BOT as a transport

schmidtmike76

BOT as a transport
« on: 2 Jul 2016, 01:22 pm »
Can I use the BOT as a transport into my BDA-2.  I dont want a CD player as I have this dac just looking for a transport better than the sony blu ray Im using now.  Thanks Mike

srb

Re: BOT as a transport
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jul 2016, 01:32 pm »
From the Bryston webpage:

"The BOT-1 is not a traditional CD transport as it requires a BDP to operate."

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2 on: 3 Jul 2016, 12:50 am »
There is a new red book CD player expected this fall, possibly sooner

schmidtmike76

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jul 2016, 01:11 pm »
I see there is but if I have the BDA-2 I may as well utilize it on someway. My understanding is that the dac used in the player would be better than the bda-2, I could be wrong on that.

Haurock

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jul 2016, 04:31 pm »
Based on what I have been led to understand the BOT-1 can be used as a transport, but only with a BDP.  You cannot use it as a transports with BDA's or any other DAC for that matter.  The primary purpose of the BOT-1 is to RIP CD's for your BDP.  I'm also led to understand that there is no sound difference between playing the CD via the BOT-1 or listening to the 'Ripped' version. 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #5 on: 5 Jul 2016, 05:24 pm »
Hi

Sorry just noticed this.

The BOT can only be used with the BDP-2.  It can act as a CD Player or as a CD Ripper.

The advantage of using it as a CD player through the BDP-2 is the quality is determined by the BDP-2 not the Drive. So you are listening to the digital buffered rip of the CD not the CD itself.

james

Marius

« Reply #6 on: 5 Jul 2016, 08:56 pm »
Hi

Sorry just noticed this.

The BOT can only be used with the BDP-2.  It can act as a CD Player or as a CD Ripper.

The advantage of using it as a CD player through the BDP-2 is the quality is determined by the BDP-2 not the Drive. So you are listening to the digital buffered rip of the CD not the CD itself.

james

HI James,

Having played with a 'fake' BOT for some time now, i like to say it is really kinda cool to have this option indeed.
The BOT might be primarily designed to be the ultimate ripper, though my experience is that is done more easily in other ways.

Being able to throw in the CD however, have the BOT read it, and the BDP play it from the buffered memory is a very nice optional step up. If the software recognizes the cd, it is even better than on the BCD, since one has no visual feedback of what's playing, other than the track number.

Btw, will the BCD2 show track titles ea? Will it play like the BCD1, or use BDP techniques ('rip' to memory and play from the buffer)?

Cheers,
Marius

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #7 on: 5 Jul 2016, 09:00 pm »

HI James,

Having played with a 'fake' BOT for some time now, i like to say it is really kinda cool to have this option indeed.
The BOT might be primarily designed to be the ultimate ripper, though my experience is that is done more easily in other ways.

Being able to throw in the CD however, have the BOT read it, and the BDP play it from the buffered memory is a very nice optional step up. If the software recognizes the cd, it is even better than on the BCD, since one has no visual feedback of what's playing, other than the track number.

Btw, will the BCD2 show track titles ea? Will it play like the BCD1, or use BDP techniques ('rip' to memory and play from the buffer)?

Cheers,
Marius

Hi Marius

The BCD3 will be like the BCD-1 as it is a dedicated CD Drive whereas the BOT is a DVD BluRay drive.

james

Krutsch

« Reply #8 on: 5 Jul 2016, 09:09 pm »
Hi Marius

The BCD3 will be like the BCD-1 as it is a dedicated CD Drive whereas the BOT is a DVD BluRay drive.

james

It would be magic if the BOT-1 could play the audio tracks of DVDs, Blu-ray discs and even SACD (transcoding to 88.2/24 or 176.4/16, like most of the consumer BD players do now). Then, connected to a BDP for buffered playback, you would really have something special.

Marius

« Reply #9 on: 5 Jul 2016, 09:13 pm »
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=143966.msg1539451#msg1539451

Marius

Hi Marius

james

BCD-3 of course , excuse my typo  :duh:

Thanks James . How come your proto displays text info :

Marius

« Reply #10 on: 5 Jul 2016, 09:15 pm »
It would be magic if the BOT-1 could play the audio tracks of DVDs, Blu-ray discs and even SACD (transcoding to 88.2/24 or 176.4/16, like most of the consumer BD players do now). Then, connected to a BDP for buffered playback, you would really have something special.

+1 big time.

schmidtmike76

« Reply #11 on: 6 Jul 2016, 04:49 pm »
I see myself going into the Pi this fall but in the mean time I didn't want to use a blu Ray but in all and all it sounds okay for what it is. 

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #12 on: 7 Jul 2016, 04:36 am »
+1 big time.

That'd get me to buy one.

Grant Hill

« Reply #13 on: 7 Jul 2016, 04:49 pm »
+1 big time.

Yes that would be great, but I don't think it is possible to transcode DSD file from a sacd to external digital player or a Dac (unless with HDMI). Also blue-ray's tracks would be limited to 48/24...

XMAN

« Reply #14 on: 26 Jul 2016, 01:55 pm »
Yes that would be great, but I don't think it is possible to transcode DSD file from a sacd to external digital player or a Dac (unless with HDMI). Also blue-ray's tracks would be limited to 48/24...
+1

Krutsch

« Reply #15 on: 26 Jul 2016, 03:15 pm »

Many Blu-ray players do this now, either as 176.4/16 or 88.2/24 from the digital coax port. Try it with a newer player. My Pioneer BDP-80FD does this and I can verify the 88.2 sample rate from my DAC connection. I also have a cheap Sony BD player that does this at 176.4.

Blu-ray is an issue with the required HDCP handshake to output high-resolution audio, but with a license, it's technically possible.