ModWright Integrated

bummrush

Re: ModWright Integrated
« Reply #40 on: 29 May 2011, 08:44 pm »
And back to power issue. You just can't have enough of it

modwright

« Reply #41 on: 2 Jun 2011, 03:20 am »
Hi guys, the integrated project is proceeding.  I have hesitated to say much more about it until I was closer to completion.  Obviously it has taken longer than expected.

I will say this:

It will be 175W+ per channel.
It will be pure SS, not a hybrid.
It will have dual digital displays.
It will be the same size and styling as the KWA 100SE and LS 100.

Part of the delay has been because the scope of the design has changed several times.  I now have the scope finalized, features determined, design topology complete and we are moving towards completion of design and testing.

Thanks,

Dan

roadkingraw

« Reply #42 on: 2 Jun 2011, 08:13 pm »
Dan is DA MAN!

jwes

« Reply #43 on: 3 Jun 2011, 02:19 am »
Hi guys, the integrated project is proceeding.  I have hesitated to say much more about it until I was closer to completion.  Obviously it has taken longer than expected.

I will say this:

It will be 175W+ per channel.
It will be pure SS, not a hybrid.
It will have dual digital displays.
It will be the same size and styling as the KWA 100SE and LS 100.

Part of the delay has been because the scope of the design has changed several times.  I now have the scope finalized, features determined, design topology complete and we are moving towards completion of design and testing.

Thanks,

Dan

Thanks Dan.  Will the higher power/upgraded version necessarily be 2x price?  Was quite excited by the 100/150SE combo target that was one of the design scopes, since reduced for the market/economy.  I actually don't care if it stay SS or is Hybrid, but just looking for that one special piece to be fully confident to eliminate boxes (and comfortably drive my 4 Ohm, 87db speakers)...

Jim

modwright

« Reply #44 on: 4 Jun 2011, 07:24 am »
Goal for price is < $5K for SS  integrated.  Optional DAC and Phono upgrades extra.

Thanks!

Dan

jwes

« Reply #45 on: 5 Jun 2011, 02:30 pm »
Goal for price is < $5K for SS  integrated.  Optional DAC and Phono upgrades extra.

Thanks!

Dan

Looks like the show is going well - congratulations!  Is there going to be an upgraded version of the integrated?

johzel

« Reply #46 on: 5 Jun 2011, 03:29 pm »
Definitely a piece I'd be interested in!!   :thumb:  HT Bypass??  Did I miss that elsewhere in the thread??

modwright

« Reply #47 on: 11 Jun 2011, 12:15 am »
HT bypass yes.  It will be a gret unit!

Thanks,

Dan

modwright

« Reply #48 on: 29 Jul 2011, 05:03 pm »
Yes, it does have a preamp output, which would allow for precisely this!

Thanks,

Dan

modwright

KWI Prelim. photo as promised!
« Reply #49 on: 29 Jul 2011, 05:14 pm »
Here is a photo of what the design will look like.  There may be minor cosmetic changes, based on feedback from distributors and dealers that I meet while in Asia, but here is a pre-view of what we have in prototype form!

PLEASE NOTE:  Production is not planned for late Oct., as we have to order metalwork after overall design details are finalized, but I DO have a working prototype that is beautiful, powerful and we are very excited!

Thanks,

Dan W.

Phil A

« Reply #50 on: 29 Jul 2011, 05:21 pm »
Dan - very nice looking piece!

AB

« Reply #51 on: 29 Jul 2011, 07:12 pm »
I like the bevel on the knobs and on the recesses of the push buttons. Have you considered carrying that bevel into the LED windows? Just an idea.

srb

« Reply #52 on: 29 Jul 2011, 07:22 pm »
I like the bevel on the knobs and on the recesses of the push buttons. Have you considered carrying that bevel into the LED windows? Just an idea.

I see a smaller but tasteful bevel on the display windows viewing the photo on my computer screen.

Steve

Cacophonix

« Reply #53 on: 29 Jul 2011, 07:32 pm »
Very nice.
Probably one of the classiest cases around.

srb

« Reply #54 on: 29 Jul 2011, 07:36 pm »
Dan,

Is Input Selection via relays at the inputs or are they actually routed through the selector switch?

Steve

jwes

« Reply #55 on: 29 Jul 2011, 07:45 pm »
Can't wait to learn more.  I'm hoping it allows me to sell 3 boxes and purchase this one!  Will depend on power, DAC, etc. 

Very nice looking!

Jim

AB

« Reply #56 on: 29 Jul 2011, 08:02 pm »

I see a smaller but tasteful bevel on the display windows viewing the photo on my computer screen.

Steve

I see that bevel too. I was imagining a bit more.

modwright

« Reply #57 on: 30 Jul 2011, 04:13 am »
I have considered matching the bevel (chamfer) on the knobs with the display window openings.

The inputs are selected via relay and both knobs are rotary encoders, i.e. electronically controlled via Programmable IC (PIC), not mechanical selector or volume pot.  Volume control is via new digitally controlled analog volume control that allows different gain and attenuation for different inputs.

The unit will have gain for CD, L1, L2 and custom gain for phono 1, phono 2 (MM/MC) and DAC 1, DAC 2 - likely SPDIF and USB.

Only two buttons on front are power and HT Bypass.

Uses same remote as LS 100.  Includes remote triggers and preamp-output as well as theater bypass of course.

Power is 200W into 8 ohms and 400W into 4 ohms.

First working unit is 'idling' on my bench as I write this as I am optimizing the bias setting.  There are a few things to finalize, but we DO have a working first article and this is exciting.

Thank you all for complements on the chassis design.  A lot of thought went into it from a form/function aspect.  I also want it to be family friendly as an integrated is ideal for the audiophile with dedicated system OR family music system.  It is pure SS and the controls are simple and intuitive.

Take care, getting ready to leave for HK on Monday Aug. 1st.

Dan Wright

jriggy

« Reply #58 on: 30 Jul 2011, 11:00 pm »
Nice!

I love the "family Friendly" approach. If and when our attic project gets going and the big system goes upstairs, this would be perfect for my "wife friendly" living room system... with a pair of Carbon 7's, would be just about right!
I too look forward to this unit.

Dan, you mentioned production is not scheduled for late Oct. Did you mean is now scheduled for then or another time?

modwright

« Reply #59 on: 1 Aug 2011, 01:13 pm »
Hi and thanks, this IS a great unit and will serve the need for an integrated with excellent sound AND power well!

It will be shipping in late Oct., because it takes that long to have the final production run of metalwork and other things done.  In the time while that is being finalized, we will also be further testing and listening to our initial prototype(s) and finalizing programming (display, options, etc.) and other areas if operation and overall sound.

It takes TIME to design and test a product AND time for production of the materials to make it happen.

Thanks,

Dan