair of KT88 per side) to get the right balance from my RPDs. It may just be an issue of not being able to bi/tri amp mine and struggling to find the right amp that can do it all from top to bottom; I find the upper midrange really forward with the McIntosh but after a lot of listening I would say it is more an issue of anything below being subdued than the upper mids being too strong.

For the past 2 months I have been using Genesis' new GR360 amplifier (based on heavily modified hypex modules) and the tonal balance is absolutely gorgeous. It's revealed the RPDs as being an even more impressive speaker than initially assessed.

But I think more than ever, that people will really need to at least bi-amp if not tri-amp the Ronins to get the best out of them - I have tried half a dozen amps with them before I got one that mated just right from the deepest bass to the finest treble. It's definately worth it but it is not an easy exercise.

Cheers.

JoshK

« Reply #26 on: 27 May 2008, 10:26 pm »
Very nice.  I especially love your base design..... I might have to steal that for my speaker project.

EProvenzano

« Reply #27 on: 28 May 2008, 12:07 am »
Totaly Awsome!!

I am starting on my own personal pair this summer.  Figured cherry with Wenge accents.

Thanks Paul.  That should be a great combo!
I was tempted to incorporate some maple accents into my pair but didn't want to bite off too much, so to speak.  I'm eager to see how you pull it all together.

EProvenzano

« Reply #28 on: 28 May 2008, 12:07 am »
Truly gorgeous looking. I'll never be brave enough to do that to my RPDs but the result is admirable.

Thanks  :thumb:

EProvenzano

« Reply #29 on: 28 May 2008, 12:13 am »
Oh and how do the outboard crossovers sound?

Did I give you the recomendation on the KT88's for driving the top end?  I love to listen to mine that way.  Which amp is it?

-Paul

The cross-overs are terrific!  I was also having a difficult time finding a perfect match for the Ronin's.  That's all history now.  Biamping these babies is where it's at!  I've run a few cheap solid state amps on the bottom, paired with my Jolida 801 (coincidentally KT88 output tubes) on top and instantly these speakers are transformed.  I'm sure they would sound even better with improved electronics for the woofer.  A few years ago I sold a Bryston 4B and I wish I would have kept it now.  I think it would have been a good match for the woofers.  Maybe I'll splurge on one of these new fandangled ice amps that are popping up everywhere....need to save more pennies  :D 

EProvenzano

« Reply #30 on: 28 May 2008, 12:16 am »
Very nice.  I especially love your base design..... I might have to steal that for my speaker project.

Cool!  I kinda morphed that design from a few others that I've seen here, so I wouldn't exactly call it original.  If you're interested in the vector drawing, let me know.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #31 on: 28 May 2008, 01:21 pm »
Beautiful, stupendous work! Wow!

Speaking of biamping, I know Kevin Haskins is running a sweet deal on the Face Audio amps which seems to be competitive with Emotiva amps (Class D?). I think he's asking $400 for a 250w/4 ohm stereo amplifier. B stock.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=54099.msg491847;topicseen#new

Best,

Anand.

PaulHilgeman

« Reply #32 on: 28 May 2008, 01:33 pm »
FB101:

You are right, and for larger rooms, it can be a bit of a stretch to get enough out of them when running the full range.  I have run various pairs in the past bi-amplified with KT88's on the top and they are beautiful.  Seeing as the Genesis amplifier uses the Hypex modules, you are probably getting excellent sound out of the RPDs run full range by them.  The Hypex parts, are good stock and implemented properly are absolutely outstanding. 

Eprovanzo:

Yes, Bi-amping most speakers is where it is at.  It makes it much easier to choose the right amplifier for the job.

-Paul