Looking for a new Turntable and need some advice.

C17FXR

• Remember, you don't have to rewind the Blu-ray.
Looking for a new Turntable and need some advice.
« on: 26 Mar 2010, 03:21 pm »
Hello all,

Would be very interested in your thoughts on the Rega P7 or P9, VPI Scoutmaster or Classic, Mitchell Gyro SE Mk II and Origin Live Resolution Mk 2. All very similarly priced and having their own pros & cons.

I have plans to audition the O/L Resolution in the coming weeks and planning to hopefully have a demo of the others pretty soon.

As to the Rega P7 I'm really torn on this one, not sure if the P7 will have more of everything, soundstage, timing, detail, silent blacks than my P25, would be disappointed if was only marginally better.

Current setup consists of a Rega P25 with the Groovetracer Sub-platter and Acrylic Platter, Pete Riggle VTAF and Grado’s Reference Platinum cartridge. All connected to a McCormack Micro Phono Drive with Platinum upgrades. After hearing the difference between a stock McCormack MPD and the Platinum I knew the table set up was a limiting factor and thus the reason for starting this search for a new table. I’m in no hurry and will be doing as much research as possible before making a final decision on my purchase.
I also have plans to move up in the Grado line to either the Reference Reference or Statement in the near future as the Platinum starts to age.
Anyway I would like to Thank Everyone in advance for your constructive comments. Would really like anyone’s thoughts if they’ve went from one brand to another (pro’s and con’s).

TheChairGuy

Re: Looking for a new Turntable and need some advice.
« Reply #1 on: 26 Mar 2010, 05:00 pm »
All of those listed, save the VPI Classic, have 9" arms (the de facto 'standard')

Much depends on what you listen to...but I regularly hear the better tracking on piano pieces (a lot of what I listen to) with 10" or 10.5" arms. It's simply the physics of a longer arm on a 12" record - all other things equal.

I own the VPI Classic and it's an impressive deck for $2500 in the US.  But, I also have owned a variety of direct drive decks that cost 1/5 to 1/10 as much...yet sound a lot better than 1/5 or 1/10 as good as it.

I'm a big Grado fan, too.  They're very natural sounding (piano, again, my normal guide)

The Brit decks, while fine indeed I'm sure, are ladled with extra costs that come as a result of crossing a long way over the pond and exchange rates.  The Brits, likewise, pay dearly for the VPI line for the same reasons.

As you are in Canada...the above exchange rate issue is mostly moot as the Loonie is strong of late against both Pound Sterling and USD.

John

95Dyna

« Reply #2 on: 26 Mar 2010, 06:09 pm »
All of those listed, save the VPI Classic, have 9" arms (the de facto 'standard')

Much depends on what you listen to...but I regularly hear the better tracking on piano pieces (a lot of what I listen to) with 10" or 10.5" arms. It's simply the physics of a longer arm on a 12" record - all other things equal.

I own the VPI Classic and it's an impressive deck for $2500 in the US.  But, I also have owned a variety of direct drive decks that cost 1/5 to 1/10 as much...yet sound a lot better than 1/5 or 1/10 as good as it.

I'm a big Grado fan, too.  They're very natural sounding (piano, again, my normal guide)

The Brit decks, while fine indeed I'm sure, are ladled with extra costs that come as a result of crossing a long way over the pond and exchange rates.  The Brits, likewise, pay dearly for the VPI line for the same reasons.

As you are in Canada...the above exchange rate issue is mostly moot as the Loonie is strong of late against both Pound Sterling and USD.

John

Hi John,

I'm likely going to go with the Classic but am trying to select a cartridge.  Which Grado do you use with your Classic.  If I asked you this in another thread my apologies in advance.

Bill

TheChairGuy

« Reply #3 on: 26 Mar 2010, 10:14 pm »
Bill/95Dyna,

I use a Grado Gold....with added van Alstine 'Longhorn' crossbar and silicone damping to the coils.  The standard Grado Gold stylus assembly was swapped with that of a shibata shape from the old G1+ series.

It sounds superb.  A kindly AC'er loaned me his Grado 5mv Reference (USD$1200) and I liked my little bastardized Grado better (and it cost $300, + an hour of my time, the way I assembled it)

The Longhorn crossbar helps any Grado to track better...and inherent weakness among it's virtues.  Once you get it to track better - you dig more out of the grooves  :dance:

Damping the coils with 1000cst silicone creates a slight more refined sound, too.

AC member Wayner actually picked up the gauntlet recently and began producing Longhorned Grado's per Frank van Alstine's original recipe.

For $300, you can buy a Grado Gold 1 totally Longhorned out from Audio by van Alstine...and you can choose to swap out the Gold stylus assembly for some older stylus assembly with a nude or better profile shape.  Grado still sells older stylus assemblies...you need to simply call them and ask.

For less than $500 for all, I think you'll have among the finest and most natural transducers ever to hit a record this way; and you'll save a lot of dough over a potentially inferior sounding, more costly Woodie in the Grado line :thumb:

John

C17FXR

« Reply #4 on: 28 Mar 2010, 03:46 pm »
ChairGuy
Thanks for the response. Sorry its taken so long to respond was at a maple festival and wine tasting yesterday. I know the gold cartridge that you are referring to and will give it a shot while I do my research on these table. It will also give me the second cartridge I need as the P25 will be moved to my computer room/office once I decide which table to purchase. So you never know I may wind up with 2 Grado Gold Longhorns. By the way I'm in Canada working for my company so going to the US to make a purchase if needed is not a problem.

95Dyna

« Reply #5 on: 28 Mar 2010, 10:20 pm »
Bill/95Dyna,

I use a Grado Gold....with added van Alstine 'Longhorn' crossbar and silicone damping to the coils.  The standard Grado Gold stylus assembly was swapped with that of a shibata shape from the old G1+ series.

It sounds superb.  A kindly AC'er loaned me his Grado 5mv Reference (USD$1200) and I liked my little bastardized Grado better (and it cost $300, + an hour of my time, the way I assembled it)

The Longhorn crossbar helps any Grado to track better...and inherent weakness among it's virtues.  Once you get it to track better - you dig more out of the grooves  :dance:

Damping the coils with 1000cst silicone creates a slight more refined sound, too.

AC member Wayner actually picked up the gauntlet recently and began producing Longhorned Grado's per Frank van Alstine's original recipe.

For $300, you can buy a Grado Gold 1 totally Longhorned out from Audio by van Alstine...and you can choose to swap out the Gold stylus assembly for some older stylus assembly with a nude or better profile shape.  Grado still sells older stylus assemblies...you need to simply call them and ask.

For less than $500 for all, I think you'll have among the finest and most natural transducers ever to hit a record this way; and you'll save a lot of dough over a potentially inferior sounding, more costly Woodie in the Grado line :thumb:

John

Thanks John.  Very interesting.  I'll have to give that some thought.

C17FXR

« Reply #6 on: 30 Mar 2010, 11:41 pm »
John
I see that you previously owned a Vpi HW-19 with AQ Pt-6 arm. Could I get you opinion on this as compared to the Classic. Still doing my search for information concerning TT's. Here's my line of thinking. I've seen an Origin Live Tonearm that I will get the chance to listen to in the coming weeks, the Illustrious. My thinking (this my be pretty hard off the wall) but mounting this to a HW-19 Mk III or IV. Also do you have an opinion on the stand alone motor assembly for the HW-19. This table has caught my interest, so just starting my research.
Again thank you for your input.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #7 on: 31 Mar 2010, 01:06 am »
John
I see that you previously owned a Vpi HW-19 with AQ Pt-6 arm. Could I get you opinion on this as compared to the Classic. Still doing my search for information concerning TT's. Here's my line of thinking. I've seen an Origin Live Tonearm that I will get the chance to listen to in the coming weeks, the Illustrious. My thinking (this my be pretty hard off the wall) but mounting this to a HW-19 Mk III or IV. Also do you have an opinion on the stand alone motor assembly for the HW-19. This table has caught my interest, so just starting my research.
Again thank you for your input.
C1-  Hi.  Hope you will post your impressions of the Origin Live arm and compared to what.  I won't be buying one but I am genuinely considering sending my Rega cross the pond for an OL modification.  Thanks.

Anyone have any experience with OL modifying their Rega?

sturgus

« Reply #8 on: 31 Mar 2010, 03:09 am »
Hey Jim, I don't have any experience with OL but I sure love my Audiomods arm. It has bettered my AQ PT-9 by a good margin, and the AQ is a fine arm. IMO the AQ is a better arm than the Rega 250/300.
C1, I have the Hw19 Mk4 and Love it. I have a few arms that I use but am in love with the Audiomods Rega it does every thing my AQ PT-9 does but with more speed and grace.
Sturgus
http://www.audiomods.co.uk/ordering.html