Felix project

Folsom

Re: Felix project
« Reply #440 on: 25 Jul 2014, 08:16 pm »
I don't know what you have access to for measurements, but perhaps you could do a comparison between the two? Leakage inductance is close to differential attenuation, but how close in these units? I'd love to know. They are toroidal, and I'm not certain how much that factors in. Either way I'd say they look great but it all depends on the amperage needs.

rdsu

« Reply #441 on: 25 Jul 2014, 11:59 pm »
Unfortunately, I only have my ears for measurements...  :wink:

rdsu

« Reply #442 on: 30 Aug 2014, 01:25 pm »
I have the JW Miller 8118-RC, as you can see in the above pictures, so it will be easy to replace for a CMT4-10-15...

This Coilcraft CMT are excellent, and I only discovered them after saw a post from Occam... Thanks Paul! ;)

I finally changed the Amplifier choke from JW Miller 8118-RC to Coilcraft CMT4-10-15L, and the final result improved the SQ...

Folsom

« Reply #443 on: 1 Sep 2014, 07:30 pm »
JW Miller doesn't post their specs of attenuation (I don't think), but the Coilcraft concentrates more the khz range, and the JW Miller wire size if congruent with other ones is probably more towards mhz.

Some things really benefit from khz area attenuation.

rdsu

« Reply #444 on: 1 Sep 2014, 11:37 pm »
Yes, we don't know the JW Miller attenuation, but for their size and specs it seems similar to CMT3-7-9L...

So, maybe the attenuation could be around 300-400kHz 40-50db, but this is just a probability...

I will use it for a SMPS CLC filter.

noobhacker

« Reply #445 on: 5 Oct 2014, 07:55 am »
greetings everyone, i have been messing around felix filter for years because it works, proven by my ears A/B comparison since "my first revision"
https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/2687806/all
(mods please remove this link if it's not allowed to do so)

I had zero electrical knowledge from school so I really not sure if I'm doing them right

This is my first revision, that is not CMC so i moved to the second revision

This is my second revision, started to put the filter inside my dac, but...

That was a very bad and dangerous design, I also heard that Y capacitors help in filtering so i added them...

My third revision, removed those Y capacitors to follow the original felix design, with Silver plated OCC wires connected, but its extremely friggle

My fourth revision, put one more CMC since i ordered in bulk, had 10 of them.
this is a very stable revision but it is still placed in a DAC, I had been messing around modding DAC without professional electrical knowledge so I've replaced a lot of parts and burnt a lot of money. I've bought another DAC and decided not to do any modding on it.

I decided to do this, just plug to the AC input of DAC then the current is clean. I have several questions :
1. I've read that more mH of the CMC will do the filtering better, so I placed 2, let them parallel with 20mH each, is my logic correct?
2. Also, will those coilcraft CMC does the job better than mine? I can't find that kind of CMC here.
3. Will adding Y capacitors does the job even better?
4. How much voltage is required for those capacitor? more voltage = better? because smaller voltage will bring closer loop due to their small size, also those capacitors are DC rated. If I decided to make a new ones with shorter closed loop, I can only find 4.7,0.47,0.01 uf here

Thanks

Folsom

« Reply #446 on: 8 Oct 2014, 12:32 am »
1. No parallel won't do much. You're better off following the second set of capacitors with a CMC and then adding a third set of capacitors.
2. Coilcraft makes some fine CMC's, ordering direct may be the only way to get them.
3. Yes and no. Don't add Hot to safety ground Y capacitors. You can use very large to small ones from Neutral to safety ground. **Be sure your neutral and hot are not mixed** More capacitance here is preferred, with multiple capacitors. I use large amounts but as Occam has pointed out, precautions need to be taken to insure neutral and hot are not mixed.
4. What's your countries voltage at the wall? Try to go double. 120v, go for 250v+. If you're at 250v you may only be able to get up to 330-400v.

5. YOU NEED TO HAVE PROPER SIZED CMC AND WIRE FOR THE AMPERAGE OF THE LOAD. The CMC should be rated as 2x the amperage of the device plugged into this filter (your DAC it sounds like). DAC = 3A then CMC should be 5-8A area. Do not use a 3A CMC on a 3A load (DAC or whatever). You need to run wire along the whole distance, that tiny silver stuff may not be large enough. The wires that go from one end of the filter, to the CMC, and from the CMC to the other end, need to be properly sized for amperage. Just solder isn't advisable, nor is tinsel sized silver wire. Your power cables are probably 14-10ga, for example. I don't know all the information, I just know I'd want a more robust current capable wire than solder/tiny silver for safety and quality.

6. DAMN dude, you can post pictures here with diagrams or markings, anything, so we can tell you if it's remotely safe. We aren't liable for your home project but we sure as hell don't want you to get hurt. Some members will tell you not to touch it. I'm fairly certain you can learn, but let's help you do it safely.
« Last Edit: 8 Oct 2014, 03:02 pm by Salis Audio »

ZAKski288

« Reply #447 on: 8 Oct 2014, 04:05 am »
Need a little help with the Felix project (DC Blocker wiring from Gordy reply# 213, page 11 )  I'm not too knowledgeable about electronics schematics.  Just an audio enthusiast. I took some pictures of what I have  but NEED a little direction Thanks in advance.  Ken

Caps are Nichicon 3300uF 35V HE(M), Diode bridge rectifier 35A

« Last Edit: 9 Oct 2014, 12:26 am by ZAKski288 »

ZAKski288

« Reply #448 on: 8 Oct 2014, 04:17 am »
I still have more to wire up :o

Folsom

« Reply #449 on: 8 Oct 2014, 04:23 am »
The positive side of the capacitor is the long lead. It appears there is a jumper between pin 1 & 4 on the bridge.

The capacitors connect to pin 2 & 3. However one capacitors goes long lead to 2, short to 3, and the other long to 3 and short to 2.

Long leads are B and D.

Here's a tip, on the Felix, criss-cross the wires between capacitors if you can.

Folsom

« Reply #450 on: 8 Oct 2014, 04:26 am »
Oh and some of your solder joints look cold perhaps. Make sure the solder runs onto both capacitor/cmc lead and wire.

You can add a little solder to the lead prior (easy) and some to wire prior to combination; you'll see it runs onto it.

ZAKski288

« Reply #451 on: 8 Oct 2014, 05:37 am »
Thanks for your great expertise (Salis Audio) I'll give it a try tomorrow, also thanks for the tip on soldering I'll go back and add a little solder
      Thanks again Ken

Occam

« Reply #452 on: 8 Oct 2014, 01:58 pm »
I had zero electrical knowledge from school so I really not sure if I'm doing them right

3. Yes and no. Don't add Hot to safety ground Y capacitors. You can use very large to small ones from Neutral to safety ground. For example 300-100uf in parallel with a 50-10uf and 1uf-.1uf, will work and doesn't have to be as high of voltage or rated Y/X. It's smart to have Y/X rated ones in this position but the odds are closer to lottery status of needing that in that position.

6. DAMN dude, you can post pictures here with diagrams or markings, anything, so we can tell you if it's remotely safe. We aren't liable for your home project but we sure as hell don't want you to get hurt. Some members will tell you not to touch it. I'm fairly certain you can learn, but let's help you do it safely.

The Felix project was developed with the following safety considerations in mind -
Reversed Hot and Neutral from a receptacle is not considered a wiring 'fault' by safety rating agencies, and any appliance plugged into such a mis-wired receptacle, should function properly under non fault conditions.  Under fault conditions, such as an open safety ground [and many folks foolishly use cheaters to purposely do this to address ground loop hum], the Felix will continue to function. 
3, above does not satisfy any of those standard conditions. A reversed hot and neutral along with an open saftety ground will put enough AC an a normally grounded chassis to kill.

Folsom

« Reply #453 on: 8 Oct 2014, 02:45 pm »
Good point Occam

Sure, it doesn't include Y capacitors. If someone has improper wiring they should address it, or check. Any wall recepticle with ground should not have these reversed (not code). If you search for Y capacitors you'll eventually find information on using higher capacitance, but it may not mention this potential.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #454 on: 8 Oct 2014, 09:58 pm »
An absolute safety rule is:
Any and all capacitors used in an AC power line circuit need to have an 'X' or 'Y' safety rating!
Whether it's 'X' or 'Y' depends on the location in the circuit.

Note that the word 'fault' has the meaning of short circuit.  Not the meaning - error.

A great article on troubleshooting wiring errors by an audio guy.

Failures in Outlet Testing Exposed
Jul 15, 2013 Mike Sokol | Electrical Construction and Maintenance

http://ecmweb.com/contractor/failures-outlet-testing-exposed

Folsom

« Reply #455 on: 9 Oct 2014, 03:33 pm »
An absolute safety rule is:
Any and all capacitors used in an AC power line circuit need to have an 'X' or 'Y' safety rating!
Whether it's 'X' or 'Y' depends on the location in the circuit.

Note that the word 'fault' has the meaning of short circuit.  Not the meaning - error.

A great article on troubleshooting wiring errors by an audio guy.

Failures in Outlet Testing Exposed
Jul 15, 2013 Mike Sokol | Electrical Construction and Maintenance

http://ecmweb.com/contractor/failures-outlet-testing-exposed

X and Y capacitors are guaranteed to fail in a predictable manner (not in flames). Right or wrong,  companies selling products in the power conditioning realm are not using them, I guess they're not worried? Just so everyone knows, Digikey allows search parameters for X and Y capacities.

A capacitor from neutral to ground, if always neutral to ground, isn't an issue; if always true. Perhaps a disconnect circuit would be a worthwhile idea. But also the grounding scheme can leave a chassis not hotter than were you to touch a hot plug blade and the chassis simultaneously.

WireNut

« Reply #456 on: 11 May 2017, 10:20 pm »
I realize this is an old thread, but I'd like to ask if the Circuit boards for the Felix are still available ?

richidoo

« Reply #457 on: 12 May 2017, 12:28 am »
I still have my unbuilt stuff from the original group buy. PM if interested.

rtate

« Reply #458 on: 16 Oct 2017, 06:25 pm »
I know I may be "beating a dead horse" here but I would like to get some Felix boards if anybody has any kicking around that they aren't using    :wink:

richidoo

« Reply #459 on: 16 Oct 2017, 11:08 pm »
PM sent