AVP32 - what specs do users want!

JDoyle

Re: AVP32 - what specs do users want!
« Reply #20 on: 24 Jan 2008, 01:02 am »
We like to keep it at $2K.  It is still too early to tell.

Is there an updated release date yet?

JD

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #21 on: 30 Jan 2008, 09:45 am »
Waiting for HD audio decoding chip set.  I don't think we're going to see AVP-32 out the door until end of the year. Testing and getting all the bugs out is going to take a long time. That's why I am not optimistic about the schedule.

plivac

« Reply #22 on: 30 Jan 2008, 04:15 pm »
Couple of important questions:

1. can you give us an idea of what to expect feature-wise.
(of course if we can stir you in the right direction that would be nice too)

2. also will there be a trade-in program for the AVP17?

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #23 on: 31 Jan 2008, 08:28 am »
It is too early to confirm the features until the chip set has been evaluated in March :(.
Nuforce always take care of existing customers.
Offcourse we will offer trade-in program.  :)
We have to determine the cost of AVP-32 before we can announce the trade-in. 
It is still too early to determine the list price of AVP-32. My best guess is between $2K and $3K.

DigitalLF

« Reply #24 on: 9 Feb 2008, 01:44 am »
i would like to see that there is a option that will turn of all leds and the display...

seem quite simple but for me it would be a dream come true.

plivac

« Reply #25 on: 13 Feb 2008, 10:17 pm »
a couple of additional things I would change from the AVP17:

1. it should have a memory of last setting/input used.

2. there are only 3 optical inputs

3. you should be able to assign the digital/analog inputs rather than have predefineds only.

plivac

« Reply #26 on: 5 Mar 2008, 07:40 pm »
One thing on Dolby Audio Processing on the AVP17- I really cannot tell the difference between the MOVIE/MUSIC/VIRTUAL/EX Modes where as I could tell on my Marantz.

This is something that maybe should be looked into when designing the AVP32.

plivac

« Reply #27 on: 14 Apr 2008, 03:36 pm »
Jason,

any updates on the "AVP 32"??

First Off - I am REALLY enjoying the sound of the AVP 17 coupled with the SE AMP, but after using it for 4 months, I have come to the conclusion that:

1. a lot of features discussed on this forum are a must for anybody who is paying over $1,000 for a half-decent sound processor - otherwise there is nor reason not to move to a product like Cary Cinema 11/Anthem or even future Arcam/Integra/Denon products if you want an all-around quality sound processor

2. the HT functions (audio) and menus are minimal in terms of optionality - is there any way to produce a firmware that can fix some of the problems such as:

a. remembering last inputs (every time I switch to AUX its starts of in ANALOG instead of OPTICAL which I use it for)
b. the dolby button sometimes does not work, gets stuck in EX mode - and then have to go to sub menu
c. there should be a PURE (call it BYPASS) mode for Mutli-Channel

I really like your product, but in order to stay competitive in this (HT - not 2-channel) market you need products that not only look good and sound good, but are flexible in terms of functionality.

cheers.

plivac

« Reply #28 on: 15 Apr 2008, 02:10 pm »
I just realized something that would be nice.....

have unique function settings for different inputs.... so DVD can be on DOLBY/MULTI automatically and CD can  be on BYPASS...etc

skiwrx

« Reply #29 on: 16 Apr 2008, 09:22 pm »
I have 9 v2 SE's fronts, 9 v1, for the other 5.  The best!! VMPS RM 30's.  Work great together.  Weak link is my Rotel 1068 pre/pro- even though it's decent.

I have just looked at the new Marrantz 8003, about to become available.  That unit defines the feature set for a modern pre/pro, in some ways similar features with Integra 9.8.  It will street between 2K and 2500.  I don't know if it will sound great, but if it does, it will be the one in that price range to beat.  I tried and was not impressed with the Cary 11, it sounded better than the Rotel (more slam, better dynamics, clarity, bass integration), but sounded edgy and unnatural in my room, and the features , including the EQ, were finicky to say the least. 

If NuForce offers something similar to the upcoming Marantz, and emphasizes SQ, NuForce is always my first choice, I just think they have the sound right and some of the best technology.  The amps are revealing and beautiful without being analytical.  I tried a lot of amps, nothing else came close.  I'd look for the same in the NuForce preamp.  I agree with Jason to focus on the 2K to 2500 range.

I also agree with others who have said here that NF should go with Cary's philosophy of focusing on sound - NF's strength.  I don't really care about the Video processing - I go directly from DVD player to TV any way.

So key features:  HDMI 1.3a for music playback, with passthrough, HD tuner, an EQ program and quality mic., very high quality audio processing for redbook, SACD, DVD-A, Dolby, DTS, etc processing, including HD master etc, great bass management with small increments of adjustment, good delay set up, SACD playback via HDMI, DVD-A playback via HDMI, and most of all, a really good analogue section (I have an external DAC), are key components for me.  It's mostly about the sound quality for NuForce customers and we want to use this unit to take advantage of all the sound formats.  If the 2 channel SQ is so good you don't need a separate 2 channel preamp, that would justify a 2500 or higher price tag.

(PS: Many have gone with the P9 for 2 channel greatness, and I understand that is an amazing, amazing piece.  With that, I'd love to see P9 quality with Parasound 2100 feature set for an HT bypass two channel pre)

My two cents, thanks for considering these ideas.  Pete

Toka

« Reply #30 on: 17 Apr 2008, 12:27 am »
I have no interest in a tuner being built in to an AVP...a good stand-alone tuner will kill any toss-in piece, especially if its full of "HD" crapola. I just want the lossless HD (as in, actual high definition) codecs, stellar (and well isolated) video processing/switching, and stereo and multi-channel "pure" (separate power supply) analog pass-through. The rest can be added per user need. At the moment, I feel that the Bryston SP2 is the standard to which all others shall be judged (cost no object) in terms of "last gen" gear, and if someone (like NuForce) could top/meet that at a better price point, I'll be sold.

skiwrx

« Reply #31 on: 18 Apr 2008, 12:29 am »
I have no interest in a tuner being built in to an AVP...a good stand-alone tuner will kill any toss-in piece, especially if its full of "HD" crapola. I just want the lossless HD (as in, actual high definition) codecs, stellar (and well isolated) video processing/switching, and stereo and multi-channel "pure" (separate power supply) analog pass-through. The rest can be added per user need. At the moment, I feel that the Bryston SP2 is the standard to which all others shall be judged (cost no object) in terms of "last gen" gear, and if someone (like NuForce) could top/meet that at a better price point, I'll be sold.

I guess the question for NuForce is how many of these priorities can they put into this, and try to stay in that 2 to 2.5K range, while maintaining really good SQ.  There are so many things we're asking a pre/pro to do now - AND - at the same time, provide great sound.  Kudos to Jason and the crew for taking our input into account.  Pete

plivac

« Reply #32 on: 2 May 2008, 03:42 pm »
So Jason/Casey.....

how are things going with the new AVP32 - we eagerly await some news..... have you thought about having some beta testers???

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #33 on: 3 May 2008, 08:44 pm »
We are still waiting for the HDMI decoding chipset to be certified and released to complete the prototype :(.  I don't expect AVP-32 until early 2009.

skiwrx

« Reply #34 on: 24 Jul 2008, 09:20 pm »
Hi Jason et al,

In case anyone is still following this threat....I've been experimenting with other pre/pros with 1.3 HDMI.  I can see why Jason is concerned with the time it will take to work out the bugs - there are authentication and handshake issues.

None of the units I'm trying have the sound quality I'm looking for.  It's making me rethink whether the wiring benefits of 1.3 are worth it yet.   Maybe the AMP16/17 approach really is best - provide really great analogue put throughs for SACD, Blueray, DVD-A, and internal decoding for CD, and standard DVD's.  IF that's the approach, you will need at least two and maybe three SETS of 7.1 channel inputs since there is no player I know of that does Blueray/master HD AND DVD-A and SACD that internally decodes all of those and sends it out via analogue jacks.

Long and short of it is, I can see the dilemma you guys are facing in the pre/pro arena.  Thanks for opening this forum.  P

If any question, I'm at pdmwrx@yahoo.com

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #35 on: 26 Jul 2008, 05:24 am »
We are considering a preamp (several sets of 7.1, including down mixing) specifically for this purpose. It is still on the drawing board though.

LowFi

« Reply #36 on: 5 Aug 2008, 07:11 am »
Aha..
May I hope this is a preamp with no radio/video capability's whatsoever, multiple 7.1 inputs and with a modular solution for the digital input (AVP16/17 capability) which will be upgradeable when AVP32 has peaked.

My situation:
PS3 with only digital output
5.1 capability
SD connected 5.1
Planning for HQ BD connected 5.1/7.1
(Bass mgnmnt, delay in BD-player due to avoid uncompress/re-compress issues)

DB0673

video delay
« Reply #37 on: 9 Aug 2008, 07:25 pm »
More and more Companies (Onkyo, Yamaha etc) are running into big trouble with their audio processing being too slow with the new lossless codecs . They might have put in a fixed 40ms delay even when the delay is at 0. This results in an uncorrectable lip sync issue. You should consider a video delay for the HDMI signal then the normal audio delay can sync things up

Read the threads on AVS forum under the Onkyo firmware update in the Receiver forum.

People are begging for a solution

Don't end up in the same box

At least don't have any built in audio delay

Of course you need audio delay also just no fixed amount added in to whatever you dial in
« Last Edit: 11 Aug 2008, 08:32 pm by DB0673 »

Psilonaught

« Reply #38 on: 17 Aug 2008, 10:51 am »
guys of those who have the AVP17 how does this stack up as a front channel DAC? I currently use the DAC version of the well respected Cairn FOG3 CDP but want to replace my crappy Sony AV amp with a processor but am concerned about the 2ch quality.

I was looking at a DAX Decade or Mark Levinson 30S, would the AVP17 get thrashed by these examples??

musicman06

« Reply #39 on: 19 Aug 2008, 05:04 am »
Psilonaught you may want to start a new thread or pull up one of the AVP17 threads here. This thread is for what people want in the yet to be released AVP32.

Anyway, I have the AVP16 which is basically the same as the 17. I prefer my Paradisea+ to the NuForce. The soundstage is much better with the DAC. The AVP16 is a good HT processor though. Also, the left surround channel did crap out on mine after maybe a year, though I think it was from a loose connection. Yet the amp was fine.