Supravox 215-2000 EXC ,400-2000 EXC OB and Beyma TPL 150 OB 3 way

phuongthu

Hello
I was in Vietnam, my English is very bad. I love hear speaker Supravox. I just bought 2 pair of the Speaker 215-2000 EXC OB and a pair 400-2000 EXC SC. I'm want to build speakers OB 3 way as drawings include:
- Bass: Supravox 400-2000 EXC SC crossover 100Hz
- Mid: 215-2000 EXC OB, crossover 100Hz-5kHz
- Tweeter: Beyma TPL 150 (Dipole), crossover over 5kHz
So how to use Active xover or passive ?
Thanks for comments !

?

« Last Edit: 12 Dec 2012, 11:28 am by phuongthu »

JoshK

following.   This should be a very interesting project.   Good open baffle candidates.

Telstar

Even with a pretty big baffle like yours the 8" cant go well as low as 100hz, more realistically 200hz will be doable.
Down there you may need a second woofer or a separated (pair of) subs for the lowest bottom. I know the field coil woofer you bought is very flexible with its adjustable Qt, but it's alone facing a 18db/octave rolloff.

phuongthu

CNC cutting finished pair of speakers

studiotech

Phuong, those baffles are looking nice!  I think you will be fine to use the 215-2000 as low as 100Hz, but you might consider doing subtractive EQ on it rather than additive.  In other words, rather than try to bring up its low frequency response with maybe +10dB of EQ added, try cutting the higher frequencies to get a good balance.  Do you know how loud your average listening level is like?  Also, consider raising the xover point to 150-200Hz, should help if you have problems with it lower.

I've used the TPL150 in a studio monitor and it is a great driver for sure.  You may want experiment with the removal of the back cup.  You might want to read this thread about the TPL150 and consider what happens with the removal of the back cup AND the hard felt behind the diaphragm:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/planars-exotics/221279-tpl150-diy.html

Also, it's vertical dispersion above 10KHz is rather narrow, so you will want to make sure your ears are directly in line with the diaphragm.

Good quality DSP is the best solution, at least at first for experimenting.  IT is soooo easy to makes subtle 1dB changes, have a listen and then change again.  Passives for a speaker project of this caliber are out of place IMHO, at least not until you have optimized your sound with active.  Then you can try to match your response with passive, but it won't be easy to copy if you have lots of fine adjustments. 

Greg

phuongthu

Hello Studiotech, How many crossover points khz is beyma TPL 150  hear flat and good ?

studiotech

Hello Studiotech, How many crossover points khz is beyma TPL 150  hear flat and good ?

I have no experience using it dipole, so I'm really not sure what kind of results you will get.  Closed you can use it well down to 2KHz, but below there  it has some type of resonance with the hard felt and rear cup in place.  See that DIYaudio thread I posted earlier for someones results with and without rear cup.  At the studio, we ended up using a 48dB/oct slope at 1.8KHz, but were never 100% perfectly happy.  They are still far better than traditional large main monitors, but we are looking to optimize the design even further.  We're going to make a larger rear chamber and use some recycled cotton(Bonded Logic brand) for absorption inside of the chamber.

I will say that it is not super flat response like a good dome tweeter, so expect to use several bands of EQ to flatten it out.   

Greg

NiToNi

I've used the TPL150 in a studio monitor and it is a great driver for sure. It's vertical dispersion above 10KHz is rather narrow, so you will want to make sure your ears are directly in line with the diaphragm. At the studio, we ended up using a 48dB/oct slope at 1.8KHz, but were never 100% perfectly happy.  They are still far better than traditional large main monitors, but we are looking to optimize the design even further.

Hi Greg,

I know you ultimately prefer the RAAL ribbons, but have you ever compared the TPL-150 against a really good 1" compression driver? I am torn between using either the TPL-150H or the SEOS15/18 + good CD in a pair of DIY studio monitors. Directivity, passband and sensitivity are (relatively) comparable but difficult to rate SQ without first-hand experience...   :(

studiotech

Hi Greg,

I know you ultimately prefer the RAAL ribbons, but have you ever compared the TPL-150 against a really good 1" compression driver? I am torn between using either the TPL-150H or the SEOS15/18 + good CD in a pair of DIY studio monitors. Directivity, passband and sensitivity are (relatively) comparable but difficult to rate SQ without first-hand experience...   :(

When we were experimenting with drivers for the studio monitors, we tried the Fountek NeoPro5i(yeah, I know another ribbon) and a Beyma CP380/m.  The Beyma TPL-150 won hands down.  We are using the non horn version because the horn was not available at the time.  BUT it has it's limits too, as I mentioned above.  So it really depends how low you are looking to cross it.  Without modifications to the rear chamber, 1.8-2KHZ is really lowest you should go even on the horn.  Do something about the rear chamber and maybe 1KHz is possible.

Here's the Beyma CP380:

http://www.usspeaker.com/beyma%20CP380M-1.htm

Greg

Ric Schultz

The sound of a compression driver is really dependent on the horn/waveguide.  From what little I know the Beyma 385 is better than the 380.  My friend has the 385 in a Geddes waveguide with the Geddes foam in the waveguide.  He crosses over at 850hz using my modified Behringer at 48db per octave powered by a 3 watt Yamamoto amp.  The sound is outrageous.  You can see the speaker in my gallery.  He is going to experiment with 24db to see if it sounds better (usually less is better).  The detail is improved much by the use of Ground Enhancers (6 inches of litz wire folded back on itself...99 strands of 36 gauge...ie, make your own!).  I am sure the EOS 18 would be a great waveguide.....and adding some foam or felt inside the waveguide will probably help.  I have not heard the Beyma TPL 150 but everyone seems to think it is great too.  If you use a horn/waveguide combo then usually you have to boost the highs.....therefore more parts in the xover if you are going passive.  So, maybe less xover parts for the TPL......but you probably have to cross it higher......it is nice to have the speed down as low in frequency as possible.  This is what is nice about the Neo 10.....you get planar sound down to 300hz.  However, I am sure the Supravox has excellent sound in the midrange.....so many possibilities......so many good drivers these days.

nicoch

all this speakers are great !
download xl baffle put the data of 215  and size of the baffle and you will know the lower xo point   
http://fullrangedriver.com/singledriver/download/Xlbaffle.xls

ciao manu 

« Last Edit: 7 Jan 2013, 10:58 am by nicoch »

phuongthu

all this speakers are great !
download xl baffle put the data of 215  and size of the baffle and you will know the lower xo point   
http://fullrangedriver.com/singledriver/download/Xlbaffle.xls

ciao manu
thank

studiotech

Wow...nice!  They look very impressive.  You work quick.  Have you hooked them up yet?

At some point, try taking the rear chamber off of the Beyma.

Greg

phuongthu

Wow...nice!  They look very impressive.  You work quick.  Have you hooked them up yet?

At some point, try taking the rear chamber off of the Beyma.

Greg

I opened the back driver Beyma dipole, and the Passive crossovers cut 5 kh for beyma
I use crossover Pre Tact 2.2XP 2 way. below 100Hz for Tact S2150X Amplifier, over the 100Hz used amplifiers Tact S2150X or Tube Cary 300B or Tube DIY 4D32
« Last Edit: 8 Jul 2013, 04:06 am by phuongthu »

phuongthu

My system 3 way , active Xover 100hz and 5khz .
Pre Tact 2.2XP , 3 tact S2150X and power tube

TrungT

Anh Phuong.
Very nice setup.  :thumb:

phuongthu

Dipole horn for beyma tpl 150

mgalusha

Dipole horn for beyma tpl 150

That looks very interesting, looking forward to your thoughts on how it works.

phuongthu

complete Dipole horn for beyma tpl 150

JohnR

Nice work.