New Guy in Georgia

ngamountains

New Guy in Georgia
« on: 22 Jan 2018, 03:27 am »
Hi, all. New member here in north Georgia, USA (metro Atlanta). I’ve churned through a lot of equipment over the last 20 or so years and thinking about some changes now. Current system is Emotiva electronics (SA-250 amp, DC-1 DAC and being used as a preamp, ERC-3 CD player) driving Thiel CS6 speakers. Also recently bought used a couple other pairs of speakers to try out against the Thiels; Usher CP-6381s and Odyssey Kismet Reference with the Scanspeak Revelator mid/woofers and beryllium tweeters. Thinking about an amp change and looking at possibly Bryston or maybe having Klaus at Odyssey make a couple monos up for me. Musical preferences are rock/alternative/vocal/blues; not too much into jazz or classical. Have a room in my new house dedicated to listening that I need to get working on treating for improved sound; size is roughly 19’ x 20’6” with 12’ flat ceiling. Looking forward to learning here and maybe meeting some other folks close by who enjoy good music!

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: New Guy in Georgia
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jan 2018, 03:37 am »
Welcome aboard Ngamountains :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jan 2018, 03:38 am »
Welcome to AC!

ngamountains

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jan 2018, 03:40 am »
Thanks, guys!  That didn’t take long. Seems like some good folks here from lurking and reading for a while before joining.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 22 Jan 2018, 12:40 pm »
Welcome!

Had an Emotiva DC-1 for several months but moved onto a DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core to trade headphone output for bass DSP and a less digital/more musical sound.

Congrats on the dedicated room (especially the 12 foot ceilings), hopefully it's acoustically isolated from the outside.  Squarish rooms work better for A/V (mine follows the Cardas Golden Cuboid ratios to great effect).  Have found that with proper proportions treatments (bandaids) are hardly needed.  I suggest adding 2 foot deep built-in cabinets to reduce the 19 foot dimension to an effective 17 feet to avoid having a squarish space that inevitably leads to reinforcement of echos (which in your case would be close to 55 Hz and multiples thereof).

JakeJ

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jan 2018, 12:54 pm »
Hello and welcome to AC, ngamountains.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #6 on: 22 Jan 2018, 01:45 pm »
We like the new guys to sweat it out for a day or so before we type our welcome posts.  :icon_twisted: [We tend to be sneaky li'l devils.]

Welcome to AC.

Michael

rockadanny

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jan 2018, 02:46 pm »
From a fellow Georgianite (Georgonean? Georgiagander? Georgmatologist?) ... Welcome!  :thumb:
After spending couple of decades in Canton I know how beautiful it is up in the N. Georgia Mountains.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #8 on: 23 Jan 2018, 12:46 am »
Greetings & Welcome to AC ngamountains   :thumb:

Jazzman53

• Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
    • Jazzman's Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
« Reply #9 on: 23 Jan 2018, 01:36 am »
Welcome from another GA member, down in the low country of Savannah

ngamountains

« Reply #10 on: 23 Jan 2018, 02:27 am »
Thanks again, everyone.  Interesting to hear from a couple fellow Georgians; seems hard to find anyone in my neck of the woods interested in this topic.

ngamountains

« Reply #11 on: 23 Jan 2018, 02:30 am »
Welcome!

Had an Emotiva DC-1 for several months but moved onto a DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core to trade headphone output for bass DSP and a less digital/more musical sound.

Congrats on the dedicated room (especially the 12 foot ceilings), hopefully it's acoustically isolated from the outside.  Squarish rooms work better for A/V (mine follows the Cardas Golden Cuboid ratios to great effect).  Have found that with proper proportions treatments (bandaids) are hardly needed.  I suggest adding 2 foot deep built-in cabinets to reduce the 19 foot dimension to an effective 17 feet to avoid having a squarish space that inevitably leads to reinforcement of echos (which in your case would be close to 55 Hz and multiples thereof).

Hi, JLM.  Yes, not sure the equipment I currently have is ideal by any stretch, but it's still enjoyable to listen to.

Regarding the room, yes I wish it wasn't so square but it's the hand I was dealt when buying this pre-owned home.  I intend to do some calculations to look into possible dimensional modifications, but I suspect your recommendation is based on having already done so.  More to come on this.  It is not isolated from the outside, but fortunately I live amidst a forest preserve without another home for several hundred yards, so things could be worse.  Outside noise is usually pretty minimal.

johnzm

« Reply #12 on: 23 Jan 2018, 03:03 am »
Hello,

there used to be a few of us that knew each other, its grown apart over the years...

I am north of Atlanta, with odyssey monoblocks and AV123 strata mini's.  I know of a couple other audio guys around this way as well.
i would be interested in hearing your thoughts on the speakers you've listed, ive had the minis and the monoblocks nearly 10 years now.

ngamountains

« Reply #13 on: 23 Jan 2018, 06:42 pm »
Hello,

there used to be a few of us that knew each other, its grown apart over the years...

I am north of Atlanta, with odyssey monoblocks and AV123 strata mini's.  I know of a couple other audio guys around this way as well.
i would be interested in hearing your thoughts on the speakers you've listed, ive had the minis and the monoblocks nearly 10 years now.

Hi, johnzm.  I'm in Cumming.  I'd send you a PM or ask you to send me one, but I think I am still on probation and unable to use this function.  I'd be happy to share my thoughts on my different speakers with you, and would be interested in yours regarding the Odysseys.  If you're close enough a visit would certainly be doable, if you want first-hand experience.  Keep in touch and have a great day!

BillB

« Reply #14 on: 23 Jan 2018, 09:55 pm »
I'm one of those grown apart guys.  :green:

My system is pretty diverse.
Yamaha RX-V667 doing all the switching duties
Sansui 8080db running my Dayton Epique CBT 24
Technics SL-Q2 turntable with Ortofon Bronze cart with Manley Chinook preamp
PC with Pro-Ject Pre Box SL2 for DAC
Sony MD also running through DAC
Onix CD-5 also running through DAC
Nakamichi LX-5 tape deck
pair of Dayton Sub-1200s

simon wagstaff

« Reply #15 on: 27 Jan 2018, 11:58 pm »
BillB, your system looks mighty fine.

Similar to mine, at least the 2.2 Parts express special.
Denon universal player
Marantz Av7702 mk II
Odyssey Kismet in Khartago case
2 VMPS smaller subwoofers
Epique CBT24 speakers (with room eq)
Mac mini via optical cable

I'm really happy with CBT24s. I sold a pair of Raidho C1.2s, and like them better than my Gallo Ref 3.5.

Rock on!