Why some files are "missing" in Minimserver?

barrows

• Industry Participant
Why some files are "missing" in Minimserver?
« on: 7 Jul 2015, 04:18 pm »
Maddening.  I have been moving some music files to a NAS running minimserver/bubble.  Most files are fine, but there are two albums (could be more) with definite issues.  I can see the files are on the NAS when I look at the folder structure via a computer on the network, but they do not appear on the either Linn Kazoo or PlugPlayer apps.

Specifically: Led Zeppelin's "Phsical Graffiti" (24/96 download, aiff, HDTracks) does not show up at all.
And Norah Jones' "Come Away With Me" (24/192 download, aiff, HDTracks) only shows tracks 10-14, the rest are "missing."

All of these files work fine in Itunes, Jriver, on my laptop or vortexbox (MPD) on my custom server, they only go "missing" when trying to find them via a control app for the NAS/minimserver.

Any ideas what is up here?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Why some files are "missing" in Minimserver?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jul 2015, 06:11 pm »
Yes, common issue.  Tagging issue.  Yate if you use Mac or Mp3Tag if you are Windows.  Also be sure to check the Minimserver log as it should be clear without any errors when all albums are fixed and scanned..

mav52

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jul 2015, 06:27 pm »
Not sure if this helps but your not alone. http://forum.minimserver.com/showthread.php?tid=1336

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 7 Jul 2015, 07:03 pm »
Yes, common issue.  Tagging issue.  Yate if you use Mac or Mp3Tag if you are Windows.  Also be sure to check the Minimserver log as it should be clear without any errors when all albums are fixed and scanned..

If it is a tagging issue, then it is an issue with the files as is from HDTracks.  Of course, it is interesting that the files work perfectly via Jriver, iTunes, and MPD/Mpad on Linux, only minimserver has a problem?  So far it may be only the named tracks, so i coudl manually re-tag in Jriver and see if that helps...

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 7 Jul 2015, 07:07 pm »
If it is a tagging issue, then it is an issue with the files as is from HDTracks.  Of course, it is interesting that the files work perfectly via Jriver, iTunes, and MPD/Mpad on Linux, only minimserver has a problem?  So far it may be only the named tracks, so i coudl manually re-tag in Jriver and see if that helps...
Yes, nothing new.  Good Luck using JRiver though....it wouldn't work for me and others so that's why I've recommended the above programs. 

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #5 on: 7 Jul 2015, 07:21 pm »
Barrows,
Yes us Minimserver users have spent countless hours cleaning up our logs (errors, missing files, nulls in tags, etc).  Simon (Minim developer) took a very technical approach to metadata, and when it finds things like nulls and other small anomalies it reacts much more violently than other library management systems.   In just about every case, he was right, but the tolerance is too tight IMHO.  Other players let some of these inconsistencies go; Minimserver does not (but at least it documents it in the log).

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 7 Jul 2015, 07:23 pm »
Yes, nothing new.  Good Luck using JRiver though....it wouldn't work for me and others so that's why I've recommended the above programs.

Well, that is really weird.  I have used jRiver to manually tag a lot of files, and they are all working in minimserver so far...  Thanks Jason, I'll see what happens.  Busy building a DAC now though.

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 7 Jul 2015, 10:48 pm »
Update:

I now think this problem may not have anything to do with tags?
I think Simon may have also made changes to minimserver making it more forgiving of "problems" as checking the log shows lots of "warnings" but those files appear to play fine.

The files which exhibit "errors" and do not play all have the same message: "unexpected end of file at offset (xxxxxxx)" can anyone explain what this error message means?  Note that all these files play fine on other players.

I found 5 albums with this problem, 2 are HDtracks downloads, 1 is a download direct from Smashing Pumpkins (Oceania 24/96) and two are redbook CD rips by me.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #8 on: 8 Jul 2015, 12:07 am »
Barrows, we documented this over on CA a while ago.  Some early MC18 and MC19 versions of JRIver, for example, wrote incorrect block sizes at the end of a wav or aiff file.  This causes an error in Minimserver (and why I said tolerances were too tight in Minimserver).

Here is a real world example:
http://forum.minimserver.com/showthread.php?tid=1685&pid=10394#pid10394

I ended up converting a set of wav files (probably 2000) that I figured were created during JRIver's problem versions.  I simply reran them with today's JRiver and reconverted them.  Here are some of my issues that were resolved with Simon's help.  Some were errors, some were warnings.

http://forum.minimserver.com/showthread.php?tid=2169

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 8 Jul 2015, 01:52 am »
Thanks Ted.  A simple aiff-aiff transcoding in XLD solved my issues.
I spend so much time working on the hardware side of things that I get a bit left behind on software and file management!