What equipment are you currently working on?

JoshK

Re: What equipment are you currently working on?
« Reply #100 on: 30 Aug 2009, 11:15 pm »
Dry fitting the baffle, threw in a woofer to see how it is gonna look.

mgalusha

« Reply #101 on: 31 Aug 2009, 02:23 am »
Very nice Josh, those are gonna move some air for sure.

56oval

« Reply #102 on: 31 Aug 2009, 04:00 am »
Hi Josh
Looking good is this the 15"AE .

Cheers

JoshK

« Reply #103 on: 31 Aug 2009, 01:16 pm »
Yeah it is a AE (Lambda) TD15X.  I have passive radiators ordered but still haven't heard word that they are shipping.  I'll probably try the boxes sealed and then with PRs. 

They should move some air alright.

JoshK

« Reply #104 on: 10 Sep 2009, 01:36 am »
I nick-named the above bass bins, Donner.  Thor has been done before.   I received the PRs and cut the holes today.  I bought the 2" OC 703 to line the cabinets with.  Inching closer, little by little.

mgalusha

« Reply #105 on: 10 Sep 2009, 11:14 am »
I am finally doing something about the bare MDF on my Abbeys. Nothing fancy as I am not a particularly good wood worker. I'm going to wrap them in glorious vinyl that looks sort of like oak and paint the front panel and compound corners with black satin. I have filled and sanded the holes and they seem pretty smooth. I've put a couple of coats of primer on the front and when sanded to 400 grit they feel smooth, I think one more coat and sanding and I'll try and hit them with some paint. They likely won't win any awards but they should look a lot better than they have for the last 8 months.

I'm trying to get this done before winter and since I spent most of the summer unable to walk from foot surgery I'm trying to cram some projects in the next few weeks, at least anything that requires warmth and fresh air.

JoshK

« Reply #106 on: 11 Sep 2009, 02:48 am »
I am finally doing something about the bare MDF on my Abbeys. Nothing fancy as I am not a particularly good wood worker. I'm going to wrap them in glorious vinyl that looks sort of like oak and paint the front panel and compound corners with black satin. I have filled and sanded the holes and they seem pretty smooth. I've put a couple of coats of primer on the front and when sanded to 400 grit they feel smooth, I think one more coat and sanding and I'll try and hit them with some paint. They likely won't win any awards but they should look a lot better than they have for the last 8 months.

I'm trying to get this done before winter and since I spent most of the summer unable to walk from foot surgery I'm trying to cram some projects in the next few weeks, at least anything that requires warmth and fresh air.

To date, finishing is my least favorite part of DIY.  Its probably cause I am not yet good at it and therefore it doesn't go smoothly.  I am taking my dear sweet time with my MT portion, learning as I go.  I picked up some single tube glazing putty yesterday, thanks to Dr. Geddes's thread.

I put in braces and lined the bass bins with the 703 and made up internal wiring harnesses today.  All this takes much more time than it looks.  Of course, I fiddle about.   Oh yeah, and I drilled holes for all the speakers to mount.  I countersunk the hurricane nuts and chamfered the back.  Drill presses are nice for adding these nice touches.  I also countersunk the speakon connector.  I am going to sink hurricane nuts for the feet, so that they can be removed/replaced. 

I went a little nutty professor with my bracing.  Its all done in golden ratio bi-sections.  I braced all three axes and all three are mutally golden ratio bisectors of the panels in both dimensions.  Basically, you draw a diagonal on the wall you join to.  Measure this diagonal, call it D, divide by 2.618 (1+phi).  Measure and mark this distance on the diagonal.  This point bisects both sides of the panel at golden ratios. 

56oval

« Reply #107 on: 11 Sep 2009, 03:19 am »
Well the cabinets are finally getting CNC'ed it wasn't worth me buying any wood working tool's .
Andrew who is CNCing the cab's for me , own's his own speaker building company http://www.aslanacoustics.com.au/   and bought himself a cnc router .I asked him if he would be interested in one off projects and he said send me a drawing ,so here is the job.
This is a google render I done

The front baffle will be done in 20mm thick 5086 alloy with the ply having a inner & out alloy skin skin,the dowels are 10mm alloy rod spaced 50mm apart .

Cheers

Mal

TomS

DIY Pass Labs Aleph J and Aleph J-X clones
« Reply #108 on: 11 Sep 2009, 07:21 pm »
Just started another Pass DIY project and have been accumulating parts.  This is based on a new PCB Peter Daniel just did which allows either an Aleph J as stereo (4 MOSFETS per ch) or pairing up 2 boards with a single daughter board for an Aleph J-X monoblock version (8 MOSFETS per monoblock).  I am building up the J first, then perhaps try the X version since I liked Zybar's AJ-X a lot on my CS2 compression drivers (now gone).  While I'm told the DIY AJ-X isn't quite up to the sweet Pass XA30.5 sonically, it should be a fun effort using bare hands and modest cash.  Still a lot of heavy metal in this one though.  Power supply PCB's are CViller's CRC with Panasonic TSHA 22k uf x 8 each,  Mills resistors, IXYS VBE 55-06NO7 FRED bridges.  They also have the option to go offboard CLC if you so desire and have the iron and space.  Transformers are still TBD as I didn't really want to tear my F4's or F5 apart just yet to scavenge those.  Using Peter's F4, F5, and AJ boards' hole spacing, these sinks and PS will be modular such that it is a very simple swap of the signal boards with just a few screws on the MOSFETs, 2 signal/3 power/2 output wires, and quick re-bias.  Fortunately, the power supplies are common to all of the FirstWatt designs.  And yes, those 7-legged critters are real live 2SJ109's  :green:

Thank you again to NP for sharing this design with the solder slingers (for personal use only!).

Tom

JoshK

« Reply #109 on: 11 Sep 2009, 07:45 pm »
Looks cool Tom.

JoshK

« Reply #110 on: 11 Sep 2009, 07:57 pm »
Some progress pictures...

56oval

« Reply #111 on: 12 Sep 2009, 01:28 am »
Hi Josh
Which cabinets are these for and what drivers .

Cheers

JoshK

« Reply #112 on: 12 Sep 2009, 02:06 am »
Yeah it is a AE (Lambda) TD15X.  I have passive radiators ordered but still haven't heard word that they are shipping.  I'll probably try the boxes sealed and then with PRs. 

They should move some air alright.

These ones.  AE TD15Xs with two PR15-1400gs each.

JoshK

« Reply #113 on: 12 Sep 2009, 03:58 pm »
In case scale isn't obvious, those are 12" x 12" tiles.

56oval

« Reply #114 on: 25 Sep 2009, 05:58 pm »
Here's a couple pic's of the alloy front baffle's .

Cheers

mgalusha

« Reply #115 on: 27 Sep 2009, 02:42 am »
Those baffles are very cool. Should make for a nice dead structure.  :thumb:

mgalusha

« Reply #116 on: 27 Sep 2009, 02:48 am »
Finally put a finish on my Abbeys, not going to win any awards but it's much better than raw MDF. I painted the front satin black and clear coated that. The rest of the cabinet is wrapped in state of the art vinyl from Parts Express.  :roll: They look better than I expected and pretty good when the lights are off. ;)

While I had them apart I lined the inside of the cabinet with No-Rez from GR Research and also changed out one crosssover cap as Earl had revised the crossover slightly from when I first built them. I have to say the results are more than I expected. The addition of the No-Rez seems to have freed the music from the speakers a bit, likely the cabinets are quieter.

I'll try and snap a photo or two tomorrow, too tired tonight to do anything but listen to music and check out AC.

mike

56oval

« Reply #117 on: 27 Sep 2009, 03:32 am »
Finally put a finish on my Abbeys, not going to win any awards but it's much better than raw MDF. I painted the front satin black and clear coated that. The rest of the cabinet is wrapped in state of the art vinyl from Parts Express.  :roll: They look better than I expected and pretty good when the lights are off. ;)

While I had them apart I lined the inside of the cabinet with No-Rez from GR Research and also changed out one crosssover cap as Earl had revised the crossover slightly from when I first built them. I have to say the results are more than I expected. The addition of the No-Rez seems to have freed the music from the speakers a bit, likely the cabinets are quieter.

I'll try and snap a photo or two tomorrow, too tired tonight to do anything but listen to music and check out AC.

mike
Hi Mike
I was looking at getting Dr Earl's speaker kit ,but the Oz dollars went south really quick and put a stop to it ,maybe next year a Summa kit would be cool .

He's a pick of the striplam's stack with the baffle

Cheers
Mal

JoshK

« Reply #118 on: 27 Sep 2009, 06:56 pm »
Those are cool baffles!

Yesterday I did some spot glazing and primer coats on my MT baffles.  One baffle is done to the point of ready for sanding and painting, the other is close. 

I need to get some wood filler for the bins.  I also don't have quite enough veneer to cover them.  I need to order some more.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #119 on: 1 Oct 2009, 10:32 pm »

Hi Mike
I was looking at getting Dr Earl's speaker kit ,but the Oz dollars went south really quick and put a stop to it ,maybe next year a Summa kit would be cool .

He's a pick of the striplam's stack with the baffle

Cheers
Mal

Looks like you are going for that 'Magico' look. Very cool.

Anand.