Subwoofers 101

RoadTripper

Subwoofers 101
« on: 8 Dec 2016, 08:33 pm »
Can't think of a different Circle to raise these questions so here goes.

I've never used a subwoofer in all my born days. But I'm am toying with the idea. My question is how they are typically wired into one's system.  And since most subs these days are powered, that may make for more variables as far as different ways of integrating them goes.

The more I reflect on the issue, the more I come up with questions.

Please help me out.

Wind Chaser

Re: Subwoofers 101
« Reply #1 on: 8 Dec 2016, 08:41 pm »
In most cases you have the choice between low level and high level inputs. Most people opt for high level; that is from your amplifiers speaker output to the subs high level inputs.
« Last Edit: 9 Dec 2016, 05:34 pm by Wind Chaser »

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 8 Dec 2016, 08:47 pm »
My preamp has two outputs to amplifiers.  One goes to my power amp, the other to my subwoofer amp. 

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!
« Reply #3 on: 8 Dec 2016, 11:46 pm »
Can't think of a different Circle to raise these questions so here goes.

I've never used a subwoofer in all my born days. But I'm am toying with the idea. My question is how they are typically wired into one's system.  And since most subs these days are powered, that may make for more variables as far as different ways of integrating them goes.

The more I reflect on the issue, the more I come up with questions.

Please help me out.
Hooking up a subwoofer into a home theater system can be different then hooking one up in a 2-ch system. What are your plans if you were to get a sub? There are a lot of other things to think about before purchasing a sub...

RoadTripper

« Reply #4 on: 9 Dec 2016, 05:05 am »
I've got a two channel system. Two of them, actually. The second system is a pair of active Dynaudios. The main system is standard passive being fed by a two channel amp.

I can't see how I can hook up a sub in either of them.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #5 on: 9 Dec 2016, 05:39 am »
What subwwofer(s) do you have in mind? Any competent sub manufacturer will walk you through the process, based on your own gear.

There are as many sub configurations as you can make. Talk to the folks you're interested in. Go with who you trust.  :thumb:

rodge827

« Reply #6 on: 9 Dec 2016, 05:44 am »
You can run a second set of speaker cables from your amp or from the back of your speakers to the High Level (speaker) inputs on the sub amp. For your active speakers it depends on the connection. If your Dynaudio's are RCA than you could split the signal from your preamp and run one to the speaker amp and one to the sub amp.

Its not that difficult and just depends on connectivity and type of sub you go with.

Jerry hit it on the head while i was typing this.  :thumb:

Chris

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #7 on: 9 Dec 2016, 05:47 am »
 :thumb:

Nick77

« Reply #8 on: 9 Dec 2016, 12:11 pm »
If your preamp doesnt have 2 outputs then some guys use this type of quality splitter to get a low level signal to the sub.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vampire-Wire-Y-Y-Adapters-1-RCA-male-to-2-RCA-female-all-metal-gold-plated-/401061739567?hash=item5d61247c2f:g:OaUAAOSwzhVWp7~y

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #9 on: 9 Dec 2016, 01:18 pm »
Generally speaking there are two ways to add a powered subwoofer (sub).  Keep in mind that most but not all subs have low voltage (RCA/XLR) and high voltage (speaker binding posts) connections, so you'll have to double check the sub you pick has the connections you want/need.

First is to connect the sub to preamp (low voltage) outputs via interconnects (splitters as Nick77 described may be needed if your preamp only has one pair of left/right outputs).  This will send the full frequency range to both your main speakers (via your power amp) and directly to the sub.  Nearly all powered subs have a low pass filter that cuts out higher frequencies from going to the sub.  This solution works for your passive or active speakers (but in the case of your Dynaudios, you'd probably need RCA/XLR adapters).

Second is to connect the sub to power amp outputs and connect the main passive speakers to the sub outputs via speaker cable.  In this mode both the sub and the mains will pick up the sound of the power amp.  Again you can use the powered subs low pass filter.  Some subs have low voltage (RCA or XLR) outputs that you can use to feed active speakers like your Dynaudios.

For your active Dynaudio speakers the ideal solution would be to buy a matching Dynaudio subwoofer that has XLR inputs and outputs for left and right channels as well as both low and high pass filters (that match the filters on your Dynaudio speakers).

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #10 on: 9 Dec 2016, 02:01 pm »
Here's a thread with some good info, answered some of my questions.....http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=137202.msg1503412#msg1503412 ,  might help some.

RoadTripper

« Reply #11 on: 9 Dec 2016, 05:15 pm »
For your active Dynaudio speakers the ideal solution would be to buy a matching Dynaudio subwoofer that has XLR inputs and outputs for left and right channels as well as both low and high pass filters (that match the filters on your Dynaudio speakers).

Getting the Dynaudio to work with subs is high on my wish list. But I don't see how the Dynaudio Bookshelf speakers can feed any sub, Dynaudio or otherwise, with a signal. I don't see an output jack of any kind on the Dynaudios. I could be very dense, though.

mfsoa

« Reply #12 on: 9 Dec 2016, 06:33 pm »
Beware of making the embarrassing, stupid mistake I made when adding a sub -

I figured heck I have a y-splitter and a long-ass RCA - perfect for the sub. My preamp has two pr of RCA outs, so I hook my mono amps to one set and the splitter to the other set to run to the sub, (the splitter combines the two channels into the one RCA headed to the sub.

Lo and behold the system sounds bland and I ignore it. I gradually almost stop listening to the system and dream about new speakers 'cause these guys just simply aren't cutting it.

Only when listening to a disc I am very familiar with did it hit me - the damn system is playing in mono!  The sub splitter actually summed the OTHER set of RCA outs to mono as well!

Running two separate RCA cables to the sub w/out the splitter, everything works great and I listen to music again!

A rookie mistake from someone who's been at this for 40 years  :roll:

Maybe someone can benefit from my silliness...

-Mike

srb

« Reply #13 on: 9 Dec 2016, 06:37 pm »
But I don't see how the Dynaudio Bookshelf speakers can feed any sub, Dynaudio or otherwise, with a signal. I don't see an output jack of any kind on the Dynaudios. I could be very dense, though.

I think you will need to use a sub that has line-level inputs and main/sat outputs.  You connect your source or preamp directly to the subwoofer inputs, then feed your BM5s from the subwoofer outputs.

Here is a Dynaudio BM9S II sub with XLR in and out.  There is a high pass filter for the sats in case they don't already have built-in high pass filters like the BM5 mkIIII.

Steve

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!
« Reply #14 on: 9 Dec 2016, 06:51 pm »
Getting the Dynaudio to work with subs is high on my wish list. But I don't see how the Dynaudio Bookshelf speakers can feed any sub, Dynaudio or otherwise, with a signal. I don't see an output jack of any kind on the Dynaudios. I could be very dense, though.

Are your Dyn's connected wireless to a hub?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #15 on: 9 Dec 2016, 11:18 pm »

OK then, lets focus on just the Dynaudio BM5 MkIII's (Dyn's).  You're right, the Dyn's cannot output to anything.  Audio signal would go from a source to a preamp (or integrated amp line output) to the subwoofer (sub) and the Dyn's in one of two ways:

1.) Connecting left and right outputs to the sub and connecting left output to the left Dyn and connecting the right output to the right Dyn.  This is easy if you have two pair (left/right) low level (RCA/XLR) outputs.  If not you'll have to use a splitter as mentioned above.

2.) With the right sub, just connect left/right low level outputs from the preamp (or integrated amp line output) to the sub and connect left/right low level outputs from the sub to the left/right Dyn's.  The Dynaudio sub shown by Steve is one of the right subs.