Headphones with DAC-10H

Randy Myers

Headphones with DAC-10H
« on: 28 Aug 2016, 03:51 am »
Quick question... I am breaking in a DAC-10H and am thinking about adding a nice set of balanced headphones.

Has anyone tried Sennheiser HD800 or HD800S?  Does the NuPrime drive them without issue?  Any other suggestions on a better choice in headphone?

Thank you for any feedback!

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
Re: Headphones with DAC-10H
« Reply #1 on: 28 Aug 2016, 07:33 am »
What other headphones have you heard/liked? Do you have a preference in sound signature? Headphones are a big big world these days.

Randy Myers

« Reply #2 on: 28 Aug 2016, 12:34 pm »
What I am looking for in a headphone is something that I can listen to that gives me sound quality that I enjoy when I don't want to disturb my wife or grand daughter (living with us for the time being) while listening to my speakers.  I like accuracy and sound stage in my speakers; what would be referred to as the European sound.  I was always a KEF fan back in the day and currently own a pair of Music Culture speakers from Wolfgang Meletzky, of MBL fame.  I also have a pair of KEF M500 headphones which are decent but not enough.  The KEF's are good for portable use with my Ayres Pono, but not high end enough for serious listening.  So I am looking for comfort, accuracy, sound stage, and using a balanced cable.  I don't care about them being super loud.  I just don't listen to music very loud any more, as long as they can get up and run some.

At one time I had a pair of McIntosh.  This was when I was first getting back into this wonderful hobby about a year ago.  While they sounded good I felt they were not the most comfortable for long listening sessions.  I also did not like the closed back design.  It was too isolating and I also felt it didn't allow for as much openness.  I also had a pair of Audeze EL-8.  Again, pretty decent sounding but just not comfortable for any kind of length of time.  I also did not like their different "slot'" connector.  I felt it would loose connection far too often.  Whenever I move my head in the slightest I would have to hold on to the cable.  This really interfered with the enjoyment of listening and getting into the music.

Unfortunately it is not possible listening to a bunch of different head sets.  There are just not any decent dealers within a few hours of me.  Therefore I have to count on reviews and friends opinions; recommendations on forums, etc.  So far I have yet to read anything bad about the HD-800S, other than maybe the price.  And from my understanding they are now including the balanced cable in the box with them.  This cable sells for $380 separately.

Eisener Bart

« Reply #3 on: 28 Aug 2016, 01:13 pm »
What I am looking for in a headphone is something that I can listen to that gives me sound quality that I enjoy when I don't want to disturb my wife or grand daughter (living with us for the time being) while listening to my speakers.  I like accuracy and sound stage in my speakers; what would be referred to as the European sound.  I was always a KEF fan back in the day and currently own a pair of Music Culture speakers from Wolfgang Meletzky, of MBL fame.  I also have a pair of KEF M500 headphones which are decent but not enough.  The KEF's are good for portable use with my Ayres Pono, but not high end enough for serious listening.  So I am looking for comfort, accuracy, sound stage, and using a balanced cable.  I don't care about them being super loud.  I just don't listen to music very loud any more, as long as they can get up and run some.

At one time I had a pair of McIntosh.  This was when I was first getting back into this wonderful hobby about a year ago.  While they sounded good I felt they were not the most comfortable for long listening sessions.  I also did not like the closed back design.  It was too isolating and I also felt it didn't allow for as much openness.  I also had a pair of Audeze EL-8.  Again, pretty decent sounding but just not comfortable for any kind of length of time.  I also did not like their different "slot'" connector.  I felt it would loose connection far too often.  Whenever I move my head in the slightest I would have to hold on to the cable.  This really interfered with the enjoyment of listening and getting into the music.

Unfortunately it is not possible listening to a bunch of different head sets.  There are just not any decent dealers within a few hours of me.  Therefore I have to count on reviews and friends opinions; recommendations on forums, etc.  So far I have yet to read anything bad about the HD-800S, other than maybe the price.  And from my understanding they are now including the balanced cable in the box with them.  This cable sells for $380 separately.

If you are looking for comfort:
1) Sennheiser 800
2) HiFiMan HE1000
3) AudioQuest Nighthawk.

I made reviews for 2 of these phones.
« Last Edit: 29 Aug 2016, 01:54 pm by Eisener Bart »

Randy Myers

« Reply #4 on: 28 Aug 2016, 01:32 pm »
Thank you sir!  I decided to go for the HD800S.  Including the $380 balanced cable just made it a great deal and it sounds like what i am looking for!

Armaegis

« Reply #5 on: 28 Aug 2016, 03:35 pm »
I would also consider the Oppo PM-1 or 2: Not as resolving, but super comfortable and has a very sleek profile and good looks. Light enough to go portable, and also does not leak as much sound as the HD800S if late-night or bedroom listening is a concern.

milford3

« Reply #6 on: 28 Aug 2016, 04:06 pm »
The Meze 99 Classics may be a good choice.  They are a closed back design and could be used for portable duties.

Eisener Bart

« Reply #7 on: 28 Aug 2016, 05:15 pm »
The Meze 99 Classics may be a good choice.  They are a closed back design and could be used for portable duties.

not for people with skin allergy.
and I've been not impressed by sound.

Armaegis

« Reply #8 on: 28 Aug 2016, 05:43 pm »
not for people with skin allergy.

Something in the pads that causes a bad reaction?

Eisener Bart

« Reply #9 on: 28 Aug 2016, 07:01 pm »
Something in the pads that causes a bad reaction?

Yes, I had very uncomfortable feelings when keep it in hands.

milford3

« Reply #10 on: 28 Aug 2016, 11:19 pm »
Yes, I had very uncomfortable feelings when keep it in hands.

When felt in the hands?   This makes no sense what so ever. 

Eisener Bart

« Reply #11 on: 29 Aug 2016, 01:36 pm »

When felt in the hands?   This makes no sense what so ever.

What doesn't have sense?  :duh:

ctsooner

« Reply #12 on: 29 Aug 2016, 01:42 pm »
the soon to be released Audioquest Nightowl is also going to be a player in that price range.  Much better looks as they have gone to a carbon fiber type of cup or maybe it's just gray.  I think this headphone is going to be a true player in the under 1k price range for sure.  I'm still using my Noble Savants and loving them in both balanced and single ended mode.  it will take a lot for me to switch them as my everyday headphone.  Good luck.

rustydoglim

« Reply #13 on: 30 Aug 2016, 07:35 pm »
Quick question... I am breaking in a DAC-10H and am thinking about adding a nice set of balanced headphones.

Has anyone tried Sennheiser HD800 or HD800S?  Does the NuPrime drive them without issue?  Any other suggestions on a better choice in headphone?

Thank you for any feedback!

DAC-10H can drive anything, seriously. Just look at the spec. Yes, we do own a HD-800 and several high-end headphones for testing.

Randy Myers

« Reply #14 on: 30 Aug 2016, 07:45 pm »
Nice!!!  Thank you for reply... I ended up ordering a pair of Sennheiser HD800S and they are slated to arrive tomorrow...  I can't wait to give them a go :)...

Randy Myers

« Reply #15 on: 1 Sep 2016, 01:08 pm »
The HD800S arrived yesterday.  The NuPrime DAC-10H drives them with no issues what so ever.  They sound fantastic with listening to them last evening for a little while.  Seems like they are pretty amazing headphones.