VMPS Inventory available

bill13

Re: VMPS Inventory available
« Reply #120 on: 26 Sep 2014, 01:12 am »
fritzspeakers, & /mp,

I changed my mind about shipping four VMPS neo panels (nuts/bolts terminals) to klaspe in Germany, thanks to the helpful and encouraging post by fritzspeakers (see above posting) , and klaspe's generous offer:  you might say, 'an offer I couldn't refuse'.     

All six of the remaining VMPS neo panels now have been sold - no more are left.

Thank you all for your interest in the VMPS neo panels.

I imagine that in the future speaker-builder hobbyists with some crossover design/modification experience might be able to substitute Bohlender Graebener, Neo8-S Mid / Tweeter for the VMPS neo panel ??? (note: BG Neo8-S version is evidently available from Meniscus Audio for $109 without the mounting plate ... IMO, you don't need the BG mounting plate, so I think).

The BG Neo8-s planar driver looks a lot like the 8" tall VMPS neo panel (!).
One could say that the Neo8-S is the new version of the older BG Neo 8.   
The new superior BG Neo8-S makes use of the engineering improvements from the recent Neo 10 (see the impressive 'Zaph' measurements for the Neo 10). 
The Neo8-S magnet system is nearly twice as thick as the older neo8 driver. 
The 8-S has better sensitivity.   8 ohm impedance & newer BG Neo8-S features corrugations on the sides of the diaphragm for (much) lower distortion in the 250-300Hz range. :D

Wish Good luck to you VMPS speaker owners.

Bill

klapse

« Reply #121 on: 29 Sep 2014, 05:00 am »
Just wanted to send a big "thanks" to Bill13 for sending the VMPS panels. I have pretty severe imaging problems (center panned (mono) voices coming mostly from the left speaker).

Hopefully the 4 panels will keep my RM2s running for years to come. I also ordered a pair of Aurum Cantus FSTs for the eventuality that my tweeters die someday.

Cheers to all, VMPS is unique in this world. Hope someday another manufacturer takes up the reins and continues this fine tradition of phase coherent, planar midrange speakers!

John Casler

« Reply #122 on: 29 Sep 2014, 05:42 am »

Cheers to all, VMPS is unique in this world. Hope someday another manufacturer takes up the reins and continues this fine tradition of phase coherent, planar midrange speakers!

I am working with a group right now that has that potential.  Should have prototypes by the first of the year.

stehno

« Reply #123 on: 29 Sep 2014, 07:12 am »
Can anybody tell me what the exact crossover frequencies are for the RM40's?  Mine are about 8 - 9 years old.

Also, if the upper woofer (mid-woofer?) crossover frequencies are the same as the lower?

Thanks,

John Casler

« Reply #124 on: 30 Sep 2014, 05:50 pm »
Can anybody tell me what the exact crossover frequencies are for the RM40's?  Mine are about 8 - 9 years old.

Also, if the upper woofer (mid-woofer?) crossover frequencies are the same as the lower?

Thanks,

Early on, IIRC Brian crossed over at 166Hz.  Later he moved up to over 200Hz (210-280Hz) so it would be difficult to know where your pair came in.

He may have employed a slightly different filter to the two woofers, but I don't think so.  Instead he used two slightly different woofers that had slightly differing performances.  This had a couple incarnations, and we even had a "mid-woofer" upgrade option at one time.

Later, he used the SAME woofers and said he "magnetized" the magnet at a different strength, which was the final incarnation.

stehno

« Reply #125 on: 1 Oct 2014, 12:26 am »
Thanks, John.

I think my woofer to mid x-over is 166Hz. 

My speakers have the upgraded top woofers as the seller provided me the originals as extras.

I suspect my mid - high x-over is 10kHz but I recall reading that the later versions had the x-over frequency lowered to 8kHz or somewhere around there.

I take it there's no identifier that would confirm my speaker's age and hence the x-over frequencies?

If not, then why the hell did I spend such big bucks ($1,500 + $500 shipping) on these fabulous speakers when I could have spent far more for far less?   8)

The main thing I wanted to know was if I have a 4-way or 3-way x-over.  Any help there?

Thanks,

John Casler

« Reply #126 on: 1 Oct 2014, 01:03 am »
Thanks, John.

I think my woofer to mid x-over is 166Hz. 

My speakers have the upgraded top woofers as the seller provided me the originals as extras.

I suspect my mid - high x-over is 10kHz but I recall reading that the later versions had the x-over frequency lowered to 8kHz or somewhere around there.

I take it there's no identifier that would confirm my speaker's age and hence the x-over frequencies?

If not, then why the hell did I spend such big bucks ($1,500 + $500 shipping) on these fabulous speakers when I could have spent far more for far less?   8)

The main thing I wanted to know was if I have a 4-way or 3-way x-over.  Any help there?

Thanks,
High Pass was never that high that I know of.

With the Double Spiral Tweeters it was 6.9Khz, and with the FST it was lowered to 5.9Khz.

Since the woofers act as a single woofer, it is a 3-way XO network.

You can't buy a decent Stand Mount Speaker for that price (and I mean a SINGLE STAND MOUNT SPEAKER) much less a PAIR of the best Floor Standers ever made.  :thumb:

stehno

« Reply #127 on: 1 Oct 2014, 01:46 am »

Thank you.  Regarding my comment about cost, I hope you picked up on the smiley behind it.

Here's the speakers' description used in the seller's advertisement:

------------------------------------------------------------
"But they are huge, over 66" tall and weigh over 240lbs each...
Shipping these monsters is totally out of the question,
so they must be picked up.... (I will meet buyer half way within a 100 miles or so)

I am the original owner, bought them new directly from VMPS. MANY VMPS upgrades... 
The beautiful full wrap Rosewood finish,
FST tweeter upgrade..... best sounding tweeter I've ever heard.
TRTs cap upgrade...
Analysis Plus 12 gauge Silver bass wire,
MidBass MEGAWOOFER! Driver upgrade....

These speakers have been known to bring tears to the eyes of their listeners...   they are that special..... if you're a Metallica fan, or a fan of music period.... you won't believe your ears...    If you have the room for these, and the electronics... you will be blown away...

As you can see from the pictures these speakers are in excellent condition, no scratches or dings.
All drivers and grills are in excellent condition as well.....
Suggested retail for these speakers with upgrades is well over $6k....really

Specifications:

FST Tweeter, Four 8" Neodymium Midrange Panels, Two 10" Woven Carbon Fiber Woofers
    Nominal Impedance: 4 Ohms
    - 3 dB at 24 Hz
    Power Handling 500W
    Bi-Wireable
    Dimensions: 66" H x 12.5" W x 17" D
    Weight: 240 lbs each
    MSRP: $5,000/Pair USA Depending on Finish; $6,200/Pair for Review Units

---------------------------
BTW, Peter Moncrieff's review referenced the x-over frequencies numeous times.  For example:

"The midrange driver alone handles virtually the entire musical range, from 166 Hz all the way up to 10 kHz."

So I guess that's where I picked up my x-over numbers.

Thanks, again.
« Last Edit: 1 Oct 2014, 03:42 am by stehno »

stehno

« Reply #128 on: 1 Oct 2014, 03:43 am »

The first pic was from the ad.  This is my listening room today.

John Casler

« Reply #129 on: 1 Oct 2014, 05:16 am »
Yours have the FST tweeter so I would guess you bass filter is around 220Hz - 250Hz or so.  The 166Hz was back in 2002 when they first came out and had dual Spiral Tweets.

I think B, raised it when he went to the FST.

hifi111

« Reply #130 on: 2 Oct 2014, 03:36 am »
I have a pair of Cherry finish RM-40 ' s and a single gloss black 40 The black 40 needs a FST tweeter since I used the original in my 626.Small room and bad knees are the only reason for parting with these.The cherry veneer has some bubbling but sound great and are being listened to as I type.The gloss black I personally picked up from Brian and upon opening them at home, the paint was sticking to the foam and boxes.They also were not sanded properly. I was upset to say the least.I called Brian and he was more than willing to fix the cosmetics if I brought them back. I made the mistake of installing them for a listen and never took them out.( A testament to the phenomenal sound he designed with the 40's) I ended up with six 40 ' s in a Trinaural / HT system in my larger home. I was done... I am close to Sacramento Ca.Contact if interested.These all have mega woofers and all came with the FST ' S and mega woofers when built new.

stehno

« Reply #131 on: 25 Oct 2014, 03:45 pm »
John, thanks for all the info regarding my RM-40's.

In sum, it seems that my RM-40's consist of:

o  A 3-way x-over.  (upper and lower bass drivers cover same frequency range)
   o  X-over frequencies are approximately 220-250Hz and 5.9kHz.

Two more questions if I may:

1. Are the speaker binding posts easily replaceable?  e.g. do I need to perform any soldering?
   2. Are the internal wires (i.e driver wire to x-over, x-over wire to binding posts) easily replaceable?  e.g. do I need to perform any soldering?

I ask because 1) as one who uses fully-immersed cryo'ed speaker cables, I'd like to replace the binding posts with a cryo'ed copper, rhodium, or silver binding post and perhaps one day do the same for the internal wiring, and 2) I'm no soldering expert.

I earlier asked about the x-overs because one day if I'm really ambitious, I might commission an expert solderer to convert the x-overs to external chassis' so they can then be mounted on a shelf for some extreme vibration mgmt.

One day, I may even have some T-6061 aluminum base plates machined to replace the mdf/plywood base plates so I can properly anchor these 240 lbs. behemoths to the sub-flooring system.  I know Brian C. recommended not doing so, but as much of a genius he probably was, that still doesn't mean he knew or understood everything.   8)

Thanks for your help,

John Casler

« Reply #132 on: 25 Oct 2014, 11:03 pm »
Two more questions if I may:

1. Are the speaker binding posts easily replaceable?  e.g. do I need to perform any soldering?
   2. Are the internal wires (i.e driver wire to x-over, x-over wire to binding posts) easily replaceable?  e.g. do I need to perform any soldering?

1) Yes they are easily changed.  Likely you would need to solder the wires to your new posts, so that job would depend on the posts you select and the method they use to connect.

2) I wouldn't say the internal wiring is "easy" to replace, since there are quite a few connections.  And they are all "point to point" connections soldered into place.

stehno

« Reply #133 on: 25 Oct 2014, 11:23 pm »
Thanks, John.

I should have been more specific.  I'm bi-wiring but the purple Analysis Plus jumpers that came with the RM-40's have ring terminals at either end for easy fastening at both binding posts.

If I purchase the right binding posts, do the internals have ring terminals for easy fastening?

Can you tell me what binding post size and length I should be looking for?

And finally, do you have an outright recommendation on some good copper, rhodium, or silver binding posts properly sized for the RM-40's?

Very much appreciated.

John Casler

« Reply #134 on: 27 Oct 2014, 08:52 pm »
Thanks, John.

I should have been more specific.  I'm bi-wiring but the purple Analysis Plus jumpers that came with the RM-40's have ring terminals at either end for easy fastening at both binding posts.

If I purchase the right binding posts, do the internals have ring terminals for easy fastening?

???  If you are bi-wiring you should not be using the Analysis Plus Jumpers.

Internals?  Internals what?  Do you mean do all binding posts have internal posts with nuts and washers?

I think you can only find that out when you select the binding post you decide to use.  Most have a threaded portion on the inside post to tighen the post to the cabinet.  You might be able to aquire an additional nut of the same size to tighten on the wiring, but generally they have solder connections.

Can you tell me what binding post size and length I should be looking for?

You will need at least 1.5" posts.

And finally, do you have an outright recommendation on some good copper, rhodium, or silver binding posts properly sized for the RM-40's?

Very much appreciated.

Take a look at Michael Percy  and his CARDAS posts

stehno

« Reply #135 on: 27 Oct 2014, 09:37 pm »
Thanks, John.

No, I'm not using the AP jumpers whilst I bi-wire.

By internals, I meant internal wiring from the x-over and specifically the connections at the internal side of the binding posts.  I had a pair of speakers that used ring terminals on the internal wiring at the speaker binding posts.  I was hoping this might be the case with the RM-40's.

Binding posts need to be 1.5" long, eh?  That seems longer than most I've seen.

Much appreciated.

RSorak

• Facilitator
« Reply #136 on: 25 Feb 2015, 09:33 pm »
Are there anymore Large SW upgrade parts? Megawoofer and or PR's ?

John Casler

« Reply #137 on: 5 Mar 2015, 04:10 am »
Are there anymore Large SW upgrade parts? Megawoofer and or PR's ?

There are no more NOS parts, but we do have an upgraded ULTRAMEGA Passive Radiator in 12" and 15" sizes.  The LARGER uses the 15".

Contact me, if interested

sistemizer

« Reply #138 on: 18 Mar 2015, 02:33 am »
Can anyone tell me who was the manufacturer of the RM40 10" upper and lower woofers?
Thanks

John Casler

« Reply #139 on: 21 Mar 2015, 07:56 pm »
Can anyone tell me who was the manufacturer of the RM40 10" upper and lower woofers?
Thanks

They were made by Misco, but no longer available.