Warpspeed Optocoupler

gooberdude

Re: Warpspeed Optocoupler
« Reply #60 on: 6 Oct 2011, 12:36 am »
My set-up s/b ok for a preamp demo, except i don't own a difft preamp to a/b it against    :roll:

I've been using digital sources for volume ctrl the last few wks w/a new 15wpc SET amp.  I have a TRL modded sacd player, and also a mac mini/Tranquility dac front end.  The Opto vs direct connection s/b a good test.

i've owned a few passive preamps including a nice tvc, but got bored w/them after a while.

Looks like i'll have the preamp until 10/18 or so.  BPape should get it the tuesday after RMAF. 

Rclark

« Reply #61 on: 6 Oct 2011, 01:01 am »
Gooberdude's source gear is much more serious than mine, his report will be interesting.

gooberdude

« Reply #62 on: 6 Oct 2011, 01:05 am »
I think my rig is decent enough to hear differences in components & what not, but Bryan Pape gets the opto after me. 

I value Bryan's opinion above most, due to his profession & experience.  he's heard the best of the best.

matt

Rclark

« Reply #63 on: 6 Oct 2011, 09:39 pm »
 Worried about using USPS for this tour. The idiots can't find my batteries and charger I just bought from a user here for my amp. It was posted as delivered this morning at 7:34 am, but there's no notice, I heard noone knock, and they don't have the package at the station.

I have only had consistent good service from Fedex.

Edit: got it :)

Holy Moly. Battery power on my Virtue amp is a similarly profound experience..if not even more so.. Too bad the Warp is gone, I may keel over with too much goodness.. battery powered amp, battery powered light-based attenuation.. My dac sounds awesome again.  :thumb:

« Last Edit: 7 Oct 2011, 10:35 pm by Rclark »

gooberdude

« Reply #64 on: 7 Oct 2011, 10:35 pm »
USPS came through, the preamp arrived in great shape.

haven't had time to hook it up yet but will post impressions soon.

:thumb:

Warpspeed CE

« Reply #65 on: 7 Oct 2011, 11:40 pm »
My opinion of the Warpspeed Octocoupler is that is brings out the pulse of life. The level of clean purity it provides is quite stunning. Certain well recorded electric guitar now sounds like live amp production....

"...brings out the pulse of life." I like that description...and I am constantly reminded by John Lee Hooker, Taj Mahal, Mark Knopfler, BB King, SRV, EC, Keb Mo, Dan Peer, Chet Atkins, Robert Cray to name a few.

gooberdude, enjoy!

gooberdude

« Reply #66 on: 8 Oct 2011, 02:17 am »
This little preamp is something else, imaging is excellent & begs you to keep turning the volume up.  Be careful w/this thing!

I ran into a snag initially, totally forgot its a passive preamp. My dac set-up requires long IC lengths & wasn't optimal. 1m IC's with the sacd player work much better.  Still playing with the feedback knob on the amp & the sub amp outputs, but so far its enjoyable.  Very different from passives & a nice tvc i've had prior.

Over the weekend i'll have time to re-arrange & get the mini/Tranquility in the mix (hopefully).

Warpspeed CE

« Reply #67 on: 8 Oct 2011, 02:34 am »
Can we nickname it the "neutrino"?  :D

gooberdude

« Reply #68 on: 9 Oct 2011, 05:09 pm »
The optocoupler went on a mini-tour yesterday as i went to 2 separate audio gatherings.  Having 1 panel clear is a good idea.  Since the preamp is small, makes for a good conversation piece.

I have to admit that I just got the preamp to work correctly in my system this morning, thanks to Rclark.  it seems the opto did not like the way i had the sub amp connected, which gets its signal via speaker cables from the main amp.    :nono:

This morning i rigged up some y splitters off the opto's rca outputs  with signals to both amps via interconnects. Problem solved!!

The final piece of the puzzle I wasn't getting before is deep bass.  It is prolific now.

This is unlike any passive i've ever had.

Thanks Rclark & Warpspeed for your assistance.

matt

Warpspeed CE

« Reply #69 on: 9 Oct 2011, 06:21 pm »
Thanks for your observations gooberdude and Rclark...I have not run into this issue before as I don't have a subwoofer.

That's how I initially tried bi-amping with the Neutrino before with Y-splitters from its outputs.

gooberdude

« Reply #70 on: 9 Oct 2011, 06:36 pm »
Its been my experience that a passive can't always drop into a multi-amp system easily.

If your home system doesn't reach the lowest bass registers, consider buying a sub   :lol:     The Neutrino does low, forceful deep bass. 

I can't hear any sort of sonic signature, just free flowing dynamics. 

My room is wide & sound is usually plastered against the front wall uniformly.  The neutrino brings a front/back depth to everything that is awesome.  The stage isn't noticeably wider, but definitely more spread out & not artificially so.

Rclark

« Reply #71 on: 9 Oct 2011, 09:41 pm »
 Beginner's luck! Had no idea I was doing it the right way for the octo!  :lol:

Yeah, I just went and y-split each left right IC from the Warpspeed into the amp and stereo into the sub. That's why I was able to comment on the improvement even to the sub.

That's my plan for when I get to the building of new subwoofers. My tentative plan is to replace the single vented 10" and have a pair of GR Research 8" (or 12) H or W frames per side, each placed alongside a maggie, and to use the y-split into them. If there is a better way I'd love to know, but my speakers and current sub received plenty of juice.

My dac has 12 volt peak to peak, 2 amp output. Its replacement will need to be as powerful, I think.

Warpspeed CE

« Reply #72 on: 10 Oct 2011, 01:22 am »
All V4s and V8s (bottom units) have their Unbalanced OUTs internally Y-split, each with its own pairs of L/R RCA connectors on the rear panel...that's been taken care of for you!  :thumb:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #73 on: 10 Oct 2011, 01:23 am »
What's the cost (assembled and parts only) of these?

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #74 on: 10 Oct 2011, 01:39 am »
...and how long is order-build-ship time??

Warpspeed CE

« Reply #75 on: 10 Oct 2011, 04:22 am »
Guys, please email me and I can answer in more detail...I'm listed here in AC. Thanks.

Rclark

« Reply #76 on: 10 Oct 2011, 06:48 am »
I wasn't aware there were two models. Can you describe the differences between the V4 and V8? Which unit is represented on this tour?

:D

gooberdude

« Reply #77 on: 10 Oct 2011, 02:23 pm »
I just put in an order for a V4    :lol:

Even if I can only use it with one source, or in a 2nd system, or for a rainy day if my main preamp stops working....the opto is a bargain no matter how you look at it.

So far its a match made in heaven with my sacd player, but I can't get the Mini/Tranquility to work properly.  Both sources put out 2V or more, but i'm thinking its an impedence issue with the dac.

oh well, not a deal breaker.  the opto is good enough to build a system around, rather than beat my self over the head trying to get to to 'fit' into an existing system. 

EDIT:  If you are a member at diyaudio.com, Warpspeed has posted a lot of info & product info on that forum.  Their member Blues has been building them too I think.

matt

InfernoSTi

« Reply #78 on: 10 Oct 2011, 02:52 pm »
That is a nice looking DAC, Matt.  I wonder why it won't work?  Perhaps greater than 2v is overloading the Warpspeed?  From the Tranquility site:

Output voltage greater than 2.0 volts
Output impedance less than 50 ohms

Do you have the output impedance info on the SACD player to contrast?

John

P.S.

oh well, not a deal breaker.  the opto is good enough to build a system around, rather than beat my self over the head trying to get to to 'fit' into an existing system. 

That is some mighty praise!!!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #79 on: 10 Oct 2011, 02:53 pm »
Guys, please email me and I can answer in more detail...I'm listed here in AC. Thanks.

Where is your email listed?   :scratch: