RMD in Bees Wing Claro Walnut

EProvenzano

RMD in Bees Wing Claro Walnut
« on: 29 Dec 2007, 08:58 pm »
Hi folks.  The subject title is somewhat ambitious and a tease.

I have begun the slow and tedious task of applying veneer to my RMD's.  This is my first project using raw veneer and since I'm learning as I go, I chose to begin with the cross-over boxes.

Paul completed the box construction and provided them to me ready to finish.

Here they are with 3 coats of oil/varnish/solvent brew.  I chose Watco but modified it slightly by reinforcing the brew with some added Pure tung oil and varnish, because I think Watco skimps on these ingredients.

More pictures to follow as I begin the speakers!

« Last Edit: 30 Dec 2007, 01:21 am by EProvenzano »

John151

Re: RMD in Bees Wing Claro Walnut
« Reply #1 on: 30 Dec 2007, 07:02 pm »
Looks like a great start!   :thumb:

Can't wait to see the final product! 

EProvenzano

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jan 2008, 08:00 pm »
I have a great appreciation for those craftsmen out there who make museum quality cabinetry.  I just got through 4 hours of delicate sanding to make my seams as invisible and free from glue residue as possible.  Whew what a job!  I hope I can keep my ambition up, so as not to short cut the speakers.  I tend to lose interest in long term projects after the thought process and learning curve is over.  I'd much rather delegate the rest of the job  :lol:.

So far so good, and I'm very pleased with the results.  The Bees Wing figure is stunning.  As usual, the photos don't do it justice.  I might just spray on a couple coats of satin laquer to hold the look, long term....but then give up the maintainability of oil...decisions, decisions.

Thanks.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: 1 Jan 2008, 10:48 pm by EProvenzano »

JoshK

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jan 2008, 08:11 pm »
I've worked with raw veneer once on a small project and I don't think I would again.  How are you applying it?  I used paper backed veneer on my Arvo Part project and it is a breeze in comparison. 

JoshK

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jan 2008, 08:13 pm »
I hope I can keep my ambition up, so as not to short cut the speakers.  I tend to lose interest in long term projects after the thought process and learning curve is over.  I'd much rather delegate the rest of the job  :lol:.

You sound like me.  I like the big picture problems.  Once I've solve the work on how to do it, I lack the ambition to do the last 5% or sometimes 20%.

EProvenzano

« Reply #5 on: 1 Jan 2008, 10:43 pm »
I've worked with raw veneer once on a small project and I don't think I would again.  How are you applying it?  I used paper backed veneer on my Arvo Part project and it is a breeze in comparison. 

Hey Josh, Happy New Year!

I'm using Heat Lock iron on glue.  I like it quite a bit actually.  No problems so far.  I also conditioned the veneer with Super-Soft.  There were several deep waves in the veneer so I didn’t want to risk having any problems.   The only challenge was obtaining very tight glue lines.  It's tricky since you can only apply pressure with the iron for so long, after which the veneer tends to creep.  The movement is very slight but enough to show a hair line at some joints.  In the end, I didn’t fight the problem too much.  The Heat Lock glue is available in various colors so it’s wise to match it to your wood, just in case you have imperfections.

Two factors swayed me to raw veneer.  First the grain pattern in raw wood is dramatic, relative to most 2 ply or paper-backed.   Second, the price is usually very good.  I picked-up this book matched set of 14 pieces 20” x 50” for $99.00.

I have used 2 ply veneers in the past and they were definitely easier to work with.  For a first time project I'd recommend it.

PaulHilgeman

« Reply #6 on: 2 Jan 2008, 05:01 pm »
Beautiful!!!!

EProvenzano

« Reply #7 on: 2 Jan 2008, 10:39 pm »
Beautiful!!!!

Thanks Paul, ...and their not at their best yet.  I think you'll be proud to have the Nomad name plate on them.
Speaking of which, I don't think I have a set of name plates, but I'll call you on that later.  :thumb:

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #8 on: 2 Jan 2008, 11:07 pm »
Hello EP,
 Nice looking crossover boxes there. I also like your choice of going with oils rather than urethane or similar. All you have to do is reapply more oil once in a while to maintain the appearance.
Can't wait to see the finished speakers

Another option for those not keen on raw veneers is the 3M adhesive backed. Excellent results can be obtained and it won't set you back and arm and a leg.
http://www.oakwoodveneer.com/prices/prices_cross_3m.html

EProvenzano

« Reply #9 on: 16 Feb 2008, 10:09 pm »
Just a quick update:
The speakers are coming along nicely, albeit slowly.
I should have the baffles completed this weekend and drivers wired and installed by next weekend.

Here are a few more veneer shots...

PaulHilgeman

« Reply #10 on: 17 Feb 2008, 04:42 am »
Looking absolutely incredible.

Though, what is going on in the first picture?  Is part of the baffle stained?

In a few weeks I'll have some pictures of a nice pair of RMD-A's in a quilted cherry, the second-ever pair of RPD-A (90dB sensative), with a matching center channel, and surround speakers. 

Also next week, a gigantic 7 Chanel Niagara, literally larger than your average amplifier!

Lots going on here at Nomad Audio, with lots of great photos in the coming weeks.

-Paul

EProvenzano

« Reply #11 on: 17 Feb 2008, 05:23 am »
Looking absolutely incredible.

Though, what is going on in the first picture?  Is part of the baffle stained?

Thanks Paul  :thumb:

The baffles don't have veneer on them just yet, and definitely no stain upcoming for this fine wood :nono:. That light stripe you see is where I've sanded the edge.  You might remember, I gave the raw bamboo a couple coats of oil in order to stabilize the cabinets while I found the time to veneer the speakers.  1 year later and the oil seems to have helped.  I didn't encounter any dried out joints or splits...erring on the side of caution, since Calgary's winter climate is extremely dry.

By the way, did you get my email?

PaulHilgeman

« Reply #12 on: 17 Feb 2008, 06:06 am »
Hmmmmm.... not seeing it now... when was it, maybe a re-send is in order.  Check your outbox :).

paul at nomad-audio.com

-Paul

EProvenzano

« Reply #13 on: 17 Feb 2008, 06:35 am »
Just resent.

EProvenzano

« Reply #14 on: 16 Mar 2008, 07:24 pm »
The home stretch...
Just a few more coats of oil and they're done!

mcgsxr

« Reply #15 on: 17 Mar 2008, 05:48 pm »
Love the direction you have chosen cosmetically, and I imagine once the clear goes on, the figuring will really pop.  Love the work!

EProvenzano

« Reply #16 on: 18 Mar 2008, 03:10 am »
Love the direction you have chosen cosmetically, and I imagine once the clear goes on, the figuring will really pop.  Love the work!

Thanks Mark,

You might notice the xo boxes and the speaker sides are slightly more amber.  These have had a few more coats of oil than the baffles.  The grain does pop a little more, but it's subtle compared to many figured or quilted varieties.  I'm actually quite liking this look.  Not too gaudy, but it definitely has a translucent effect when your viewing angle changes...aptly named "Bees Wing".
This finish feels great to the touch too!

I think I'll live with the oiled look for a while, and perhaps add some finishing wax for a bit more luster.

:thumb:

PaulHilgeman

« Reply #17 on: 19 Mar 2008, 02:02 am »
Stunning!!!

I am still contemplating on how to veneer a pair for myself.  Hopefully I can hang on to them this time.  The recent posting in this circle of RPD-A's was actually the second pair built.  The first I built for myself but sold them within a week of completion!!  So, I think I need to go with something really exotic to limit buyers because of my absurd taste!! 

Anyway, they look simply awesome, and with the work you put into that, I would have to imagine that you plan on keeping them for a long while.  And your efforts did not seem to taper off at the end as you had predicted because the final product is outstanding.

-Paul

EProvenzano

« Reply #18 on: 19 Apr 2008, 06:14 pm »
Nearing the end now.

After roughly 20 coats of oil, I think only a few more remain.  I can't seem to stop because with every added coat of oil, the grain pattern improves... Need to put an end to this soon though.  The wifey is insisting I start some other projects...like the new dining room chairs you see in the back ground  :duh: :lol:

EProvenzano

« Reply #19 on: 19 Apr 2008, 06:21 pm »

You were right on the money MarK!  The oiling process is taking me weeks longer that I expected but the results are way beyond my expectations.