Help selecting a sub driver for HT application

Christof

« on: 21 Oct 2004, 02:30 am »
I posted the same q? over on the DIY boards but thought I'd give you folks a try too.  I'm building a set (5) of Stryke Audio's S1-MTM speakers for myself and would like to build a sub to integrate with this HT system.  I'm 2-ch guy so this is new territory for me so please bare with me.  The 5.1 sys will be drive with a HT receiver and I'd like to go active wit the sub using a plate amp and unknown driver.  Design criteria:

1. 3.0 cu.ft or less
2. Fast, articulate bass prefered over loose, earth quake bass
3. 12" driver
4. Front firing config
5. 14 x 24 room size
6. Integrate well with the S1 design (see link below for Freq Res graph):

http://yellow.mynethost.com/~bv126368/shop/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=48&osCsid=aa074ae265937db8a80b92e3634f5f4b

Enclosure will be similar this:

http://www.msnusers.com/SpeakerCabs/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=9

Thanks for any input
Chris

bubba966

« Reply #1 on: 21 Oct 2004, 02:34 am »
I'd pick up Adire's 12" XBL^2 driver. I don't recall what they're calling it. The 10" & 15" models I've heard, and have never been more impressed with a driver than when listening to either size driver. I've not heard the 12" version, so I can't comment on it specifically. But you're not going to find one better...

Christof

« Reply #2 on: 22 Oct 2004, 12:47 am »
Bubba966

Coukd it possibly be the AV12?

bubba966

« Reply #3 on: 22 Oct 2004, 05:22 am »
I don't see an AV12 listed on Adire's site. But I also don't see any mention of the 10" or 12" XBL^2 drivers.

I know that CSS sells the Adire 10" XBL^2 driver. I'll have to dig up their site and see if they have Adire's 12" XBL^2 driver.

bubba966

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: 22 Oct 2004, 05:46 am »
The Tumult would work well in a 3 cu ft sealed box, if you don't mind the cost ($500). You need a powerful amp to get the most out of it.

A DPL12 would work fairly well too if you don't need that kind of output. It's not XBL.

bubba966

« Reply #6 on: 22 Oct 2004, 05:56 am »
True, the Tumult does work very well in that sized box. And it does indeed require a good amount of juice in that sized box as well.

The Sadhara driver (12" XBL^2) shouldn't require nearly as much power as the Tumult (15" XBL^2) does in the same 3 cu ft box.

But as John says, if you don't mind the $500 for the Tumult, and can get a big amp to run it (Crown K2 or QSC 3402), and don't mind that it's a 15" driver, and not a 12" driver, go for the Tumult.

timkeeler

« Reply #7 on: 22 Oct 2004, 06:52 am »
Another option is the new sub driver from GR Research.  Haven't heard it myself yet.  See the GR circle for more details.

http://www.gr-research.com/sub.htm

_scotty_

« Reply #8 on: 22 Oct 2004, 12:55 pm »
I would look very hard at the 12in. Titanic Mark III woofer from Parts Express and a Hypex digital plate amp. This would be a very tight sounding combination. Scotty

Christof

« Reply #9 on: 22 Oct 2004, 04:41 pm »
Thanks guys for the ideas.  I'm afraid a Tumult is a bit over budget for this project as it demands a pretty powerful $$ amp.  This is a temp HT system based on an X1 Projector, Stryke S1-MTM's, HT receiver and ??sub.  This system is just to get my feet wet. Once I get a feel for my needs in a HT system I'll sell this system and have someone (Selah, GR or Jim Salk) design a  system based on my determined needs.

Has anyone had experience with the Stryke AV12mkII?

From the Stryke site:

AV12 Vented/PR Enclosures
Mini Thunder PR 16" cube dual 12" 970g PR F3 22Hz
Thunder 12.3 3 cubic foot dual 15" 1400g PR F3 17.9Hz
4 cubic foot EBS alignment Fb 18Hz  F3 16hz

http://www.stryke.com/AVseries.html

thanks...c.

jackman

« Reply #10 on: 22 Oct 2004, 06:47 pm »
Haven't seen the Stryke driver but I hear they are a good company and I believe the driver is designed and manufactured by a reputable firm, TC Sounds (I believe).  I have seen the new GR Research passive radiator and it's a thing of beauty.  Very well constructed aluminum frame.  I would imagine the PR and driver would be a great combo in that cube.

Good luck!

J

John_E_Janowitz

• www.aespeakers.com
« Reply #11 on: 6 Nov 2004, 05:59 am »
I just wanted to comment our AV woofers.  We are now building all woofers in house.  We had too many problems with delays in supply and extremely poor build quality from our previous supplier.  We had explored several options for supply and came to the conclusion that building them in house was the best option.  I can now control supply of parts and keep track of build quality.  Each woofer is serial numbered by hand with a little sticker.  We keep track of who built each woofer, which parts went into them, and even which glues were used.  If there is ever a problem we can pinpoint exactly where it came from.  They do all have a 3yr warranty that covers any defects on our end.  

AV woofers are currently out of stock until December.  We have bought out Lambda Acoustics and have all of their woofers to offer now.  We also have PR's in 12" and 15" currently in stock.

John