Dead Sonore Power Supply

Syrah

Dead Sonore Power Supply
« on: 3 Sep 2015, 02:12 pm »
So, having spent about 40 hours trying to figure out why my CAPS Zuma keeps crashing and rebooting (with really helpful and appreciated assistance from Andrew at Small Green Computer, highly recommended) I determined the culprit to be my (extremely expensive) Sonore power supply.

Sonore have offered to repair it, at a “typical cost” of $280 since it’s over one year old and out of warranty.  Given that a new HD Plex linear supply is $385, I’m not all that inclined to spend $280 to fix my old one.  It’s the prior version of the Sonore 12v supply.  Does anyone know what the problem could be and whether I could fix it myself?

It still powers up and reads 12v on my meter.  My guess is that it must be fluctuating to overvoltage which makes the computer reboot.  I don’t think the power goes off, because when I turn off and on the power supply, the computer does not automatically come back on so my guess is that it's triggering overvoltage protection on the computer.  Maybe it’s some kind of DC voltage regulator that blew?

My skill level is novice, I can solder, replace caps etc.  But not much beyond that.

Thanks.