Headphone amp sought

lcrim

Headphone amp sought
« on: 5 Apr 2008, 10:30 pm »
A few weeks back I read the review on 6 Moons of the Glow Audio Amp One and ordered one.  I figured how can you go wrong for $500.  Well' I've fallen in love with it and the reason I mention it here is that it has a headphone output.  I have a number of inexpensive headphones about and plugged in a pair of Grado SR-60's.  Actually, first I had to put some plumbers mylar tape around the 1/4" male plug so it would stop short of fully home by a little bit and than both channels worked at the same time.  Then I got my first understanding of the "headphone thing."  It was very, very nice.  The Grado's put out a thick, rich sound w/ head bobbing bass.  Maybe the treble wanders a bit but nice mids and these are cheap cans.  I unplugged and realized that I could turn up the sub because the cans were making so much more interesting tonal colors with their thick sound than my Hemps were doing.  Well that was rectified but I do find myself at least checking music I know very well to find out how it sounds through my new discovery.  I ordered a 15' cable extender and some better earpieces for the SR-60's and a pair of Audio Technica ATH M50's. 
I also have a bedroom system which has no headphone amp.  I was hoping for some cost sensitive suggestions for an amp to add to that system.  There isn't much room or budget but when my daughter stays over I have to stop listening to music when she goes to bed and  many times I want to keep listening, so I'm justifying the outlay on that basis.  I don't think a $500 Bada H12 is quite justified but surely there is quality available @ $250 level or so.  The low impedance headphones I'm using shouldn't need too much help?
TIA
« Last Edit: 5 Apr 2008, 11:12 pm by lcrim »

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
Re: Headphone amp sought
« Reply #1 on: 5 Apr 2008, 11:58 pm »
I have a Gilmore lite with dedicated ps. which i like.  A Little more then 250 unless you snag one used at head-fi
http://www.headamp.com/home_amps/lite/index.htm

the Little dot tube amps have a nice following and be gotten for a reasonable price.

and The Mini³ Amp: is a very nice unit
http://homepage.mac.com/skatsaounis/RockhopperAudio/portable.htm

you could try to snag a cordia Head-five amp  off of Head-fi i think they are in the 200 220 price range.

ED

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #2 on: 6 Apr 2008, 12:14 am »
I have had several portable headphone amps that sound good, but my latest, the Meier Corda Move, is the best I've heard.  It has an ac capability, too. 

Ted

denjo

« Reply #3 on: 6 Apr 2008, 12:21 am »
My Leben CS600 integrated amplifier has a headphone socket and in those times when I don't want to disturb the family but am note prepared to sacrifice sound, I drift away with my Grado headphones! The Leben has a superb headphone facility!

randytsuch

« Reply #4 on: 6 Apr 2008, 12:35 am »
I would look for used amps at head-fi, there is a pretty good turn over of equipment by the people over there
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f42/

See if you can find something in your price range.  Good thing about buying used at head-fi is that if you don't like what you like, you should be able to resell for close to what you paid.

Otherwise, in that price range, little dot has a good reputation.
Have you seen this review of a bunch of amps
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f14/review-comparison-22-home-headphone-amps-228751/

Randy

sabes

« Reply #5 on: 6 Apr 2008, 12:39 am »
I have had several portable headphone amps that sound good, but my latest, the Meier Corda Move, is the best I've heard.  It has an ac capability, too. 

Ted

i use this corda headamp with my imod from red wine audio and love it, esp. for travel. i do prefer my yamamoto ha-02 and my former singlepower mpx3 to the move, but for cheap money ($125) you can get nice quality tube amplification in a musical fidelity x-can v.2 and mod it with instructions from a guy named pink floyd on head-fi.org to bring it inexpensively to top-flight level (i still use this in one of my systems). another winner is the channel islands vhp-1 which you can pick up at a reasonable price used.

jazzcourier

« Reply #6 on: 6 Apr 2008, 01:11 am »
Musical Fidelity X-Can 2.With about 10 hours on it,sitting in my closet,could be sitting in your bedroom getting some use.I paid 295.00 and would be happy with 75.00,and knowing someone was getting some enjoyment out of it.

Bemopti123

« Reply #7 on: 6 Apr 2008, 02:31 am »
The Musical Fidelity is a bloody steal for $75.  I would snatch it without hesitation.   :thumb:

jazzcourier

« Reply #8 on: 6 Apr 2008, 04:52 am »
Dear Friends-This is a one time offer to icrim in response to his post.Everyone,enjoy the music and good audio kharma to all.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #9 on: 6 Apr 2008, 06:55 am »
you should be aware of these:  http://www.practicaldevices.com/index.htm

although for non-portable use it would be hard to beat the Musical Fidelity unit jazzcourier is selling!

lcrim

« Reply #10 on: 6 Apr 2008, 11:55 am »
I wanted to thank jazzcourier publicly for his great generosity.  That was a really nice gesture and I greatly appreciate it.