Amplifiers

Osirir

Amplifiers
« on: 17 Mar 2016, 03:57 pm »
Any body had any experience with an amplifier with no serial #

Osirir

Re: Amplifiers
« Reply #1 on: 17 Mar 2016, 04:06 pm »
I bought an Amplifier from a well known Company not long ago. The Amplifier started going off an on a few times, when I notified the Company they requested me to look for the serial # but there was not any serial # on the Amp. Should I get my money back? Any avise will be appreciated. Thanks Osiris.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #2 on: 17 Mar 2016, 04:21 pm »
No serial number anywhere? Call them, explain the situation and ask them where you should look.

Out of curiosity, did you buy it direct from the manufacturer, a dealer, or...?

Osirir

« Reply #3 on: 17 Mar 2016, 04:48 pm »
Hi. Thanks for your reply. Yes I bought it directly from manufacture. When I informed them  they told me were to look for it but there was none. Later they reply that there was no serial # on that model. Is this acceptable in the Audio community? Is these normal??? Thanks Osiris

Wind Chaser

« Reply #4 on: 17 Mar 2016, 05:43 pm »
It's certainly not the norm.

Osirir

Re:
« Reply #5 on: 22 Mar 2016, 07:06 pm »
Quote from: Osirir link=topic=141676.msg1511051#msg1511051 date=1458230261
[/quote

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #6 on: 23 Mar 2016, 01:41 pm »
OK, so here's what happened.  Last year, I sold someone the FIRST production Cherry Amp ever made, upgraded with a 1500W transformer, clearly marked "001" (serial number) on the back, in NEAR PERFECT condition, completely re-tested, re-packaged, and at a HUGE discount (like 80%) because the customer claimed to be having hard times financially.  Hey, I happened to have the amp as a trade-in, and I believe in right-place/right-time.  I was using it as my every day listening amp for a few months and wanted to switch to Maraschinos when I had a demo available, and I just received a pair back.

After the first few Cherry amps were produced, we changed to putting serial numbers on the bottom of the unit.

I received a message from an unrecognized name, a female name (just so happens, we've never shipped a Cherry amp to a female, but that's a topic for another day), on facebook asking where the serial number was located.  I said "the bottom", then I received another message, an email, this time from the web site form, saying that there is no serial number, and the amp appears to have an issue with the power going on and off.  Having never had a problem like this, I asked the customer to ship the amp back.  Then I get another message, this time over regular email, demanding a full refund (including shipping costs both ways) for the "amp with no serial number", threatening to ruin my company's reputation if I don't comply!

We examined the returned amplifier and took photos.  The serial number was clearly on the back of the unit, but something much worse was discovered....

Here's what we found:
1. RCA to XLR adapters were provided. They were two part adapters with removable GND lift. The GND lift portion is missing.
2. The circuit breaker and mounting hardware were mangled.
3. The serial number was on the BACK of the amp.  #001!
4. A power cord was provided and not returned.
5. The chassis was obviously opened as all of the lid screw heads were distorted.
6. The power transformer was loose.  It was certainly not shipped this way.
7. The XLR input screw heads were ALL distorted. We don't ship anything that way.
8. The wiring to the breaker looks like it was removed and put back incorrectly.  The wires appear damaged.

The original packing box was not used to return the amp.  It wasn't packaged very well, but somehow escaped shipping damage (or so we believe).  That's also a shame because the shipping container is WAY expensive to make.  Anyone that has ever purchased from us KNOWS the effort that goes into assuring safe shipment even under the occasionally rough hands of the shipping industry.  We take pride in our packaging, especially when it comes to Classic Cherry packaging.  Foam pads on all 6 sides, reinforced bottom, a work of art!

Photos below....

We will attempt to reverse all the damage and fix this beautiful and historic amp.  Then, we will offer it up to a good home.  It will be re-tested and re-packaged once again.

We expect that, every so often, this kind of thing happens to all small businesses.  Thanks for reading about it, and comments are welcome.

Circuit Breaker:

Serial Number:

Screw damage 1:

Screw damage 2:

XLR screw damage:

Wire damage inside:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: 23 Mar 2016, 01:54 pm »
Why are the XLR jacks installed upside down?   :nono:
[/quote]

XLR screw damage:

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #8 on: 23 Mar 2016, 01:58 pm »
Why are the XLR jacks installed upside down?   :nono:
To avoid being too close to the binding posts.  We make all Classic Cherries that way and never received any complaints about it.  Thanks for your post, JW.

-Tommy O

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #9 on: 23 Mar 2016, 02:06 pm »
By the way, the amp works fine when the wires to the circuit breaker are "pushed to the side"....

I'm confident that replacing the damaged wiring will bring the amp back functionally, but we want to fix the aesthetic damage as well.  New breaker, new screws, possibly new XLRs, new transformer mounting hardware, and maybe, just maybe, we'll give it the last pair of servo modulators we have in stock....  If anything, this amp brought back lots of memories and kind of put it all in perspective.  We've come a long way since the first Cherry!  It's the 20th anniversary year of Digital Amp Co, by the way.  We now have a great product line, including the new Stereo Maraschino, and soon production of our first non-amp product, the DAC DAC.

When we have the time (shipping out orders currently), we will tidy up this first Cherry and post a photo or two....

Thanks again for reading.

kedoades

« Reply #10 on: 23 Mar 2016, 04:15 pm »
  Hi,  wow that is an interesting story.  I have an original 4800a and was wondering if this cherry would be an upgrade.  I am saving for a preamp but if this is an opportunity to upgrade amp then I would be interested.  Please let me know.   thanks

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #11 on: 23 Mar 2016, 06:03 pm »
  Hi,  wow that is an interesting story.  I have an original 4800a and was wondering if this cherry would be an upgrade.  I am saving for a preamp but if this is an opportunity to upgrade amp then I would be interested.  Please let me know.   thanks
It depends on the transformer and motherboard revision, but considering the 1500W monster in this Cherry amp, it's probably a significant upgrade.  Any interest in upgrading to the servo modulators?  We can also upgrade to gold Dayton posts or even gold WBTs.  New gold contact XLRs are also possible.  The servo boards were a limited edition upgrade, and the newer posts were only on the most recent DAC4800As.  I sent a PM....  Some newer DAC4800As were upgraded with Cherry motherboards.  The oldest Cherry amps were nearly identical internally to DAC4800A.  Do you happen to know what year yours was built?  Thanks.

-Tommy O

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #12 on: 23 Mar 2016, 06:16 pm »
Note the old faceplate style and massive transformer!

kedoades

« Reply #13 on: 23 Mar 2016, 06:23 pm »
   Hi Tommy,  I bought the amp used off of audiogon about 5 years ago.  I will check the serial number when I get home.  I will send you a email the email you provided later tonite thanks,  Kent

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #14 on: 31 Mar 2016, 01:24 am »
   Hi Tommy,  I bought the amp used off of audiogon about 5 years ago.  I will check the serial number when I get home.  I will send you a email the email you provided later tonite thanks,  Kent
Message sent....

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #15 on: 31 Mar 2016, 01:34 am »
Note the old faceplate style and massive transformer!

Repair list:
1. Replace circuit breaker
2. Replace internal AC wiring
3. Re-mount transformer
4. Replace mounting hardware for XLRs, AC MAINS, faceplate, and lid (all in black)
5. Re-mount modules and re-seat connectors after cleaning

The "nice stuff" (optional, extra $$$$):
6. New XLRs with Gold Neutrik connectors and new input wiring
7. New Dayton Gold binding posts (currently old fashioned Krell-type posts)
8. New servo modulator boards

Hmmmmmm.  I'm starting to want this amp for myself (:

Send a PM if interested in the refurbished First Cherry!  Thanks.

-Tommy O

kedoades

« Reply #16 on: 6 Apr 2016, 06:26 pm »
  Well I was going to get a tube preamp but jumped on this amp.  It will be replacing a dac4800a which I will use for a basement system that I will be working on.

Osirir

Re: Inline Maraschinos with 48V power supplied.
« Reply #17 on: 7 Apr 2016, 08:08 pm »
Hi I just received a pair of In-line Maraschinos with 48V PS I didn't think much when I opened the shipping container. I hooked them up to a Blue circle Despina 3 Preamplifier with ATC SCM 11 V2 speakers listening to Nora Jones and Waoooo this litter Beast sound out of this world. I set them up behind the TV and my wife asked me were was the Amplifier. The sound of this little gems make you wanted to listen to music tide bass silky midrange with no top end distortion. I would like to see what they come up with next. Great Amps. Thanks Tommy. Osirir

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Re: Inline Maraschinos with 48V power supplied.
« Reply #18 on: 7 Apr 2016, 09:15 pm »
Hi I just received a pair of In-line Maraschinos with 48V PS I didn't think much when I opened the shipping container. I hooked them up to a Blue circle Despina 3 Preamplifier with ATC SCM 11 V2 speakers listening to Nora Jones and Waoooo this litter Beast sound out of this world. I set them up behind the TV and my wife asked me were was the Amplifier. The sound of this little gems make you wanted to listen to music tide bass silky midrange with no top end distortion. I would like to see what they come up with next. Great Amps. Thanks Tommy. Osirir

It must be the speakers.  :green:

Osirir

« Reply #19 on: 7 Apr 2016, 09:25 pm »
Jajaja. No I tried the speakers with out the Amplifier before an there was no sound coming out of them  :icon_lol: